• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabricated Dash Woodgrain Replacements - 1968 8-Track GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work! Very impressive. I need a face plate for my 68 GTX 8-track.

@cuda dad, the 68 8-Track faceplate is a rarity. That's what got me started on this journey since that's what I needed for my 68 but could not find.

See pictures below...putting the replacement next to an OEM hockey stick bezel won't look quite right. The brown hue is a little off and the woodgrain texture does not flow from 1 piece to the other. Depending upon how finicky you are, this may or may not be acceptable.

20180820_214329.jpg
20180820_214510.jpg
20180820_214526.jpg
20180820_214603_001.jpg

When you are finished with the process, please pm me because I need a complete set for 1968 GTX with AM radio dash, and my console.
Semper Fidelis!

Can you make a set for the 1968 GTX with aluminum coloring instead of white?
Im talking about the outline of the GTX lettering and the horizontal lines .
I love the look, and almost bought a set at the fling, but didn't like the white outline on the lettering.
I just stumbled upon this post and it appears that you were asking opinions on white or aluminum(for the lettering trim and the lines that were originally chrome), Is this still an option?
Thank you, and again awesome product!
I was in disbelief as i was looking a sample you had handed out to me.

soCal440GTX your inbox is full. I need a set for a 69 GTX so please PM me.

Thanks

Semper Fi

soCal440GTX your inbox is full. I'm interested in the dash pieces for '68 GTX so please PM me.

Great thread. Really appreciate all the information and the hard work in producing these excellent trim pieces.
Is there a link or website for placing orders?

No link, no website. I'm still in the development stage. I do not advertise or try to push trying to sell them yet. I have made and sold a few sets for people who have asked. I did this both as a favor for them and to get feedback on what they think of them so far. They are costly and time consuming to make in small quantities. My hope is that when I get to the point that I think they are "finished", I can make quite a few sets at once to save money and make them quicker to ship to people. I think the last 2 guys waited 2 months.

Every set I've sent out, I sent before being paid and have paid for shipping myself. I tell people to make sure they are what they expect and are 100% satisfied . If not, I offer to pay for return shipping and they won't be out a dime, no hard feelings. I have yet to have to send a return label. Everyone has promptly paid also. (Most FBBO guys are stand-up fellas. Have yet to run into a scumbag.)

Thanks!

I would be interested in a set for my 1968 GTX project. Prefer the color of the one on the left if that is possible?
20170807_215450-jpg.jpg

I am not in a hurry since I have a long way to go replacing rusted metal but would like to get on your waiting list.
Willing to send you some money up front to help defray your costs.
Jim

This is just amazing work. Hats off to you. Any more progress on the 68 black with vertical lines. Its hard to find a good set. I've been buying pieces here and there for my 68 Satellite. I have an extra hockey stick in that finish if it would help you. The pervious owner painted parts of it while painting the dash. But if it would help I'm more than willing to send it to you.

20190111_133405.jpg

UPDATE! Here's the latest...hopefully this journey is nearing the end...I just need to figure a good way to adhere the acrylic to the aluminum...
This thin cyanoacrylate wicks in from the edge too deep. Perhaps a thicker adhesive would work better.
I'm open to all ideas.

20190215_074129.jpg
20190215_074140.jpg
20190215_074159.jpg
20190215_074235.jpg
20190215_074318.jpg
image (1).png

What have you come up with for a 68 R/T w/ non Rallye dash? Saw you start looking at those a few posts back.

What have you come up with for a 68 R/T w/ non Rallye dash? Saw you start looking at those a few posts back.

I tried to reproduce the black vertical appearance in Photoshop but was unsuccessful. Maybe later in the year I'll work on it again. If anyone here is good at Photoshop please contact me.

When you have a chance, your inbox is full. Id take a set for my 69 Sport Sat. No rush.

Steve, the Sport Satellite dash logo is the most complicated of them all. I have not created that one as I didn't think there would be a market for it. It's the most work for the least reward. If I get time I may work on it later in the year as well. It would be a lot easier if I knew the RGB codes for the red and blue colors in the logo.

Thanks!

69 satellite dash parts 0151.jpg

I tried to reproduce the black vertical appearance in Photoshop but was unsuccessful. Maybe later in the year I'll work on it again. If anyone here is good at Photoshop please contact me.

Thanks. I look forward to it. Hopefully someone with that Photoshop skill can lend a hand

UPDATE! Here's the latest...hopefully this journey is nearing the end...I just need to figure a good way to adhere the acrylic to the aluminum...
This thin cyanoacrylate wicks in from the edge too deep. Perhaps a thicker adhesive would work better.
I'm open to all ideas.

View attachment 721234 View attachment 721235 View attachment 721236 View attachment 721237 View attachment 721238 View attachment 721240
I still think a clear coat application might be the ticket.
Send me a scrap piece and let me give it a go.

I built a push button radio bezel with the acrylic over aluminum method. Although it's just a prototype and there are a couple of imperfections in it, it looks impressive. (video attached...)

20190219_003150.jpg
20190219_003155.jpg
20190219_003156.jpg
20190219_003202.jpg
20190219_003215.jpg
20190219_003227.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be interested SoCal. Need a set for my 68 GTX convert. Very impressive. I'd gladly send you the loot first.

Wojo, I have never and will never accept payment from a reputable FBBO member until they have received what I have made and are 100% satisfied. I will also pay return shipping. Since these are a bit unique and different people have different expectations I am more than open to someone deciding these just aren't what they are looking for.

Having said that, if you have a push button radio (not 8-track) I have the makings for a 68 GTX set right now. I need to experiment a bit more and then I'll be ready to send them out.

BUT..I really need you to install them and let me know if any adjustments are in order.

I want to get these perfect before I unleash them on the public.

PM me for further details.

Thanks!

I think it is just awesome that you care so much about quality and doing it right. Hats off to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back