• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear ratio suggestions

The 8-3/4 version quality is supposedly bad. Dr. Diff won't sell them anymore, see their website.
eatonTrueTrac.png

dam now I'm shattered i got nothing but good reviews from my diff builder he's installed hundreds of them but he didn't specify 8.75

Hard to find anyone complaining, maybe you'll not have issues. Here is a thread from forabodiesonly, one reply talking more about a problem with them.
Sure Grip unit feels much better than Eaton TruTrac did..

Dr Diff sells a competing unit, 6 rather than 4 worm gears. Maybe check that out, it sure looks unique... I thought it was just a spool from the picture.

Last edited:
I've put a couple of them in my cars over the last 10 years or so, never a problem at all. They all work perfectly.

They sell both "Smooth" and "Aggressive" clutch rebuild kits for the Dana 44 and the 8 3/4 Powerlok setups which the internals are basically the same except for some of the Dana 44's have a 19 spline side gear instead of the more common 30 spine setup.

Lost sleep over the weekend thinking the worst about this TrueTrac & all for nothing.I spoke to my diff mechanic today and he only reassured me these units are the bee's knee's and that he's never had one complaint or rework since he's been installing them except one which ended up being a bad wheel bearing and not the TrueTrac.Which comes to prove kids never believe everything you read on the internet Lol

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back