• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frnknsteens '69 Charger project

Mike,
The shop that you are using far exceeds the norm. That is really good that they are documenting and relating the areas that they are addressing. It is a shame that other shops cannot be half as efficient in letting the owner know what is going on. Also from looking at the shop and the cars being worked on, it just validates that this is a restoration shop and not just another hack joint.

I fully understand the aspect of sending certain items out to be redone. Sometimes the return on your time or the special tools to do the job makes it more appropriate to send the assembly out to be done.

Now the big question is will we be seeing it next year at the Nats? I look forward to seeing it.
Richard

Thanks Richard,

I have been up there a couple of times and everything I have seen has been very nice and good quality work. Each invoice has a complete breakdown of the work that was done, the person who did it, and the hours logged. I've dealt with a couple other shops that either didn't get anything done, or what they did had to be reworked. The invoices get to be a bit staggering, but I wanted it done quicker than I could do, and after all these years of having it, I want to be able to enjoy it while I still can.

I'm thinking it should be done in time for nationals next year. My guess is sometime late spring or early summer. Just got pictures of the paint work starting. Since we live in the country and have a steep gravel driveway, and the car was originally an undercoated car, I opted to have them spray Rhino Lining on the underside in the same areas the factory undercoating would have been. Looks like original asphalt undercoating, but will be durable and stand up to rocks while driving. Rest of car will be painted in all the areas they originally were.

Mark

Last edited:
Here's a few pictures I received of the initial paint work on all the jams, engine compartment, trunk, and hood/trunk undersides. I need to see it in person, but I think I am going to be very happy with the color I chose!

DSCN6691 (640x480).jpg DSCN6697 (640x480).jpg DSCN6707 (640x480).jpg

Will be a stunning car!!!

Thanks Richard. We have a date set to paint the exterior the second week of December. I will be driving up to watch it get painted and will be bringing all the weather-stripping and insulation I bought from you at the nationals.

Can't wait to see the paint completed!

Mark

Gorgeous. That color exterior with a white top and interior is one of my favorite combos!!

Well,.... Got back from my trip to watch the Charger get painted. Drove all day Wednesday from southern Indiana to northern Minnesota so I could be at the shop bright and early Thursday morning, when they planned to start the painting. When I got there they were closing up the booth and doing the final wipe-down of the car. Car was then sprayed with sealer and ready for base coat.

1213180939.jpg 1213180948.jpg 1213181037.jpg 1213181041a.jpg 1213181046b.jpg 1213181055a.jpg 9422.jpeg

The last of the three coats of base was actually sprayed of Friday morning. That allowed the painter to look over the whole body and address any areas that had any issues. Nothing major.... A couple areas that needed some small attention, and a few that needed just a little light sanding scuff. Each spot was built back up slightly to level everything back out and the last coat of base was applied.

After taking a little break to let everything flash off properly and grab some lunch. Started shooting the clear right after lunch. First coat was over the whole car, including the roof that will be covered by the white vinyl top. Two more coats went on the body only. One more final coat (fourth coat) went over the whole car to blend everything in.

1214181251.jpg 1214181253.jpg 1214181253a.jpg 1214181256a.jpg 1214181301.jpg 1214181442b.jpg 1214181444a.jpg 1214181444.jpg 1214181445.jpg 1214181445b.jpg

Can't tell you how excited I was!! After having this car for nearly 30 years, seeing it abck together and in paint is a dream come true!!
LOVE the color!! Pictures just don't do it justice, even the ones below when we put a sun lamp on it to see the flake. Didn't realize there was white and blue pearl in this color either, but it became apparent when they sunlight from the lamp hit it. Can't wait to see it after it has been cut & buffed.

Pics with the Sun Lamp shining on it:

1214181446.jpg 1214181446a.jpg 1214181449.jpg 1214181449a.jpg

Man I know you're happy!

Based on those pics I would be extremely happy...Looks very very very nice!

Amazing. These old colors look so good.

Thanks guys! I couldn't be happier with how the color came out,... especially after the clear (obviously). Even the painter kept saying how much he liked the color choice. Said he gets tired of reds, blacks, and blues, and that it was nice to have something that was different.

A friend of mine from Fargo drove down to watch the basecoat go on. He took some pictures too. So once the clear was done on Friday, he matched up the same angles from his pictures and mine to show the "Before & After" of the clear coat. Different cameras, so the hue of the color was a little different, but still shows the change...

9538.jpeg 9540.jpeg 9542.jpeg

Can't tell you how excited I was!! After having this car for nearly 30 years, seeing it abck together and in paint is a dream come true!!
LOVE the color!! Pictures just don't do it justice, even the ones below when we put a sun lamp on it to see the flake. Didn't realize there was white and blue pearl in this color either, but it became apparent when they sunlight from the lamp hit it. Can't wait to see it after it has been cut & buffed.

Pics with the Sun Lamp shining on it:

View attachment 691936 View attachment 691937 View attachment 691938 View attachment 691939
That color is BADAZZ!........Perfect for a charger

That color is BADAZZ!........Perfect for a charger

Thanks Justin!! I'm pretty happy with the final choice. I went back and forth from yellow, to Q5, to the original B3. Finally landed on the '68 LL1 after seeing a couple at Nationals

Thanks Justin!! I'm pretty happy with the final choice. I went back and forth from yellow, to Q5, to the original B3. Finally landed on the '68 LL1 after seeing a couple at Nationals
You nailed it my friend!........Will it be a white interior?

I had forgotten all the different body lines these cars had, and how they all come together as the profile of the front fenders blend with the profiles from the rear quarters. I'm attaching a couple pictures my friend took while he was there on Thursday after all the base coat was on. I love how the rear quarter cuts through the flow of the front fender and into the door vents. Reminds me of a fighter jet. For whatever reason, I forgot about the center hump of the hood too, and how it splits the hood impressions in the last picture.

9440.jpeg 9441.jpeg 9450.jpeg

You nailed it my friend!........Will it be a white interior?

Yep,... White top, white interior, white tail stripe.

I'm a little concerned about all that white inside, so I am thinking of having Legendary make me a custom set of seat covers that have just a touch of turquoise to break it up. Very subtle though. Thinking of just doing the beading around the inserts and around the collars and skirts in dark turquoise that matches the body color (well,... just a touch darker), then having the insert stitching and buttons also be turquoise, then matching turquoise carpet and dash pads.

I know the original dashes were black on the white interior cars, but I always thought it didn't look right to have all that black, when it was the only black in a white interior.

Auto Transport Service
Back