• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

has anyone bought a car in Canada

44070dart

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
has anyone bought a classic car in Canada and brought it over to US.. looking for someone who actually did it ...I'm wondering about documentation and how you paid for it ...I've seen a DMV HS-7 form and 3520-1 EPA form ..don't think you can bring 15,000 cash over ..the car I'm looking at was an American car originally

I bought my 65 Coronet from Canada, paid for it with a wire transfer (which my banker strongly advised me not to do) and had a broker bring it back across for me no problems. I realize my situation isn't much help as you seem to want to bring it back yourself. Just make sure you get everything straight ahead of time to avoid delays and problems. Good luck :thumbsup:

I was looking at one in Ontario also. I checked it out some. I believe you have to pay a sales tax to Canada, and there is an Import fee at the border. You may be able to file for a refund for the Canadian tax ? After that, we have our NYS tax to add on also. I was thinking of asking the owner to drive it over, exchange the funds, and then try to get the car registered. I'd also like to speak to someone who has been successful in returning a U.S. made car...

Can't you just bring a money order over for the $15k or whatever? They must have banks up there that are either U.S. Based or will accept money order from an American bank. I understand the cash thing - but a money order as well?

I don't know that's why I'm asking for someone who has done this ..there is the question of exchange on a money order, if its the same rate as cash

I don't know that's why I'm asking for someone who has done this ..there is the question of exchange on a money order, if its the same rate as cash
Hopefully someone will chime in - but just to start why not call an international bank here or there to find out.

will do ....... going to my DMV and the border tomorrow, see what they say .. been getting a lot of conflicting BS elsewhere

Couple of thoughts for you. You cannot take more than $10k cash across the border. Bank transfer is the way to go; protects both parties. You can transfer money bank to bank. Send a nominal deposit to proof that the transfer works between the banks. Worked for me when I purchased a car in the US. Some transfers may take 48 hours to process. Cheques, money orders, other paper can be forged and should not be trusted. Tax is paid upon registration of the car, so you as a US buyer would not pay Canadian tax from a private seller. If you purchased from a business/dealership, then you likely pay local sales tax upon purchase and then request a refund. I believe you now need a broker to get the car from Canada to the US. Typically the border point of entry needs to be advised of your import 48 - 72 hours in advance of you crossing the border. Good luck.

Couple of thoughts for you. You cannot take more than $10k cash across the border. Bank transfer is the way to go; protects both parties. You can transfer money bank to bank. Send a nominal deposit to proof that the transfer works between the banks. Worked for me when I purchased a car in the US. Some transfers may take 48 hours to process. Cheques, money orders, other paper can be forged and should not be trusted. Tax is paid upon registration of the car, so you as a US buyer would not pay Canadian tax from a private seller. If you purchased from a business/dealership, then you likely pay local sales tax upon purchase and then request a refund. I believe you now need a broker to get the car from Canada to the US. Typically the border point of entry needs to be advised of your import 48 - 72 hours in advance of you crossing the border. Good luck.
You can take over 10 thousand across the border. you must declare it thats all.

Correct, you can enter Canada with more than $10,000 CDN, but it must be declared. Be aware of the exchange rate if carrying that much cash. Declaration will likely trigger additional detailed questions, but hopefully not the rubber glove. There are penalties for not declaring.

If you are going to border to check on things why not cross and open a Canadian bank acct at the same name bank as owner of the car you wish to buy then it is an inhouse transfer branch to branch with no wait time

i just wired the money 13 k then used a broker and kanuk towing inc they hauled it across the border kept it in a locked compound till my shipper picked it up no trouble the broker 350$ towing company 400$ shipper to florida 1000$

Auto Transport Service
Back