• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Busy week and things are getting done . . . and rain in the forecast for tomorrow . . . ARGH ! ! !

Trying to keep on this every day and make progress, but the daylight is getting shorter and shorter . . .
But got a bunch of stuff done this week . . . and today ( tonight . . . )

Got the doorway and header all set up and in place . . .

View attachment 1542885

Then got the remainder of the fire stops in the end piece of the wall . . .

View attachment 1542886

All done, with the exception of needing a 2nd header across the top of this whole wall . . .

View attachment 1542887

Tried a different view, but the 2nd header has now been installed . . .

View attachment 1542888

With the rain in the forecast for tomorrow, they delivered the trusses today . . . at my request . . .
Showing up at the build site and ready to drop them off . . .

View attachment 1542889

But in usual "mad scientist" fashion . . . things don't always go as planned ( he was quite pissed )

View attachment 1542890

But we just grabbed them all and restacked them on 6x6 timbers so they're not sitting on the ground . . .

View attachment 1542891

The fall caused a minor mishap and a minor injury to one of the trusses and the metal straps . . .
Decided this will be the first one to go up, so it's right next to the wall and I can tie it into the wall for additional support

View attachment 1542892

and as the light is fading in the day . . . the first floor truss has been "muscled" up into place on the walls . . .
And believe it or not . . . it was all done alone ( again ) . . .

View attachment 1542893

One down and only 25 more to go . . . these will be 2' on center . . . Looking forward to some good things this weekend !

View attachment 1542894

Pretty exciting as this project is starting to make some great headway and progress . . . finally . . .
Seemed like I was in "foundation purgatory" for the last year and things were moving along so slowly ( no really )
But things did not seem to be making BIG jumps . . . like they are now . . .

This first one was a bit of a bear on the far side . . . might need to get a better pic to show you the reason . . .

Even though this one was "muscled" up into place, probably should break out the forklift and make life easier
( and probably safer for me too ) . . .

More Later . . .
Busy week and things are getting done . . . and rain in the forecast for tomorrow . . . ARGH ! ! !

Trying to keep on this every day and make progress, but the daylight is getting shorter and shorter . . .
But got a bunch of stuff done this week . . . and today ( tonight . . . )

Got the doorway and header all set up and in place . . .

View attachment 1542885

Then got the remainder of the fire stops in the end piece of the wall . . .

View attachment 1542886

All done, with the exception of needing a 2nd header across the top of this whole wall . . .

View attachment 1542887

Tried a different view, but the 2nd header has now been installed . . .

View attachment 1542888

With the rain in the forecast for tomorrow, they delivered the trusses today . . . at my request . . .
Showing up at the build site and ready to drop them off . . .

View attachment 1542889

But in usual "mad scientist" fashion . . . things don't always go as planned ( he was quite pissed )

View attachment 1542890

But we just grabbed them all and restacked them on 6x6 timbers so they're not sitting on the ground . . .

View attachment 1542891

The fall caused a minor mishap and a minor injury to one of the trusses and the metal straps . . .
Decided this will be the first one to go up, so it's right next to the wall and I can tie it into the wall for additional support

View attachment 1542892

and as the light is fading in the day . . . the first floor truss has been "muscled" up into place on the walls . . .
And believe it or not . . . it was all done alone ( again ) . . .

View attachment 1542893

One down and only 25 more to go . . . these will be 2' on center . . . Looking forward to some good things this weekend !

View attachment 1542894

Pretty exciting as this project is starting to make some great headway and progress . . . finally . . .
Seemed like I was in "foundation purgatory" for the last year and things were moving along so slowly ( no really )
But things did not seem to be making BIG jumps . . . like they are now . . .

This first one was a bit of a bear on the far side . . . might need to get a better pic to show you the reason . . .

Even though this one was "muscled" up into place, probably should break out the forklift and make life easier
( and probably safer for me too ) . . .

More Later . . .
70D4A8A7-D2C2-445E-AECA-ED5B4311524A.jpeg

And you're probably all wondering . . . How Many did he get installed this past weekend . . .

And . . . where is our update ! ! ! We're all dying to know . . . POST your progress ! ! !

Welcome to the World of the Mad Scientist . . . and life . . . and what's going on . . .

So it was started by "muscling" these 175 pound trusses into place . . . and they're heavy and . . .
NOT very fun to walk up the ladder ( ask my legs how I know this . . . ) . . .

Got # 2 installed . . .

sm_shop1127.jpg

The proceeded to get 4 more . . . or the first 6 in place myself . . . and my neighbor asked if I needed help . . .

sm_shop1128.jpg

So I had another plan with the "red-neck" tow truck . . . and we were able to get 3 more done that day . . .
So the first 9 trusses have been set in place . . .

sm_shop1129.jpg

Then comes Sunday morning . . . and my neighbor heads back over to assist again . . .
And now, with a process and a plan . . . we got 7 more installed in about 2 hours . . .
Could have done more but ran out of concrete . . .

sm_shop1130.jpg

When the inspector was not watching the build, he was enjoying the beautiful weather that we've had . . .
( by the way - if I haven't told you, the heat wave has FINALLY abated down here . . .

sm_shop1131.jpg

Then comes a wrecked 1998 Chevy Siverado on CL . . . and I've been looking for another rear differential . . .
So for $1000 - this deal could not be passed up . . . so that had to get picked up . . . and this needs to be swapped !

sm_shop1132.jpg

The cows did a bit of damage to the truck - and from what I heard, 2 of them did not make it . . .

sm_shop1133.jpg

And the last 2 days have been spent on getting this out of the truck to get in installed in my truck . . .
The one that was installed in my truck in Florida is a complete P.O.S ! ! ! Throwing oil all over the underside ! ! !
And it's howling like crazy . . . but all I can say is that is got me home . . .

sm_shop1134.jpg

So a good deal also came up on a swing set at Costco . . . and it is now sitting in my daughter's garage . . .
SO . . . I'll be heading down to FL next week to get the swing set build for my grand daughters ! ! !

Can't wait ! ! ! ( even if it takes away from the shop build . . . spoiling them is more important )

And after 2 days of working on my truck . . . my legs are starting to feel normal again . . . WHEW ! ! !

Here's the really funny thing about this . . .
- Got a shop ( though not quite finished yet ) . . .
- and I'm doing this on the grass . . .
- Go figure . . .

More Later . . .

And you're probably all wondering . . . How Many did he get installed this past weekend . . .

And . . . where is our update ! ! ! We're all dying to know . . . POST your progress ! ! !

Welcome to the World of the Mad Scientist . . . and life . . . and what's going on . . .

So it was started by "muscling" these 175 pound trusses into place . . . and they're heavy and . . .
NOT very fun to walk up the ladder ( ask my legs how I know this . . . ) . . .

Got # 2 installed . . .

View attachment 1545400

The proceeded to get 4 more . . . or the first 6 in place myself . . . and my neighbor asked if I needed help . . .

View attachment 1545401

So I had another plan with the "red-neck" tow truck . . . and we were able to get 3 more done that day . . .
So the first 9 trusses have been set in place . . .

View attachment 1545402

Then comes Sunday morning . . . and my neighbor heads back over to assist again . . .
And now, with a process and a plan . . . we got 7 more installed in about 2 hours . . .

View attachment 1545403

When the inspector was not watching the build, he was enjoying the beautiful weather that we've had . . .
( by the way - if I haven't told you, the heat wave has FINALLY abated down here . . .

View attachment 1545404

Then comes a wrecked 1998 Chevy Siverado on CL . . . and I've been looking for another rear differential . . .
So for $1000 - this deal could not be passed up . . . so that had to get picked up . . . and this needs to be swapped !

View attachment 1545405

The cows did a bit of damage to the truck - and from what I heard, 2 of them did not make it . . .

View attachment 1545406

And the last 2 days have been spent on getting this out of the truck to get in installed in my truck . . .
The one that was installed in my truck in Florida is a complete P.O.S ! ! ! Throwing oil all over the underside ! ! !
And it's howling like crazy . . . but all I can say is that is got me home . . .

View attachment 1545407

So a good deal also came up on a swing set at Costco . . . and it is now sitting in my daughter's garage . . .
SO . . . I'll be heading down to FL next week to get the swing set build got my grand daughters ! ! !

Can't wait ! ! ! ( even if it takes away from the shop build . . . spoiling them is more important )

And after 2 days of working on my truck . . . my legs are starting to feel normal again . . . WHEW ! ! !

More Later . . .
Better take "The Inspector" with you!!! Enjoy time with the grand daughter will lighten his attitude and sign-off on ANY problems with build. The girls will be happy too!!

Better take "The Inspector" with you!!! Enjoy time with the grand daughter will lighten his attitude and sign-off on ANY problems with build. The girls will be happy too!!

That's a given . . . The Inspector made the last 2 trips with me and I really doubt that I could leave without him . . .

He's really such a good boy . . . It's a treat to have him with me . . .

On the other hand, my daughter's dog does not like him ( for some reason ) . . . But we figure it out . . .

Another busy week . . . Lots got done . . . and even more hopeful for the weekend . . .

This week is my annual trip to TN for my golf league Executive meeting . . . So my truck . . .
The "noise" from the rear end that the guy put in FL for me . . . has me concerned
( and the reason the other truck was bought on CL )

Whoa . . . this is really frustrating - and the reason that I do the work on my cars myself . . .

Here's the rear end from FL that was pulled from my truck . . . and the oil under the truck is worse . . .
( I'm pretty sure it's NOT suppose to look like this . . . )

sm_shop1135.jpg

One of the drums fell off the axle . . . and parts starting falling off too . . .
- by the way - none of the rear lugs were tightened to specs ( shame on ME for trusting them . . . )

sm_shop1136.jpg

This brake shoe should probably have a bit more shoe on it too . . .

sm_shop1137.jpg

As should this one too . . .
I can't even believe that anyone ( in their right mind ) could sell this POS and put it on a truck in good conscious . . .

sm_shop1138.jpg

Part of the nice trip is the great colors in the mountains on the trip - tried to get a pic to show you . . .
BUT - this picture does NOT do it justice on how beautiful the trees actually look . . . I tried . . .

By the way - the truck is running better than it's run in years - No more humming rear end . . . WIN - WIN ! ! !

sm_shop1139.jpg

So work on the shop on Friday was a bust . . . spent the day traveling . . .
But . . . This morning, the remaining 10 trusses were put in place . . . this looks incredible - Love it ! !

sm_shop1140.jpg

Still got to get all of the secured in place - they were just set there to get them off the ground a fast as possible . . .
And . . . next, the decking will need to be installed . . . that's the plan for tomorrow . . .

sm_shop1141.jpg

Had to lay out a few pieces of the decking to see how it's going to look . . . WOW . . . is all I can say . . .

sm_shop1142.jpg

Got a little more than half that still need to be secured - but it's going much faster now . . . then decking . . .
Had the most beautiful weather this weekend, and it will continue into tomorrow . . . and early next week . . .
Hope to continue the progress tomorrow . . .

More Later . . .

That's a given . . . The Inspector made the last 2 trips with me and I really doubt that I could leave without him . . .

He's really such a good boy . . . It's a treat to have him with me . . .

On the other hand, my daughter's dog does not like him ( for some reason ) . . . But we figure it out . . .

I'd get rid of the daughter, but that's just me :)

for what it's worth, which isn't much......

I've had more fun working ON my shop that working IN my shop :rolleyes:

It took awhile, but I guess you have the truck finally broken in now? :lol:

Yeah . . . only took 400,000 miles, 4 rear ends, 3 transmissions . . . but the original engine ( which is very tired )

Go figure . . .

I'd get rid of the daughter, but that's just me :)

Nahhhh . . . this daughter was in the garage with me changing the timing chain on her Honda Civic . . .
And . . . she gave me 2 wonderful granddaughters too . . .

Would NOT give either of my daughters up for the World . . .

for what it's worth, which isn't much......

I've had more fun working ON my shop that working IN my shop :rolleyes:

I AM having a great time with this build . . . but hope that working IN it will be just a fun too ! ! 1

Madness in the Mad-Scientist World . . . One "build" is not enough . . . need more ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

If building the shop is not enough, found yet another project that needed to get done . . .

This was basically on sale at Costco . . . and I figured that my granddaughters needed this in their backyard . . .
No big deal . . . but remember that they live in Florida ( only 8 hours away )

sm_shop1143.jpg

This is the ominous beginning of the project . . . 5 boxes full of wood parts and hardware . . .
And . . . a 200 page assembly BOOK . . .

sm_shop1144.jpg

Getting started and laying it all out . . . didn't help the daunting task . . . plans were to have it done on the weekend
( 1st day of the project - mom calls from home - we have NO Water at the house . . . oh great ! ! )

sm_shop1145.jpg

Working my way through the build and now I've got a new "temp" inspector for this project . . .

sm_shop1146.jpg

Spend a whole day building on this thing, and the piles don't seem to be getting much smaller . . .
and the swing set seems to be quickly growing in size ! ! ! What took the longest - FINDING the parts in the boxes !

sm_shop1147.jpg

Keep adding parts . . . keep moving things around to find a good level spot . . .

sm_shop1148.jpg

This thing is really amazing . . . and the girls absolutely LOVE it . . . but give this a thought . . .
Me - 6' 4" and I'm trying to crawl around in this thing as it' needs to be put together - it had to be comical ! !
Obie was chillin' from his usual "inspector" job with the new "inspector" on the job . . .

sm_shop1149.jpg

Got about 90% . . . and just plain ran out of time . . . was not able to get the swings built and attached
( getting dark at 6:00 ) does not help . . . either )

sm_shop1150.jpg

Just another view of the new toy for the girls . . .

My daughter had a good laugh . . . the instructions "stated" that it would take 3 people to build the tube slide at
the end of the set . . .

sm_shop1151.jpg

Don't think I've forgotten about the shop . . . got all the decking topside and working on getting it all installed . . .
Also covering it with poly to keep the rain off of it . . . think this stuff is water proof, but I'll go the extra mile . . .

sm_shop1153.jpg

Would have stayed another day to finish up the swings, but I've got a house with no water to attend to . . .
Got home and swapped out the pressure switch ( hoping it would fix the problem ) . . . NOPE !
Call up a company and they were out at the house in about an hour . . .

Had a new pump in the well and running . . . By 3:00 ! ! !

Great young kid - is taking over the company from his dad, and I was very impressed . . . He did great !
Easy to talk to - his partner was just as easy and fun to be around . . .

Original pump was a mediocre pump, with really thin walled pipe and ground contact wire . . . he disliked ALL of it.
They also only put the pump 110 feet into the 225 foot well . . . which he also did not like . . .

New pump was all stainless ( no plastic like the one removed ) and it was dropped to 160 feet . . .
Better water pressure now ( new pump, new pressure tanks - makes sense ) . . . all new plumbing and better wire too.

So the madness has been resolved . . . for the time being . . . and back to work on getting the decking installed.

FOLLOW UP . . . my daughter and son-in-law got the swing built and attached today - it's now completed ! ! !

More Later . . .

Madness in the Mad-Scientist World . . . One "build" is not enough . . . need more ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

If building the shop is not enough, found yet another project that needed to get done . . .

This was basically on sale at Costco . . . and I figured that my granddaughters needed this in their backyard . . .
No big deal . . . but remember that they live in Florida ( only 8 hours away )

View attachment 1553734

This is the ominous beginning of the project . . . 5 boxes full of wood parts and hardware . . .
And . . . a 200 page assembly BOOK . . .

View attachment 1553735

Getting started and laying it all out . . . didn't help the daunting task . . . plans were to have it done on the weekend
( 1st day of the project - mom calls from home - we have NO Water at the house . . . oh great ! ! )

View attachment 1553736

Working my way through the build and now I've got a new "temp" inspector for this project . . .

View attachment 1553737

Spend a whole day building on this thing, and the piles don't seem to be getting much smaller . . .
and the swing set seems to be quickly growing in size ! ! ! What took the longest - FINDING the parts in the boxes !

View attachment 1553738

Keep adding parts . . . keep moving things around to find a good level spot . . .

View attachment 1553739

This thing is really amazing . . . and the girls absolutely LOVE it . . . but give this a thought . . .
Me - 6' 4" and I'm trying to crawl around in this thing as it' needs to be put together - it had to be comical ! !
Obie was chillin' from his usual "inspector" job with the new "inspector" on the job . . .

View attachment 1553740

Got about 90% . . . and just plain ran out of time . . . was not able to get the swings built and attached
( getting dark at 6:00 ) does not help . . . either )

View attachment 1553741

Just another view of the new toy for the girls . . .

My daughter had a good laugh . . . the instructions "stated" that it would take 3 people to build the tube slide at
the end of the set . . .

View attachment 1553742

Don't think I've forgotten about the shop . . . got all the decking topside and working on getting it all installed . . .
Also covering it with poly to keep the rain off of it . . . think this stuff is water proof, but I'll go the extra mile . . .

View attachment 1553743

Would have stayed another day to finish up the swings, but I've got a house with no water to attend to . . .
Got home and swapped out the pressure switch ( hoping it would fix the problem ) . . . NOPE !
Call up a company and they were out at the house in about an hour . . .

Had a new pump in the well and running . . . By 3:00 ! ! !

Great young kid - is taking over the company from his dad, and I was very impressed . . . He did great !
Easy to talk to - his partner was just as easy and fun to be around . . .

Original pump was a mediocre pump, with really thin walled pipe and ground contact wire . . . he disliked ALL of it.
They also only put the pump 110 feet into the 225 foot well . . . which he also did not like . . .

New pump was all stainless ( no plastic like the one removed ) and it was dropped to 160 feet . . .
Better water pressure now ( new pump, new pressure tanks - makes sense ) . . . all new plumbing and better wire too.

So the madness has been resolved . . . for the time being . . . and back to work on getting the decking installed.

FOLLOW UP . . . my daughter and son-in-law got the swing built and attached today - it's now completed ! ! !

More Later . . .
Wow!

And I thought I was busy...!!!

Well done sir! :thumbsup:

How did the weekend go with looming rain in the forecast . . . Wanna place a guess . . .

First . . . let's see how the inspector did . . .

sm_shop1152.jpg

Wore him out . . . LOL . . .

But now . . . for the build . . . figured get started with a simple step to get back into the swing of things . . .
( after drawing this up on SketchUp . . . I knew what my lengths needed to be . . . )
THIS . . . was the "easiest" wall section that I've EVER installed ! ! !

sm_shop1155.jpg

Then got the header in place - it's too long because I forgot that the other wall header was in the way . . .

sm_shop1156.jpg

After that . . . I could not resist getting this thing turned around the corner . . . boy did that feel good ! ! !

BUT . . . how far down the wall do you think I was able to accomplish today ( yes this was all done TODAY )

sm_shop1157.jpg

Well . . . if you guess "almost" the entire wall . . . then you were right on the mark . . . .
The first 10" section, followed by (2) 16' sections . . . do need to get the header in place for the garage door . . .

sm_shop1158.jpg

And . . . still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the back wall . . .
Actually - for this section, leaning toward the same as the other side . . . just a big blank wall . . .
Guess what that means . . . MORE concrete work . . . Again . . .

sm_shop1159.jpg

As you can see from this view, only a small section left to get this completed . . . and roof rafters go up ! ! !

sm_shop1160.jpg

A full view of the shop as it's starting to take shape . . .

sm_shop1161.jpg

Fighting getting dark early . . . rain . . . cooler temps . . . and hopefully not Snow . . .

Will be keeping at this after work and trying to continue to make progress . . . There is a GOOD thing . . .
The center section 25 x 50, covered in plastic, means that I've got that section "in the dry" and can work there . . .

Kinda . . .

Had (2) steel plates leaning against the shop side wall . . . 50' of wall to place it on . . . and we had rain . . .
Had only (1) leak from the rain . . . where . . . right on TOP of the steel plates . . .

More Later . . .

My week of progress with the limited amount of daylight available to work . . . But still not too bad ! !

This week was a series of little wins that got things done with the 1 hour of daylight that can be used . . .

Monday's task was to get the jack studs and header installed for this garage door . . .
( the night shift did it's duty and got the job done . . . )

sm_shop1162.jpg

Tuesday was a trip to Asheville to pick up some 1x6 purlins for the metal roof . . .
Sorry Devin - this was such a small load and this Mill ( which I finally found ) was only 2 hours away . . .

sm_shop1163.jpg

Wednesday's task was to get the top of this wall framed in and get ready for more weekend building . . .

sm_shop1164.jpg

Friday was a big day . . . got a whole bunch of stuff done . . . .
- finished up the last 7' section of wall and got it installed

sm_shop1165.jpg

- got a bunch of the fire stops installed on the wall
- got all the second headers installed on all the walls . . .
- got the diagonal brace install in this corner of the wall

sm_shop1166.jpg

Saturday's task was to get started on the roof rafters . . . and made a really good dent in them too !
( actually got the first one up Friday . . . had to figure out how the other side had been done - again )

sm_shop1167.jpg

- also got the other diagonal brace installed in the other corner - and (1) roof rafter at the back
( to try and keep this thing somewhat square - in the process )

sm_shop1168.jpg

- also finished up all of the fire stops in this wall

sm_shop1169.jpg

The other side - that is already built - has a 2' overhang on it . . . and this side will need the same thing . . .

sm_shop1170.jpg

So Sunday's task was to work on that and try and get that part done . . . Job completed
- expecting rain this week - so it's covered in plastic to try and keep it dry . . .

sm_shop1171.jpg

Also - got back up top on the flooring and got that last row of sub flooring fully installed to get that off my list . . .

All-in-all it was a pretty good week, and great weather, to allow me to get a bunch of stuff done . . .
Was hoping to get a bit further . . . but really can't complain as it's moving along pretty nicely ( in my opinion )

Just fighting lack of daylight, possible rain, and colder temps . . .

More Later . . .

The cooler temps are helping a bit as you know here in Carolina it is winter when you wake up. Spring by 10:30 a.m and by 2:00 it is the heat of summer. Not bad for November though. Wish I had your energy that is for sure.

My week of progress with the limited amount of daylight available to work . . . But still not too bad ! !

This week was a series of little wins that got things done with the 1 hour of daylight that can be used . . .

Monday's task was to get the jack studs and header installed for this garage door . . .
( the night shift did it's duty and got the job done . . . )

View attachment 1560181

Tuesday was a trip to Asheville to pick up some 1x6 purlins for the metal roof . . .
Sorry Devin - this was such a small load and this Mill ( which I finally found ) was only 2 hours away . . .

View attachment 1560182

Wednesday's task was to get the top of this wall framed in and get ready for more weekend building . . .

View attachment 1560183

Friday was a big day . . . got a whole bunch of stuff done . . . .
- finished up the last 7' section of wall and got it installed

View attachment 1560184

- got a bunch of the fire stops installed on the wall
- got all the second headers installed on all the walls . . .
- got the diagonal brace install in this corner of the wall

View attachment 1560185

Saturday's task was to get started on the roof rafters . . . and made a really good dent in them too !
( actually got the first one up Friday . . . had to figure out how the other side had been done - again )

View attachment 1560186

- also got the other diagonal brace installed in the other corner - and (1) roof rafter at the back
( to try and keep this thing somewhat square - in the process )

View attachment 1560187

- also finished up all of the fire stops in this wall

View attachment 1560188

The other side - that is already built - has a 2' overhang on it . . . and this side will need the same thing . . .

View attachment 1560189

So Sunday's task was to work on that and try and get that part done . . . Job completed
- expecting rain this week - so it's covered in plastic to try and keep it dry . . .

View attachment 1560190

Also - got back up top on the flooring and got that last row of sub flooring fully installed to get that off my list . . .

All-in-all it was a pretty good week, and great weather, to allow me to get a bunch of stuff done . . .
Was hoping to get a bit further . . . but really can't complain as it's moving along pretty nicely ( in my opinion )

Just fighting lack of daylight, possible rain, and colder temps . . .

More Later . . .
Are you doing the walls in sections and then lifting them up into place? Are you liftimg them in place by yourself? Are the fire stops just toe nailed in? Looks good, should have lots of space.

The cooler temps are helping a bit as you know here in Carolina it is winter when you wake up. Spring by 10:30 a.m and by 2:00 it is the heat of summer. Not bad for November though. Wish I had your energy that is for sure.

Yes indeed . . . a bit cool in the mornings, that's for sure . . . but it's been warming up very nicely by midday . . .

( wish I had my energy too . . . just need to get this thing in the dry ASAP . . . )

Are you doing the walls in sections and then lifting them up into place? Are you lifting them in place by yourself? Are the fire stops just toe nailed in? Looks good, should have lots of space.

Are you doing the walls in sections and then lifting them up into place? Yes - 16' maximum in length

Are you lifting them in place by yourself? Yes - with the help of my cherry picker . . . and another unidentified "helper" . . .

Are the fire stops just toe nailed in? Yes/No . . . one side is screwed in directly - the other side, where the block exist goes in from the opposite side
So they both get set pretty good with the screws ( no nails (maybe a few) are being used in this project )

sm_shop1172.jpg

Looks good, should have lots of space. Thanks ! ! ! That's the plan - a place to tinker on projects . . .

Long Holiday weekend with expectations to get a lot done . . . but . . .

Well, when you don't really know how you're going to get a job done,
you have to take time and figure it out . . . That's what slowed me down . . . greatly this weekend . . .

Got my center beam in place . . . and half of a truss up . . . but the other half ? ? ? how ? ? ?

On top of that - building these trusses caused me some grief and a better plan for building them . . .

Lot of thinking was done this weekend . . . re-planning - redesigning - cause there was no Plan A . . .

sm_shop1173.jpg

The first truss was built as a single . . . not fun . . . found out that the screws went through the other side
( and into my new concrete . . . ugh ! ) Which means - both plywood pieces need to be in place when securing it . . .

So after a bit of thought, I had to come up with a plan to have BOTH plywood webs in place . . . but How ? ? ?

So this is my building form - my Sketchup design provided me a tip to tip measurement - so it's marked on the left board
( even though you probably can't see it . . . )

sm_shop1174.jpg

The the other piece is set into the form and - again - the line should be close to the point of the truss . . . it is !
On this board you can actually see the pencil mark on the board for alignment . . .

sm_shop1175.jpg

After that - the Sketchup layout provided me the center height - and a board was built to establish the height

- once they were set in place . . . made sure all alignment marks were correct, and the center angles were close
- if not - this allowed for me to make a slight cut and adjust one ( or both ) board angles . . . as needed . . .

sm_shop1176.jpg

Once everything looked good, glue was applied to both plywood truss webs and put into place . . .
Setting them up on cinder blocks allowed both sides to be set in place at one time ( and not screw into my concrete )

sm_shop1177.jpg

The use of the clamps GREATLY helped this part of the build . . . allowed for final alignment and let the screws
go through INTO the opposing web for better shear force holding . . . Huge speed improvement too . . .

sm_shop1178.jpg

Next, for setting the screws, they were offset a bit from the front and the back . . .
- the front ones are set in the web . . .
- the 2 screws set on the bottom show the location for the back side of the web ( very good coverage )

sm_shop1179.jpg

The screws set into the back side of the truss - yeas leaving the clamps on help this step as well ! !

sm_shop1180.jpg

Here are 8 trusses that were built this morning . . . takes about 10-15 minutes to build one of them . . .
( of course - these are being built on ground . . . and where do they "need" to be . . . upstairs . . . ARGH !

sm_shop1181.jpg

So . . . they all got carried up the ladder and set upstairs for installation . . . when I get a plan . . .
( or has a plan already bee figured out . . . ) Sorry . . . my 10 picture limit has been reached . . .

sm_shop1182.jpg

Was hoping to have a good many of these things installed, but forgot that they also needed to get built too !

Ruh Roh Shaggy . . . Working on getting things figured out on how to "safely" get these thing into place . . .
Little bit intimidating standing on a ladder, on the second floor with a long drop right next to you . . .

My entire stack of 10' boards has been moved to my shop area . . .
- all of the boards have a 17 degree angle on one side - these have ALL been cut into the boards
- then the side board also has a 34 degree angle - ALL of these have been cut into the boards
- lastly the top board also needs a 22 degree angle - ALL of these have been cut into the boards . . .

And . . . all of the plywood webs need to be cut out of 4 x 8 plywood . . . ( oh boy ! ! ! )

Now all I've got . . . is a whole LOT of trusses that need to be built . . .

More Later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back