• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gunman at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, and expected, the debate going on around here and the country right now is all about guns, guns, guns. Also as usual, and expected, the person who committed this horrendous act was a person with severe emotional and psychological issues. Issues that were well diagnosed, well understood, and well known. The common thread to all these attacks isn't the weapons used, it's the people committing them.....
What is different between the current times and the past is how we deal with people with these severe physiological problems.... In the past, these guys would have been institutionalized.... They would have been locked up and kept away from the general populace so they couldn't harm anyone.... We don't need gun control. What we need is to get the crazies under control, just as our fathers, and their fathers, and every other generation before has done. And maybe if we weren't wasting trillions of dollars helping those who could help themselves, we would have the money to adequately deal with the people who can't help themselves.

Amen to that Bruzilla, may all the victoms of this hannis dispicable act all rest in peace.... That last sentence you wrote there, is about all that needs to said.... Last I looked, we have 100's of millions of guns in this country, maybe billions, as we are a free nation, it's our right to own & bare arms, it's part of our moral fabric & way of life/history, these are usually isulated events, usually commited by someone severly fucked up mentally, seems like they happen around the holidays too, when people are even more stressed out... IMHO the 1st knee jerk reaction is to blame the gun, instead of the root of the problem, the sick fucken' person behind that gun pulling the trigger & not the gun itself....

i made a spelling error in one of my posts today.....I BLAME THIS KEYBOARD!
i cracked my knuckles on an exhaust pipe today changing a starter....I BLAME THE RATCHET
i burned myself taking the meatloaf out when it was done....I BLAME THE OVEN !!!
i cut myself making mashed potatoes...I BLAME THE KNIFE!

I THINK WE SHOULD BAN ALL KEYBOARDS, RATCHETS,OVENS, AND KITCHEN UTENSILS!:headbang:

Rusty, Tpodwdog you guys won't get banned. There is no forum without you guys.
thanx Mopar dude with the HOTT babe on your avatar......i dont need that kinda pressure. (hahahaha) ...and its already happened!

I don't know the details but I agree, tpodwdog you should have the same set of rules as everyone else on this board.

There's another problem that needs to be taken into account. Human beings have a deeply rooted need for accountability. When something bad happens, someone or something must be held accountable. The problem is most of these mass killers end up killing themselves. While they pay the ultimate price for their crimes, they are not able to be held accountable for what they did. There is no trial, no lengthy period of discussion during the discovery process, and no sense of justice when the peoples' verdict is handed down or carried out. There is only the crime, and a speedy end, and that never sits well with people. They want someone to blame, to hold accountable. So they attack family members, the NRA, gun owners, etc., to fulfill their need to feel justice has been served and it doesn't matter whether those folks are to blame or not since fixing blame isn't the reason behind the attacks.

I think accountability is a huge problem with our society, hence so many lawsuits (spilled hot coffee on laps etc) because they are chasing where to get money as opposed to where the blame really lies.
I do have couple questions for you guys. I've been trying to investigate this. I heard reports the shooter at the Conn school had asbergers or some sort of mental/personality issues? Has this been verified? I thought it had been but trying to carify. If so why were the guns even accessible for him? If people have mental capacity issues reguardless of age those around them should accept the responsibility and accountablility to keep them locked away (ie a safe) for the safety of themselves and others. I do own guns and also keep them locked up in safes only to be brought out under my supervision so that ANYONE who comes into my house cannot access them reguardless of who they are. I am responsible for my guns so I take steps to keep them out of other's hands.
It also irritates me to think of how much more money the country uses to hire protection for poitical officials and people in the spotlights (movie stars etc) yet we leave our kids unprotected. Are those adults worth less as a person, no but the kids deserve so much more than what they get!

He had access to the guns for a couple of reasons. First they were his mother's guns. Second, they could have been his guns since HIPPA laws prohibit mental health professionals from feeding out information on a patient to the decision makers who allow gun purchases. The only check on these purchases is a person saying "yes" when asked if they've ever been diagnosed with a mental problem, and as we see time and time again... the honor system doesn't work well here. So, privacy or access to lethal weapons, which is more important?

The other issue is 40 years ago, this kid would have been in a mental hospital, not living at home with a mother who apparently did her best to control him but lacked the training and ability to do it.

I have lots of guns at my house, and none of them are locked up... but then again none of my three kids or wife have ever shown signs of mental illness either. ;) If I knew any one of them did have such problems, those guns would be locked up but good.

Oh I understand the HIPPA laws (to an extent). I was just hinting at the personably resposible issues here. My wife works in the mental field and even tries to work with the schools to set up tradgedy response protocols and some of the tools they need (even on a national level) but a lot of the schools are resistant, sad. Even the funding needed to do this is somewhat limited, sad again. Her & I agree there are far too limited resources for people with mental illnesses and especially for adults with them. They are usually left roaming the streets. I'm really not sure what the best or ultimate fix forthe problem is but I do believe the break down of families, misuse of media and production of such mind boggling graffic games is not helping the situation.
I grew up on a farm in Eastern Oregon where our guns weren't locked up but on gun racks. We were around them a lot and were taught very stringently the importance of how deadly they are and how to deal with them in safe manors. But now I live in a different place and even time where I lock them up (initially because my wife insisted) but can see the value of it. I don't want our guns taken away from us, just for responsibility to become more of a part of them again.

so, did any of you other ladies or gentlemen see this article or news report? Here is a link, http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html . I hope that link works for ya. Instead of reporting so much on the actual shooter people like this should be brought into the limelight. People like this gentleman are the ones I feel most comfotable and confident in having a conceiled carry permit. He showed extememe caution, rationality, concentration and sensibility during his time of action. His mental awareness during a frantic time should be comended. Remember his name and his actions before the shooters! Above all remember those injured of killed though. Pathetic that this was the ONLY news or media companies that reported it, but then I'm not surprised. Just something for people to think about.
Good day all!

- - - Updated - - -

so, did any of you other ladies or gentlemen see this article or news report? Here is a link, http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html . I hope that link works for ya. Instead of reporting so much on the actual shooter people like this should be brought into the limelight. People like this gentleman are the ones I feel most comfotable and confident in having a conceiled carry permit. He showed extemem caution, rationality, concentration and sensibility during his time of action. His mental awareness during a frantic time should be comended. Remember his name and his actions before the shooters! Above all remember those injured of killed though. Pathetic that this was the ONLY news or media companies that reported it, but then I'm not surprised. Just something for people to think about.
Good day all!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry that got posted twice. My phone does weird things on me.

RAT....buddy...pal.....do you guys know WHYYYYYYYYYYY i got banned....well im gonna tell ya....and i could possibly get banned again but im not one to hold back and you guys know that.

i got banned because i had mentioned in a post that i am an Atheist. and there is no need for talk of religion like so much is going on andddddddddddddddd...according to the rules of this forum...IT IS PROHIBITED. ,,but yet thats all i have been seeing in ALOT of posts political posts or not

now....if i got banned because of it...you all should be also....RIGHT MODS ???? now...if we are going to play here....LETS PLAY FAIRLY. now again...if someone wants to blow the whistle on me...GO AHEAD! all ya gotta do is klik that little triangle over there .

I'm sorry, I want to clear the air here. You were not banned because you spoke of religion nor race. You received infractions for these things, but not banned because of it. You were banned for being disrespectful of other members, name calling, etc...................... You banned yourself.

On another note, I let this thread go on because the shooting was a horrible incident, and I wanted to let people acknowledge there feeling on this. But it seems that some of you guys can't talk about much without religion or race being involved.

Oh well, I guess it's another thread closed. :closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back