• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question? For others that have lost weight?

When someone says “ “You look like this guy I know”, I never seem to agree on the resemblance.
Maybe because the other guy is usually ugly.

Guys, I've always thought our connection to internal combustion engines/cars comes from the similarities in them with our own bodies:

Heart = Short Block
Lungs = Intake Manifold
Nose = Air Intake/Filter
Kidneys = Oil Filter
Skin = Bodywork
Arms/Legs = Wheels/Tyres
Guess what? = Exhaust

Exercise your body = driving the car, giving it a bit of a rev, cleaning up the plugs
Sitting down doing nothing = idling

you get the drift.

Most enthusiasts really care for their cars, best oil, best fuel, keep up the maintenance etc but when it comes to their bodies it's a different story.

Next time your eating that big greasy meal, or drinking multiple cans of soda every day, or sitting on your *** all day watching tv and eating snacks, think what the equivalent that would be for your car. Eventually you're going to throw a rod or something.

I'm not saying you have to be a health freak, but just take care and try to get the balance right.

I could have claimed 245# at Carlisle, but I was starving....... @moparwacko stiffed me for lunch :rolleyes:
You should be thanking me, I saved you at least 1500 calories!
Get to 220, I'll buy you 2 sandwiches.

I've been 200 - 210 for as many years as I can remember. After retirement I hit 220, and started to feel it. I cut out pasta, bread, and all sweets. Last weigh in was 190. Like Cranky said, beer is a downfall but have cut most of that too. I find I'm just not as hungry as I used to be. I am very unusual (in more was than one) in that I generally only eat once a day. I don't do breakfast, rarely lunch, but fill up on dinner. I've been like that since forever, yeah I know they say that's bad but whatever works. My Dr. just shakes his head.

deal....... you bringing a scale? or do we need a neutral third party?

plus the one you owe me, right? :poke:
Sure why not.
I trust your honesty. You haven't led me astray.
Yet.....

I got work to do also, I just spent almost a week at Norwalk of overindulgence.

Sure why not.
I trust your honesty. You haven't led me astray.
Yet.....

I got work to do also, I just spent almost a week at Norwalk of overindulgence.

I need to get down to 215, I wouldn't want to cut it too close........ I don't want to have to strip down in the fbbo tent :eek:

I was up to about 240 when I was on the show Pinks, that was 07 to 08, my wife is a great cook and back then, I was new and she wanted to coddle me and take care of me, ah, those were the days! Anyway, 2 eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, toast, orange juice, pick up a coke on the way into the shop, etc. I'm allergic to milk, so that was one thing in my favor when I decided to slim down. I was in Afghanistan, and had time to work out, couldn't each much of anything due to my food allergy, and combine that with walking about 10 miles a day around the base and work area, and when I came home nearly 2 years later, I was 199. I got married at 202, so I lost another 3 pounds in the 4 months afterwards.
Fast forward to about 6 years ago. I was 60, just turned, and my doctor said I was pre diabetic, and I was up to 220 as well. Blood pressure was fine, but my sugar was really concerning to my doctor. He kept advising me to give up grains and bread, etc. I thought that was nuts, so I went on a different eating plan, ate cheerios for breakfast, salad or soup and half a sandwich at lunch, then a small dinner at night. No snacks, cut back on pop, etc. I lost maybe 5 pounds after about 8 months of trying. A guy from another training center came in for the week and we went to lunch. He ordered an arby's roast beef with no bun, cheese on the side and a salad. We got to talking about his diet, as I was eating my packed lunch as always while we were sitting in Arby's. He told me about Keto. I found out another guy I knew from work was on it as well, so I got a ton more info from him. I said F*** it, worth a try. I got on it, it was hard at first, but not bad after the first month, and now, my system get's all messed up when I go off of my regimen, so it's easier to just stay on it. AFter 6 months, staying on Keto, having a cheat day once a week, working out daily before I ate breakfast and left for work, I had lost 15 pounds, and my doctor said whatever I was doing keep at it, because my blood sugar was way down. After a year, I was no longer prediabetic. After that first year, I was down to 197, felt great, looked a lot better as well. I stayed on it, until covid hit, then I laid around and did virtually nothing except binge watch TV, fell off the diet a bit, got back up to 205 or so, then got serious and stuck with it for a year, went all the way down to 193. I am now at around 197, maybe less, and I stick to it. I don't do cheat days except for about one a month or maybe every other month. I find I just feel so much better and I get to eat as much bacon as I can! And I can eat some bacon! I try not to be a pita to my friends and family, as I can almost always find something to eat at just about any restaurant, but the milk allergy thing really can screw me up eating out, so I have my set schedule of what I eat and where.
Sorry for the long story, but I truly believe I would be dead now had I not ran into that guy and learned about Keto. I'm 66 now and just getting back to working out and racing again. My goal is to get down to 185, truly a fighting weight for me. Thanks for reading.

And I stopped drinking beer and switched to bourbon. Drink a lot less and have come to enjoy it.

Weighed 185/190 from 18 to about 40 years old but got up to about 230 about a decade ago. Switched from regular Pepsi to diet and dropped down to 195 in 3 months. Changed Nothing else in my diet. Managed to get back up to 205/210 this Summer... but I know why.
20230927_101234.jpg

Interesting topic and timing.
I drink one coffee in the am, then maybe 1 soda per day tops. Been trying to drink more and more water. And I'll admit I have a serious sweet tooth / snack desire. Especially ice cream. And is a constant battle to control the urge and avoid it or eat smaller portions of it believe me.

Im retiring the end of this year at 64 and currently 230 or so. And i would like to get to 200 give or take a few lbs. I realize I will not be nearly as active as today. But I really need to and want to do my best to walk more and more with my wife.
She walks several miles every day. Plus she works out regularly, Which means she looks better and is in better shape today than the day we got married 30 years ago. So she is my motivation and main driving force to get more active post retirement.

Last edited:
Interesting topic and timing.
I drink one coffee in the am, then maybe 1 soda per day tops. Been trying to drink more and more water. And I'll admit I have a serious sweet tooth / snack desire. Especially ice cream. And is a constant battle to control the urge and avoid it or eat smaller portions of it believe me.

Im retiring the end of this year at 64 and currently 230 or so. And i would like to get to 200 give or take a few lbs. I realize I will not be nearly as active as today. But I really need to and want to do my best to walk more and more with my wife.
She walks several miles every day. Plus she works, Which means she looks better and is in better shape today than the day we got married 30 years ago. So she is my motivation and main driving force to get more active post retirement.
You sound like me, starting out at the 230 pound figure.
Go for the walks with your wife.
That will be a big help in the weight reduction.
That is, was, my exercise in dropping 40 pounds off this old mans body.
As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to do my morning walk around the neighborhood.
One of my three.

It takes me 18 minutes to do a walk around the hood.
That's my pace, nothing spectacular, slow or fast.
Just my normal "speed" if you will.
But there are times it takes longer, if i stop and talk with the neighbors, or other walkers, that i meet on the three streets, that i take.
Or petting all the dogs, and cats, that are out, when I'm doing the miles.
Believe me, i know all the animals on my route, and they know me.

It's a mile from my house to the end of my street and back round trip.

My plan is Do that at least once hopefully twice a day..everyday in the beginning. And Move up from there .

My problem is ...that 1st step . I have to keep telling myself Simply get up and go do it. Once I'm out. I'm good

It's a mile from my house to the end of my street and back round trip.

My plan is Do that at least once hopefully twice a day..everyday in the beginning. And Move up from there .

My problem is ...that 1st step . I have to keep telling myself Simply get up and go do it. Once I'm out. I'm good
Getting started in the beginning takes a bit of discipline, but once started, you can do it, and follow through.
For me, in my lifetime, i have always walked, so it's no big deal, just do it more, more often, in my old age, than when i was much younger.

Just got back in, from walk number one.

Weighed 185/190 from 18 to about 40 years old but got up to about 230 about a decade ago. Switched from regular Pepsi to diet and dropped down to 195 in 3 months. Changed Nothing else in my diet. Managed to get back up to 205/210 this Summer... but I know why.
View attachment 1531493

never liked the taste of beer....... it's a good thing, I'd be at least three-fiddy

Sugar!
Sugar!
Sugar!

I was looking at my flab and at turning 60, I saw my triglycerides last November, OVER 400!
I told my doc I can do this!
I SIMPLY STOPPED EATING THINGS WITH LOTS OF SUGAR!!!
I lost a solid 25 lbs and keeping it off.
Didn't do Keto
Didn't give up, bread buns pizza etc. JUST SODA DONUTS CANDY COOKIES...you get it.
Just got back from the doc for fasting blood draw (lipid panel).
Triglycerides are 175, all the other good and bad cholesterols are going solidly in the right direction.
Even the Doc was surprised by the fact that the only thing I gave up was sweets. And, I don't use sugar substitutes, it just makes mu palette crave sweets.

I honestly believe sugar is a slow poison.

Auto Transport Service
Back