• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabricated Dash Woodgrain Replacements - 1968 8-Track GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
69 Coronet R/T vs 68/69 GTX...
Sorry about the fingerprints
20180313_230825.jpg
20180313_230844.jpg

Has anyone who bought a set installed them, yet? If so, please post a how to video or pics. Especially, for those of us with no fabrication or body working skills since these are flat and need to be formed to the bends in the dash frame.

P.S. This is not a knock on the quality of the dash parts. They look amazing! I just don't want to install them using my traditional 'trial and error' methods.

I've only sent 2 full sets out and am anxiously waiting for pictures and feedback on installation. @FURYDAVE is probably our best hope. Maybe we can convince him to provide photos and a how-to guide on installing them. He's going to lay eyes on them for the first time tomorrow. FINGERS CROSSED he likes them.

The other set I sent out hasn't been installed yet but @Moparbill70 seemed very stoked with them.

@lanceh13 only received the radio delete bezel and I don't know if he has installed it yet, but he was seemed happy with it.

I Will keep everyone posted. Pick them up tomorrow and will install next week. Will take photos , SoCal440GTX went way above and beyond to get them shipped and delivered on time (ahead of schedule) for my parts run to Montana.

I Will keep everyone posted. Pick them up tomorrow and will install next week. Will take photos , SoCal440GTX went way above and beyond to get them shipped and delivered on time (ahead of schedule) for my parts run to Montana.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to your report.

Dave, if you have ANY criticisms, complaints or concerns please state them here. This has been an ever changing and evolving project and I'm open to any and all feedback. Don't pull any punches.

@lanceh13 only received the radio delete bezel and I don't know if he has installed it yet, but he was seemed happy with it.

Ken, I'm very happy with mine honestly. I haven't gotten it installed but it should be installed very soon. I did do a quick test fit and I think the finish came out great. I could very easily go with keeping the originals and using the one you provided but based on quality alone I'll be purchasing the complete set and swapping out my remaining originals.

These are truly high quality reproductions and I think the fact that you did something one off when everyone else has been turning me away has truly swayed me so again thank you for the passion you've shown for our hobby and even tho my guess is there are only a limited number of these needed you still jumped all over it and made it happen.

Not to mention you stand by your product and were great to work with on mine.

Last edited:
Billy is interested in a quote for his '68 GTX. There's a pretty hefty hole in his dash so, rather than 8 track or push button, he's going to put a single DIN cd player in there.
As a parts restorer and metal finisher myself, the quality of your work looks absolutely OUTSTANDING sir! The hobby needs dedication and craftsmanship like yours.
Thanks for your time and best wishes for every success with your venture. < curtsey >

Wow it would be nice to have a replacement option like this for a 68 Coronet R/T. Can't find a non rallye dash bezel replacement anywhere. The 68 has the ribbed backing but its 2018...surely someone can replicate one!?

I have the wood grain pieces in my GTX so I had a target in-hand while trying to reproduce the look. I spent months working in Photoshop trying to get it right. Just when I thought I was close I would send a sample to the printer only to have it come back off. The computer screen never matches what you actually get from the printer. Back and forth I went until it was close enough to call it good.

My understanding is that the 68 has a black vertical ribbed look like here...
1968 Coronet Dash 11.jpg

Maybe a Photoshop expert could nail this quickly, but that ain't me. It looks complicated. Maybe rather than reproducing it digitally it could be scanned and turned into a photoshop texture. If I get some free time I'll see what I can do. Can you send a picture or scan of yours? A super close-up high quality picture would help. What does the logo on the hockey stick look like?

Here's some of the samples I created to try to get the wood grain look correct...

Swatches2.jpg
Swatches3.jpg
Swatches3 4X6.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg

Lemme see what I can do. Pics sometimes distort. Thanks for being willing to give it a shot!!

Thanks for that link. Very informative.

Now I have a concern...
#5. 1968 B-body standard instrument panel frame is not the same as 1969 B-body standard frame.
  ● -
  ● -
  ● Holes differ that attach hard plastic wood/black bezels.

This may be a HUGE issue. I have based all the holes on my 1968 pieces. If the hole locations vary for 1969 pieces the trim I send to @FURYDAVE may have to be tweaked a bit. I highly suspect the holes do not vary from one year to another so I have my fingers crossed. Since the holes are hidden behind trim extra holes could be added to cover any variances.

From the top left corner I have hole centers at appx. 5/8", 10 1/2" & 20 11/16".
Can anyone with a 69 bezel confirm these?
Thanks.

Last edited:
If you make the whole set for 68 gtx I would be interested let me know thanks

I have confirmed on our 1969 Sport Satellite that the screw hole locations between 1968 and 1969 are identical. That document is incorrect in that regard. I will contact them and suggest they update it or do further research to confirm.

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Dash_Stuff/B-body_Standard_ID.htm

#5. 1968 B-body standard instrument panel frame is not the same as 1969 B-body standard frame.
  ● -
  ● -
  ● Holes differ that attach hard plastic wood/black bezels.

Sorry for the late reply! Lots of work going on. Finally got the trim installed from SoCal440GTX. Very very nice stuff. These are NOT reproductions they are upgraded replacements. Way better design then factory and take a ton of abuse and flex.

At first glance seeing them out of the box (they come shipped flat for safety) they almost look like something for a model car when compared to the originals. Boy was I wrong!

After shaping them and installing them they fit and look perfect. They are very bright very shinny and super tough. Ken has spent alot of time mastering the fit and it shows. Very little was needed to get the install right, any questions I had ken responded immediately.

I found the best way to shape them and get the factory curve was a piece of 2.5 exhaust tube wrapped in a towel. Light pressure and a few bends came out great. Super easy material to work with and very forgiving if you make a mistake ( I made a few). If you have your original parts. Just keep bending and shaping till them match up.

Took a ton of pics. Freshened up the dash and really makes the interior pop.

Thanks Ken! Need more great people in this hobby like you taking the time to make a great product

If any more pics or info is needed would be glad to help.

20180326_164915.jpg 20180326_164912.jpg 20180326_164909.jpg 20180319_165428.jpg 20180326_150212.jpg 20180326_164924.jpg 20180326_164831.jpg 20180326_165014.jpg

Dave, I thought I'd post a couple more of your photos I thought were interesting. Thanks again.

20180319_170939_resized.jpg
20180326_164953_resized.jpg
Resized_20180319_174134_3319.jpeg

Dave, nice job. Looks outstanding!

Ken, that last pic of the back of the radio face plate shows the top of the opening on the left cut at an angle. Will this be fixed on future sets?

Dave, nice job. Looks outstanding!

Ken, that last pic of the back of the radio face plate shows the top of the opening on the left cut at an angle. Will this be fixed on future sets?

No, that's how they are supposed to be, trust me. I thought that myself at first. I even considered squaring them up anyway, but research proved it is necessary due to the angles and protrusions.

The Repop face plate does have smaller and square holes, which is another reason I considered squaring them up, but the repop does not match originals.

I have an 8-track so all this is based on pictures and speaking with Dave, no first hand knowledge. If you've got a different faceplate with square openings please post a close-up picture and take dimensions with a caliper.
Thanks.

upload_2018-3-28_12-49-31.png

upload_2018-3-28_12-44-34.png

upload_2018-3-28_12-46-11.png

upload_2018-3-28_12-48-33.png

upload_2018-3-28_12-55-11.png

Repop here...

upload_2018-3-28_12-51-45.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back