• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How accurate is Haggerty?

Dubjitsu

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed the most relevant place. MODS please move if I'm in the wrong spot.

Just wondering how accurate Haggerty is when it comes to a fair value of classic Mopars. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In my opinion, there are too many factors dictating price that I don't think they can account for. Not a bad place to start but there are a lot of variables with Mopars in particular.

Well you decide what the agreed upon value is. All they will do is bill you accordingly. For example I first insured my RR for 25k agreed values before it was finished with the restoration. As soon as I got it painted I called up and raised it to 60k. That made my payment go from 210 a year to 265 a year. I could tell them it a million all they would say is ok here is your new payment. P. S. They now have a policy to let you have the whole car if it gets totaled so you can salvage as much as possible from it. Cost is an extra 65 bucks a year FYI. Pretty cool if you ask me. I've been happy with Hagerty.

Their info is based on the auction market. Maybe some data from Hemings. Im sure they dont take into consideration the private sales market which if used would draticlt skew their data.

Interesting they have no data on 67 Belvedere wagons or more interestingly 1972 Charger SE 400-4 cars- the only option for a 72 SE is 318.

Interesting they have no data on 67 Belvedere wagons or more interestingly 1972 Charger SE 400-4 cars- the only option for a 72 SE is 318.
Like I said. When was the last time you sat a 67 Belvedere wagon or 72 Charger at the major auctions

They have 67 4 doors and the 318 72 Charger.

Disclaimer: Wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed the most relevant place. MODS please move if I'm in the wrong spot.

Just wondering how accurate Haggerty is when it comes to a fair value of classic Mopars. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Are you talking about their valuation tool? I would look at prices of recently sold cars and current asking prices to get an actual market value.

As far as an agreed value for insuring it, as Bigmanjbmopar said, they'll take your money for pretty much whatever you want to pay for.

I find their value calculator reasonable but they definitely value the #1 and 2 cars at a premium even on less desirable models. Usually if someone quotes me “Hagersty values this car at $XYZ” it’s a sign it’s not really worth it. Like the 71 4 door coronet I looked at for a parts car, he quoted Hagerty as being at $15k, I was at parts car value. As far as insurance goes, I priced them but my local provider was 1/4 the cost based on the same agreed upon value and it just had to be photographed and approved by their appraiser.

not very...

My wife and I have USAA for our bank.
While my 70 Roadrunner V-code was valued at more than I needed for the loan taxes and title, her 65 GTO took a little arm twisting, but it isn't easy to judge the added value of a spot on Royal Bobcat 421 tribute car, and it is a real GTO.
I think Haggerty was the first loan co I called and they wanted 10% down and their interest rate was over 8% vs 2.99% for 7 years with 0 down via USAA....

My wife and I have USAA for our bank.
While my 70 Roadrunner V-code was valued at more than I needed for the loan taxes and title, her 65 GTO took a little arm twisting, but it isn't easy to judge the added value of a spot on Royal Bobcat 421 tribute car, and it is a real GTO.
I think Haggerty was the first loan co I called and they wanted 10% down and their interest rate was over 8% vs 2.99% for 7 years with 0 down via USAA....
Hagerty not as big as USAA, either. More risk for them. Plus, not everyone can use USAA.

I have Haggerty insurance, and I way over valued my car because it's worth the additional premium to me. So far, I am pleased with them, and thankfully I haven't ever needed to use the insurance. (Knock on wood)

Hagerty not as big as USAA, either. More risk for them. Plus, not everyone can use USAA.
I have Haggerty insurance
Just to be clear, USAA was our loan company for our classic cars and I am very happy with the value that they attached to them. USAA referred us to American Collectors for our car insurance and we set the value ourselves. Appx $540 per year full coverage for BOTH cars combined and valued at 40 and 44k IIRC.

My buddy has Hagerty. They covered everything needed to put this back right. He got it back just before the end of the year. Here's an article about the vinyl top install.
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2018/04/Topping-It-Off/3751639.html

IMG_0004.JPG

This pic is from a couple years ago.
IMG_0344.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I was asking mostly about the valuation tool. New to the hobby and wanted to start getting an idea of real world values and tracking increasing or decreasing trends. I'd like to start a collection of mopars. Well add to the oneI have now eventually and wasn't sure if that tool would serve well

Auto Transport Service
Back