• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door "Cracking"?

Like I mentioned in post #19, picture the same spot with the chrome drip rail installed and you may fine the clearance between that inside edge of the door and the chrome/stainless molding becomes zero in a hurry.

Like I mentioned in post #19, picture the same spot with the chrome drip rail installed and you may fine the clearance between that inside edge of the door and the chrome/stainless molding becomes zero in a hurry.

My B7 blue car photo'd is original paint unrestored, while very close, there is no evidence of the door ever hitting the chrome drip rail. I still believe my comment #17 is appropriate. Add to that heat/cold cycling over 50 years where the metal is weakened anyway...

In my experience the cracks are the result of the weight of the mirrors and lack of upper skin support aft of the narrow part of the folded over skin. Only seen the cracks on doors with mirrors. Simple fix.

DSC01888.JPG

DSC01882.JPG

Door cracks.JPG

Last edited:
In my experience the cracks are the result of the weight of the mirrors and lack of upper skin support aft of the narrow part of the folded over skin. Only seen the cracks on doors with mirrors. Simple fix.

Good info. Surprisingly the door that is cracked on my B7 car is the one without a mirror
13808D10-1E08-45BE-984E-F49BBA5A6C95.jpeg

"Only seen the cracks on doors with mirrors", can't say that anymore.
I imagine the glass movement up and down against the cat whiskers would also stress that point over the years.

View attachment 1064151
View attachment 1064152
View attachment 1064153
No mirror factory...chrome covers it pretty much anyway. Kinda wish I put a bead there. O'well, not painting it again! I still say it's from when the skin was stamped making a weak point. Some have them, most don't
20210205_123611.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back