View attachment 1466468
I pulled my headers from my 70 on Monday, and brought them up to my father-in-law's shop. Of course, they bolted right up and fit perfectly - they are TTI headers after all!
View attachment 1466471
I then ran the engine. I have a couple of short video's but I don't feel like posting it on YouTube. Imaging the above picture going vroom vroom! By the way, note my custom electronic ignition wiring on top of the gas tank!
Overall, here is the report card from running the engine about 40 minutes total:
I detected no oil leaks, the engine runs strong and idles nicely. Basically, it behaves just like it should!. It also twists the whole run stand with torque when you rev the engine - that's a good sign.
The only thing I am not thrilled about is the oil pressure. For break-in, I was running straight 30 weight special break-in oil. My oil pressure at idle, once hot, hovered around 20, or even just a smidge under that. I knew I had extra clearance in my mains, but I was hoping for a little more pressure than that. 20W-50 oil will help that. Now this was with a standard oil pump, so we quickly ordered a high flow oil pump and I will bolt that on before the engine goes into the car. This should help some and then I can adjust my oil to get good oil pressure at idle.
Next I broke it down and put the engine in my truck for the ride home.
View attachment 1466472
Now getting it into my garage proved to be a challenge. I have special beams that can handle engines, but my 70 was now "dead on the lift", so I couldn't back into my garage. I had to bring the engine in through my side doors. There wasn't enough clearance for the tailgate so I even had to remove a door!
View attachment 1466473
Here is a view from inside
View attachment 1466474
But, it all worked out and now the engine is on my engine stand in my garage. Now I will glean it up, paint it, and then replace the 383 with this one.
View attachment 1466475
Still some work to do but making progress!!!