• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help getting up and down

Cornpatch MO

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Lets see what idea's there are out there. Problem: I am near 71 Years old. Just had one knee replacement and the other needs to be done. I need to finish up several things on my 64 Dodge project which involves a lot of under the car work -----What would be a way to get up and down ( on concrete) without getting on my knees? No, not the high dollar creeper that will sit you up ! There has to be a way(s). Maybe some kind of a home made seat that I could roll onto and off of that would lift at least a little higher than a chair? ....Thoughts?.....................MO

Do you have anyone younger in the family that would be willing to learn and help out that could do all the labor as you guide them through it?

I fold a couple of old towels to make them thicker and then I lower myself down with a chair to my knees and I also keep two 4x8 sheets of 1/2"plywood on the floor where I am rolling around, I wish I did this many years ago. You need a helper to do the gopher work. I hope this can help you Cornpatch Mo. Good luck

48303_700x700.jpg
Z09530fo5oy.JPG
g-force-p30-2-point--full-safety-harness.jpg
Hi Corn, other than having a pit dug in your garage try mounting an electric hoist on a I-beam in the sealing, lift your self up and down to the floor. I feel your pain I'm 52 one left knee bone on bone, injection jell crap, other one just tore the meniscus Second time , and dealing with arthritis in knees and shoulders. I use thick kneeing pads if I have to be on my knees. good luck Corn, God bless
Z-3CH0fo5oz.JPG

My pop who is 77 had his knee replaced about 10 yrs ago still works in his shop. He uses a hvy duty foam pad like in the pic above, but he also wrapped in in a decent quality towel thats duct taped to it. Gives him enough cushion for the knee to get down to his creeper. Hes 6 foot and 260ish not a small guy. This works for him, but I understand everyone is different

I had a hip replaced a month before I turned 47 (I'm 54 now). Before that, I had to do all kinds of weird rolling around like a turtle to get myself back up off of the floor to work around my bad hip. Kind of like when Starsky and Hutch would run and roll as they were getting shot at - but much slower! It was almost impossible for me to get up without using my hands and arms. It's better now, but I still have to be careful and protect that expensive, bionic hip. I'll probably have to have the other one replaced eventually. When I was still recovering from my surgery, I put a different rearend in my '64. I was laying on my side trying to protect my new, healing hip while I was lining up one of the leaf springs with the front hanger and then, POP! I partially tore my biceps. LOL If it's not one thing, it's another!

With my bad hip, I was able to use my knees a lot, so I can imagine how hard it would be to not be able to use your knees as much, Steve. I don't have any good ideas for how you can get to the floor and back without relying a lot on your knees. As has been suggested, padding should help, though.

I read this thread to my wife. Interesting how many in our group are getting to the age where these physical issues of ours are as prevalent as the mechanical issues of the cars we have!

Hi Cornpatch......boy, do I feel your pain. I'm 70 years old and had both knees replaced. I constantly have to get up/down to work on my car---and getting on my knees is NOT AN OPTION. I usually have a chair nearby that I can use to assist somewhat. I pull myself somewhat up on the chair--get in some twisted figure and normally find my legs are not cooperating. To the outsider, it must look like a "monkey f###ing a football". Please keep us posted as I need a solution as well.

Depending on how strong your user body is I left my cherry picker setup with a Cain bolted to it (chain couldn't move) and used that to get up . But I'm built like a brick **** house my upper body is well built so can't say this is feasible for all!

Do you have anyone younger in the family that would be willing to learn and help out that could do all the labor as you guide them through it?
No, I had thought about a young " apprentice" But I really want to do it myself . I would still need to be under the car to make sure it was done right ! .. 8-) .......................MO

I had bi-lateral replacements. Kneeling is a "no-way" for me. I have to sit or lay and crawl.

I fold a couple of old towels to make them thicker and then I lower myself down with a chair to my knees and I also keep two 4x8 sheets of 1/2"plywood on the floor where I am rolling around, I wish I did this many years ago. You need a helper to do the gopher work. I hope this can help you Cornpatch Mo. Good luck
Maybe some high density foam rubber. I always use corrugated cardboard on the floor---damn creepers anyway! ............Thanks .......................MO

48303_700x700.jpg
Z09530fo5oy.JPG
g-force-p30-2-point--full-safety-harness.jpg
Hi Corn, other than having a pit dug in your garage try mounting an electric hoist on a I-beam in the sealing, lift your self up and down to the floor. I feel your pain I'm 52 one left knee bone on bone, injection jell crap, other one just tore the meniscus Second time , and dealing with arthritis in knees and shoulders. I use thick kneeing pads if I have to be on my knees. good luck Corn, God bless
Z-3CH0fo5oz.JPG
I was thinking something along this line, but have nothing in the ceiling strong enough to attach to . Thanks.............................MO

My pop who is 77 had his knee replaced about 10 yrs ago still works in his shop. He uses a hvy duty foam pad like in the pic above, but he also wrapped in in a decent quality towel thats duct taped to it. Gives him enough cushion for the knee to get down to his creeper. Hes 6 foot and 260ish not a small guy. This works for him, but I understand everyone is different
Actually very similar to me... I am 6'4" and 280 lb... If he can do it, I should give it a try.................Thanks...............................MO

I had a hip replaced a month before I turned 47 (I'm 54 now). Before that, I had to do all kinds of weird rolling around like a turtle to get myself back up off of the floor to work around my bad hip. Kind of like when Starsky and Hutch would run and roll as they were getting shot at - but much slower! It was almost impossible for me to get up without using my hands and arms. It's better now, but I still have to be careful and protect that expensive, bionic hip. I'll probably have to have the other one replaced eventually. When I was still recovering from my surgery, I put a different rearend in my '64. I was laying on my side trying to protect my new, healing hip while I was lining up one of the leaf springs with the front hanger and then, POP! I partially tore my biceps. LOL If it's not one thing, it's another!

With my bad hip, I was able to use my knees a lot, so I can imagine how hard it would be to not be able to use your knees as much, Steve. I don't have any good ideas for how you can get to the floor and back without relying a lot on your knees. As has been suggested, padding should help, though.

I read this thread to my wife. Interesting how many in our group are getting to the age where these physical issues of ours are as prevalent as the mechanical issues of the cars we have!
Thanks Dave.. these experiences re-assure me, that I can do it. Sheesh ! seems like just a few weeks ago, I thought I was a youngster and bullet proof! I have so many things I want to do before rocking chair time... Just being impatient - nice weather , time to get Brutus out , but they tell me I am doing good and pain will eventually lessen..............Steve............MO

Time to buy a shop hoist !!! I have one of these. High enough to walk under (have to stoop a little). It doesn't need to be bolted down and is movable. Relatively inexpensive. Works off 110 volts.

IMG_1008[1].JPG

Hi Cornpatch......boy, do I feel your pain. I'm 70 years old and had both knees replaced. I constantly have to get up/down to work on my car---and getting on my knees is NOT AN OPTION. I usually have a chair nearby that I can use to assist somewhat. I pull myself somewhat up on the chair--get in some twisted figure and normally find my legs are not cooperating. To the outsider, it must look like a "monkey f###ing a football". Please keep us posted as I need a solution as well.
No doubt about " I feel your pain" lol. I am grateful for the responces. Maybe someone will get inspired for a new invention. I am thinking about a 3' wooden, folding , step ladder, attach cross mounted 1"x 4" X about 30" to the bottom of each set of legs. Put rubber strips on the bottom of those boards. That would keep the step ladder from tipping over side ways and help slip proof from moving forward and backward. The ladder could be folded for storage. Could also be used as a saw horse type stand.
BTW , I had a 56 Chrysler 2 dr. hdtp. with a chromed out 354 Hemi. Loved that car, but sold it to build my 64 Dodge......Thanks for your post..................MO

Time to buy a shop hoist !!! I have one of these. High enough to walk under (have to stoop a little). It doesn't need to be bolted down and is movable. Relatively inexpensive. Works off 110 volts.

View attachment 407249
HMMMM something like that might work. Sit on it, lower yourself down , move over to a creeeper. Reverse to get back up again. I could think of several uses for that. Would it lift an complete 4000lb. car? Fold down flat on the floor? Where did you get that?..............Thanks.................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back