• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat Tappet Cam Info... Don't let the southern drawl fool ya... This guy knows what he's talking about.........

but it's hard to believe thats a problem when the cam/lifter carnage has only been happening for 10 or so years. Why weren't there wipeout problems of this magnitude prior to that?
We're all guilty of it but just to be clear, that ten years? It's probably twenty.... :lol:

Still don't understand that car manufactories used flat tappet cams for years and never had a lot of problems and they didn't have machine technology like we have today. To bad no one has a new old cam and lifters from back then , be interesting to check the cam and lifter machining and metal quality .
Remember back in the late 70's with small block Chevy engines eating cams? I helped my dad change the one in his welding service truck. 2 lobes were round the lifters were dished. It happened to 305's and 350's and I don't really remember if they ever figured out what was wrong with them.
My last 2 flat tappet solid cams were Howard's with EDM lifters and Gibbs BR30 oil with zero issues.
Gus

Remember back in the late 70's with small block Chevy engines eating cams? I helped my dad change the one in his welding service truck. 2 lobes were round the lifters were dished. It happened to 305's and 350's and I don't really remember if they ever figured out what was wrong with them.
My last 2 flat tappet solid cams were Howard's with EDM lifters and Gibbs BR30 oil with zero issues.
Gus
Chevies usually ate the exhaust lobes on 6 & 8...... Lotta people said it had to do with the EGR passage being right there...

Gus
I know people that worked at one of the Republic Steel facilities in Massillon Ohio. I can’t remember the details but there was supposed to be a connection to sub standard material from those plants and the bad Chevy cams.

And precisely WHY would the man's accent/speech patterns preclude him from being knowledgeable? :(
:confederateflag:

They don't at all... But it was written with a bit of humor... So lighten up Francis..... :poke: :poke: :lol:
I can't help what I feel.
When someone looks or sounds so much different than what you are used to, it is distracting a bit.

We're all guilty of it but just to be clear, that ten years? It's probably twenty.... :lol:
Ok. Makes me even more comfortable with the Comp SFT in the engine that Indy did for me. Bought it in 2013, they dyno'd it but I have not run it. Roller replacement is in the back of my mind since the engine is out and easily accessible.

Thanks 1 Wild....
Good info here.
The 440 I just recently got running
after 30 years of sitting on an engine
stand has a cam (TRW) that is no
longer available. After run in, the lifters
(TRW) started rattling pretty bad.
Pulled the intake and lifters to
investigate.
The lifters were impacted with dried
lithium grease. The rocker shafts on
both banks were cracked from the