• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end alignment question??

pedal2themetal

Local time
9:19 AM
Reaction score
HI,
I know nothing about alignments But I just had an alignment done at a shop and the Rt. Front still has some red items in it in fact one went from green to red? What would cause this. Twice its been done and some red was left on the left side.. the first time the guy did say looks like the spindle is bent? would that cause those numbers..
front end1.jpg

Thanks take care be safe
tim

Steering axis inclination and included angle are not adjustable. I don’t understand why they would have changed. Usually a bent part such as a spindle, bent ball joint stud. Did they check the suspension parts?

That makes no sense. Your initial readings were not that far out so the correction adjustments were minimal. To see that much of a difference your initial would have to be way out. For what it shows the adjustments to not warrant that much of a change. If the car handles properly I would not worry about it. If unsure get it rechecked. Most all the time bent parts will not allow the alignment to get into specs.

Looks ok to me. I only worry about camber, caster, toe, and total toe. Almost looks like a bias ply alignment. On radials & PS I have them shoot for as much caster as possible first then dial in the camber. Each side is a little different for road crown. Should be no drama with toe and getting the steering wheel straight. You usually don’t get every single spec green on modern machines with old cars. As @pnora says, if it goes down the road straight and steering wheel is straight then it’s good.

In a previous post I wrote :
I rebuilt the front end on my 66 Charger about 4 years ago. After re-build ,took it to my local tire shop I have been doing business with for probably 12 years now with all our families other 4 cars. Great folks, but not so good aligning an older car. Had it back to them twice but never really right.
Gave them the specs from the "skosh" alignment below that was recommended on this and other forums for a B Body. https://www.allpar.com/threads/turn...erformance-on-classic-mopars.237041/realizing Finally asked a friend, Ford Guy, who is into older Mustangs who he uses that really knows what they are doing with alignment on older cars. He put me in touch with a local Mopar collector who sent me to a small shop he uses about hour from my home. This alignment guy was not an old timer, but about 35 or so I guess, but this guy got it right first time ! Guaranteed his work, told me "it would be perfect when he was done" and it was and still is.. Sometimes you just need the right person doing the alignment.

Might add that I'm running Cooper Radial GT tires on the car. Similar to BF Goodrich Radial TA's. that I had for many years..

Last edited:
HI Thinks guys
Now I forgot to say .I had the rear re-arched and them give me a 1" rake before this alignment....I had him raise the front 1" above stock due to low hanging exhaust, But it looks like its 2" to high, there like a 2-3 inch gap between the top of the tire and the opening, car sits almost front up. .... Question : Can I lower it a little (adjust the torsion bolts evenly) with out messing up the alignment?

Thanks again take care be safe
tim

HI Thinks guys
Now I forgot to say .I had the rear re-arched and them give me a 1" rake before this alignment....I had him raise the front 1" above stock due to low hanging exhaust, But it looks like its 2" to high, there like a 2-3 inch gap between the top of the tire and the opening, car sits almost front up. .... Question : Can I lower it a little (adjust the torsion bolts evenly) with out messing up the alignment?

Thanks again take care be safe
tim
Lowering the car will change the alignment. How much is a guess. The alignment should be done with all components in good condition and at the desired ride height. Myself to fully answer your initial concerns when you made this post along with the front being to high now is this. Set the ride height and get the alignment redone.

HI,
OK thanks, the car only has 79T miles on it .. in November they did a shake down and replaced control arm bushing and radish arm bushing. So I think I'm good on parts.. (Commercial tire Co.)
Maybe I'll take it back and ask them to lower the front end to 1" above the front tire and re set the alignment..

thanks again take care be safe
tim

Make sure they set the correct height first. They should roll the car back and forth and push down to bounce the suspension on each adjustment. Then recheck height and adjust accordingly until perfect.

I went through this a few months ago. I asked them to adjust front height to factory specifications, as the right side was 12mm lower than the left, then do an alignment. I had brand new shocks all round so knew it wasn't a bad shock absorber. I even gave them a printout of factory height and alignment specs.

It came back wonky as they didn't roll it back and forth and bounce it so they had to redo it free.

Auto Transport Service
Back