• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP on 426 cam specs- Chrysler #3512725 Vintage late 60s, early 70s

Wasn't the '71 Hemi (possibly the '70 also) cam was a hydraulic lifter grind....the last year of Hemi production???

Looking up part number in my 1970 - 1971 Mopar parts book, Group 9-15-0 Engine assembly, 426 Hemi engine listing page 9-6 the OEM part number is # 3462355. The parts manual does not show specs for duration or lift. Hope this helps.
BOB RENTON

???
View attachment 1023548
Interesting... A Mopar screwup??

An additional point to ponder....wasn't the Hemi cam a three (3) bolt design to the sprocket in addition to the dowel pin? The cam shown is just the single bolt & dowel pin drive....wouldn't this aspect make a non Hemi cam?
BOB RENTON

That’s the back of the camshaft in the photo. Note, the center is not threaded.

Perhaps you are correct....but, it difficult to see if the hole was threaded or not, at least from my perspective ....why would Mopar drill a dowel pin hole....for what purpose, if its in the back end of the cam.....rhetorically speaking....
BOB RENTON

Bob - That hole on the back is not for a dowel...it's too large. It's a locating hole to line up the cam for machining. I worked at Trenton Engine Plant in 1976 on the hobber line. I ground the gear on camshafts. lol, fun times!

Bob - That hole on the back is not for a dowel...it's too large. It's a locating hole to line up the cam for machining. I worked at Trenton Engine Plant in 1976 on the hobber line. I ground the gear on camshafts. lol, fun times!

THANK YOU for the explanation.....I understand now....often wondered how the grinding and hobbing machines knew where to start....I appreciate your insight...
BOB RENTON

Bob, have you never seen the back of a camshaft?

Bob, have you never seen the back of a camshaft?
Several times....mostly with GM and Ford or two....but not recently...just not sonething I remember to any extent....but I assume that each supplier, possibly, has their own methodology for registration to begin the manufacturing process.
BOB RENTON

No, Ford's and GM's are made the same way.

Auto Transport Service
Back