• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old is too old?

Some great opinions here for sure. At 65 I now have the time, funds and health to do what I love the best, restoration. I look at us in our hobby now as more of historians. The cars we preserve should live long after we are gone. Young folks today do not have the desire, knowledge, funds to do what we do and when we die off new available additions will dwindle. As far as leaving a mess for the kids I have left instructions for them to keep what they want, call the family in and give them what they want and then call an auctioneer company and sell it all, including house , shop and land. Ill be done with my tools then, :thumbsup:

I'm 67, and have had 21 surgeries in the last 25-30 years. I'm pretty busted-up, but cannot stop building cars. If I stop, I'm pretty much done with everything. Unfortunately, this "hobby" became a sickness. I don't know what I'd do, if I stopped with the old mopars. I don't have kids, so I'm trying to get rid of all my crap. [I guess it doesn't really matter] I can't say I enjoy doing this stuff anymore. I'm currently building what I hope is my last project.

Krusty rt rr-side shop.jpg

Last edited:
As far as leaving a mess for the kids
Smart thing to do. It’s a mess dealing with getting rid of stuff like I went through with my folks. My daughters don’t want my car I’ve had for 30 years having taken it apart and put it back together after having tinkered with it doing one thing or another on it until major resto in 2017. It’s a big hunk of metal and chrome to them. I’d say (like to think anyway) part of my soul has morphed into it and DNA maybe from sweat and blood loss working on it, lol. My hope is to sell it if I don’t croak first, to someone who gives me the impression they’ll cherish it, if I know when I’m unable to drive it anymore.

Like you said, it is an historical effort whether one thinks about this or not. Bringing back a piece of history as it looked coming off the assembly line, or better. Talked with guys at shows who are at the age where they are selling their beautiful old rides. SAD to chat with them, hearing their stories that should be put in a book.

Youngest has worked with me on carpentry projects building some unique furniture for her, so she’s learned how to operate the machines/tools I have and wants those. Good feeling about this.

I'm "only" 58........ you older guys are bad *** and an inspiration...... hats off to all of you! :luvplace:

That's it? In person, you don't look a day younger than 71.
Funny as I used to look younger than I was for a time; was carded on occasion into my 30’s. At 68, people say I don’t look a day older than 67.

I'm not as old as some, and not as young as others here. I'll turn 65 in a few months, and still don't own a lift. I suppose someday I will. There is always something to work on with these old Mopars and that keeps me going. I retired as a JL Lineman almost 2 years ago and on my last day I was up a 150ft. tower just to see if I could. Let's just say that's a young man's game.
It seems the older I get the more stupid things I do. Last week I finished a power seat and seat belt install on the old 64 D100. I was so proud of myself, until I took it for ride and wondered why voltage was all over the place. I fried the regulator because I forgot to unhook the battery while welding seat brackets and retractor brackets. It's not all physical. :BangHead:

65, and going to retire this Sept. Finally.
I am tired of wrecked cars and dumb *** owners. Lol.
My 67 has been done for 14 years now, I do a few updates now and then.
I have my mom's 53 ford Sun liner flat 8 auto and ps, it needs a overhaul and a repaint.
Great, top and interior.
I'm going to work part time for a store and start on her car. That one should be the last.

Auto Transport Service
Back