• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question? For others that have lost weight?

The dietitian at the Mather VA, is very pleased with me, with my weight loss.
Told me i'm one of her "successful" patients.
Lots of us old guys, old veterans, have difficulties in loosing weight, off the body.
Made me happy, that i made her happy.

Anyone got any weight loss advice you can share with me?
The first pounds off are the easiest.
Fortunately I am 6' 3" tall...
When I was around 17, I started losing weight after being around 230 for a few years in a 38W x 34 length to 190 in a 33W x34L. At that time, it was almost exclusively due to hard, physical work, martial arts with a lot of aerobic excercise due to the style I took, and I didn't really change my diet much, except I didn't eat quite as much from keeping myself busy.
As I got into my 40s, I crept up to the 200-220 range. Around 2005 I started exercising daily, and stayed around 220 but gained muscle. Then I popped a muscle in my stomach and it's been downhill since. I'm around 270 and I also have a number of parts that hurt badly, sometimes preventing me from doing much, even being around other people. That is a viscous cycle.
The best I've done in the last 6 years or so was on a ketogenic diet, but I slipped off of that and haven't made a way back.
After being heavy as a teenager, then getting in great shape, I "just knew" I'd never put excess weight on again, but I have.
Best advice? Find a solution you can stay with. Roller coaster weight gain and loss is unhealthy, and should you injure yourself or have "worn out parts" try not to put weight back on, it gets harder to take it off again.
I'll summarize with if your health allows you to do a ketogenic diet, that was the easiest way for me to lose weight when exercising is difficult or nearly impossible.

The first pounds off are the easiest.
Fortunately I am 6' 3" tall...
When I was around 17, I started losing weight after being around 230 for a few years in a 38W x 34 length to 190 in a 33W x34L. At that time, it was almost exclusively due to hard, physical work, martial arts with a lot of aerobic excercise due to the style I took, and I didn't really change my diet much, except I didn't eat quite as much from keeping myself busy.
As I got into my 40s, I crept up to the 200-220 range. Around 2005 I started exercising daily, and stayed around 220 but gained muscle. Then I popped a muscle in my stomach and it's been downhill since. I'm around 270 and I also have a number of parts that hurt badly, sometimes preventing me from doing much, even being around other people. That is a viscous cycle.
The best I've done in the last 6 years or so was on a ketogenic diet, but I slipped off of that and haven't made a way back.
After being heavy as a teenager, then getting in great shape, I "just knew" I'd never put excess weight on again, but I have.
Best advice? Find a solution you can stay with. Roller coaster weight gain and loss is unhealthy, and should you injure yourself or have "worn out parts" try not to put weight back on, it gets harder to take it off again.
I'll summarize with if your health allows you to do a ketogenic diet, that was the easiest way for me to lose weight when exercising is difficult or nearly impossible.
I've been of the belief that the best way to lose weight is to simply cut calories, working out makes my metabolism ramp up so I just eat more. It seems athletes have it even harder after quitting sports, after being at such a high level for so long its difficult for them to eat "small".

Guys, I've always thought our connection to internal combustion engines/cars comes from the similarities in them with our own bodies:

Heart = Short Block
Lungs = Intake Manifold
Nose = Air Intake/Filter
Kidneys = Oil Filter
Skin = Bodywork
Arms/Legs = Wheels/Tyres
Guess what? = Exhaust

Exercise your body = driving the car, giving it a bit of a rev, cleaning up the plugs
Sitting down doing nothing = idling

you get the drift.

Most enthusiasts really care for their cars, best oil, best fuel, keep up the maintenance etc but when it comes to their bodies it's a different story.

Next time your eating that big greasy meal, or drinking multiple cans of soda every day, or sitting on your *** all day watching tv and eating snacks, think what the equivalent that would be for your car. Eventually you're going to throw a rod or something.

I'm not saying you have to be a health freak, but just take care and try to get the balance right.
Looks like beer is out..... :(
You sound like me, starting out at the 230 pound figure.
Go for the walks with your wife.
That will be a big help in the weight reduction.
That is, was, my exercise in dropping 40 pounds off this old mans body.
As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to do my morning walk around the neighborhood.
One of my three.
Walks with my wife were....well, what can I say? She was a slow walker and I wasn't and that's one of the reasons I quit going shopping with her. She just didn't understand even after telling her that I was dog dead tired from walking so slow. Anyways, I walk plenty in my shop. It's 52 feet long and I'm always losing stuff and looking for it :D

I heard said a time or two before...

"If your intake exceeds your output then your upkeep will be your downfall"

Last edited:
I've been wearing size 40" Levi blue jeans, for i don't know how many of years, when i was at the 230, pound weight.
Now that I'm at 188, this morning, on the scale, my old Levi 38's are a loose fit on this old mans body.
Wonder if i could dig out some of my old work uniforms that i wore 12 + years ago, that were a 36" inch waist size?
And I'm at the last notch on my belt, that i never have used before, in tightening it up, in all the years that i have been using this belt.

Last edited:
At 188, you should easily fit into a 34. I can fit into 34s even at 200 lbs.
Good for you, Jim. Now you can feel confident when going out to pick up chicks!

1 yeah right.png

This past April i got pissed off at myself, looking in the mirror, when toweling dry, after taking a shower.
I was at 230 pounds, for a 5' 11" 70 year, old man.
Decided to go on a diet, and loose weight.
Initially i wanted to see an even 200 pounds, and that was easy enough to do.
And the dietitian, nutritionist, at the Mather VA, informed me that an ideal weight, for my age and height, is in the 185-190, range.
So i said to myself, Ok, go for it, and get to 190.
Well this morning on the scale I'm at 189.5, so 40 pounds have come off this old mans body in 6 months time.
I did it easily enough by eating a whole lot less, eating smarter, eating better, and for exercise walking around the neighborhood three times a day, which each walk is one mile.
Going from 200, to 195, seemed to take forever, and then going down to 190, seemed to take doubly forever.

i seemed to get to a number, got hung up at that number for awhile, then lost a pound or two, then put a pound or two, back on, all over again.
Then you gotta loose those pounds all over again, to keep on going lower.

Was it like that, too, for anyone that went thru weight loss?
And keeping it off, is that hard to do?
Knowing myself, I'm not going to put it back on.
Pretty sure i have the discipline to keep it off.

When i got out of the Air Force back in 1980, at age 27, i was a 180 pounder.
But that was 43 years ago, so being 10 pounds difference in now what i weigh in at 190, i guess I'm doing good.

Anyone got any weight loss advice you can share with me?
Thank's a lot for reading.
Jim V.
hemi71x
Keep up the good work!

I got pissed off with myself this past July and decided to get serious about weight loss.
240 lbs July 10, 2023
205 lbs this morning, October 7, 2023
I'm aiming at 200 lbs or lower by my birthday next month. I'll continue to lower my weight as much as possible (whatever makes sense for my size).

I weighed 155 lbs in 1980 at age 24. I'm 6' tall. Some might say "medium boned".

Q: How did I lose weight since this past July?

A: 1,600 calories per day, six days out of the week. I eat approximately 2,000 calories one day out of the week...when I go to a restaurant for a small meal. Breakfast is my largest meal, lunch is smaller, and supper is my smallest meal.
Also:
No beer
No wine
No hard liquor
No soft drinks (diet Pepsi was my vice)
Rarely ever eat candy/sweets since July.

I'll probably have a margarita (or two) on my birthday if I get below 200 lbs by November 15th.

The next several months should go well with my weight loss since the weather is cooler and no thunderstorms...more outdoors activities for longer periods of time!

Last edited:
I gained 8 lbs in the past 7 days! So easy to put it on vs getting it off. Going to be a no drinking week for me....I hope. Need to quit anyways or regulate it better.

I concur with Delta V. The only non-surgical answer is to cut calories. I am on 1750 calories per day and weigh 180'. I am 5'10" tall and am 53 years old. I also go to the gym 4 days a week.

The secret to being happier with your physical health is to exercise, cut down on alcohol and eat properly. You don't have to be extreme with anything, just moderate yourself. Even 20 mins of walking a day is a huge help. Do some mild stretches first thing in the morning, you will feel a million bucks after a month.

I concur with Delta V. The only non-surgical answer is to cut calories. I am on 1750 calories per day and weigh 180'. I am 5'10" tall and am 53 years old. I also go to the gym 4 days a week.

The secret to being happier with your physical health is to exercise, cut down on alcohol and eat properly. You don't have to be extreme with anything, just moderate yourself. Even 20 mins of walking a day is a huge help. Do some mild stretches first thing in the morning, you will feel a million bucks after a month.
In another 20 years, you can reduce your calorie intake even more and still maintain your steady weight. Ask me how I know lol

In another 20 years, you can reduce your calorie intake even more and still maintain your steady weight. Ask me how I know lol
An under active thyroid gland isn't your friend either.

My 2 cents as a younger than most here when it comes to diet...

Make sure you have one really satisfying meal a day or you will not be able to resist a lot of other crap. As long as that meal is not processed fast food or other junk, you can eat whatever. My wife cooks a lot of midwest stuff for dinner, many times "green veggies" are not part of the deal, but we mix those in often enough because we like (certain ones) them too. Eat this meal at least 3 hours before bed though, or sooner.

Fatty meat is not the enemy. In fact, as a Wisconsinite, look at northern Europe. Germans drink beer, eat sausage all the time, and the country is not known as being obese. In the US, it is ALWAYS the processed carbs. Soda(duh) but so much stuff is corn syrup instead of sugar, and even our plain white bread is all processed "not normal" flour. Look for bakery bread and buy it more often. Think of it this way: you make a loaf of bread at home. It lasts what, like 3 days before blue spots show up on it? LOOK AT THE DATE ON THE BREAD AT THE STORE. Yeah no, bread is not supposed to have a 4 week expiration date. In northern europe, they sell bread one day, and give it away the second day. That should tell you something.

Here is my weekday diet, but keep in mind I am middle aged and work for a living. I am also a giant, so my calorie intake is not normal, but you can adapt all this stuff to portions that make sense.

Dinners in the evening:
"hot dish"(usually hamburger or some other meat with a bunch of potato, rice, or other carb, and random whatever to fill out the dish/recipe) with sides of applesauce and veggies. Generally NO BREAD is involved. No processed junk in these recipes.
More specific meals with a major part being a meat protein. That is a basic rule in WI, the meal at dinner is a big chunk of protein, with some scoops of "sides" being generally veggies but mashed potato or a salad is also fine.
Pizza night is fine. We have some local made frozen types that pass the "processed" test, we avoid national chain stuff. make it yourself is super easy, the crust may be less good for you if you don't make that but once in a while that is ok as the toppings will make up for it.
Hot Dogs: NO. Bratwurst? YES. One is processed junk, the other is ground meat and seasoning. There is a massive difference. Buy local made.
Fat cheeseburger? Sure. Real ground beef though, melt real cheese instead of a slice of velveeta or "american", use a bakery bun. I prefer blue cheese and lots of black pepper.
Big Mac is NOT a cheeseburger. None of that **** is.

Snacks for the day, and this is super important to resist eating JUNK:
-Snack sticks(sausage!)
-String cheese or some cubed cheese of your fancy(I like aged WI cheddar)
-Triscuit crackers. They make various flavors, they have a nice crunch, they taste good, they have a lot of fiber and are not pure processed "wheat flour" like the white bread. Eat some, not pig the whole box down!
-Snack mixes, we have a Fleet Farm here that sells bulk bags. I enjoy the most the mixes with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts or mixed nuts, dried cranberries and apples, dates, and a couple other similar things. Note none have candy in them, and I avoid the peanut heavy type as they are not as healthy usually. Walnut, dried cranberry, dried apple, dried cherry, dates, sunflower seeds is freegin tasty. This stuff stays with you too.

Note: no chips, no cookies, no real sweets. Sliced sausage is good in place of snack sticks.

I can't emphasize that enough though: SAUSAGE is a very healthy snack, don't let the doctors tell you all meat will kill you, that is crazy. Use butter to add flavor. NOT margerine.
A good rule of thumb: has this food been around for centuries? Yeah it is fine then.
One last note in this giant post: CORN is not a veggie. It is empty carbs,(not totally but you should treat it that way) but it can be used as a recipe ingredient for flavor. Cob of corn in the summer is fine once in a while also.

I eat tons of ground beef, sausage, chicken, (you get the idea) with sides of NOT processed crap, the snacks above, and 2 or maybe 3 20 oz Dr Pepper's a day and my weight is stable. (keep in mind I am a giant, 3 20 oz Dr's is not advised if your ideal weight is like 180 lbs, stick to one or occasionally 2) The pop is a treat, really, but I also am guilty of an occasional Mallo Cup, or pie, piece of cake. It is important to always recognize that though- that you are eating something like that. I know people that will get hungry and instead of grabbing a sausage stick, they eat 10 of those mini candies or 3 cookies or something. Those people put themselves in a sugar coma, and it is WITHOUT A DOUBT, an ADDICTION. Those guys get urges to eat that crap as snacks, and they DO NOT stay with you, so every hour and a half they are looking for more.

look at northern Europe. Germans drink beer, eat sausage all the time, and the country is not known as being obese.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble with that idea, but I am currently in Germany and most people here ARE obese. Drinking beer and eating fatty meat with no exercise will make you fat. That is a fact.
One of the problems is that most people have ono idea how many calories are in a meal. For instance, a meal of biscuits and white sausage gravy is about 2500 calories. That's more than an average man needs for a whole day.

I got off the beer about 4 years ago, drink soda water(like Bubly) I find a lot of the store brand soda water is better. At the end of day, one ounce of Tequila in a soda goes good. I try to limit the tequila to 4 ounces, gotta work on that one. Sugar, beer, fast food out.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble with that idea, but I am currently in Germany and most people here ARE obese. Drinking beer and eating fatty meat with no exercise will make you fat. That is a fact.
One of the problems is that most people have ono idea how many calories are in a meal. For instance, a meal of biscuits and white sausage gravy is about 2500 calories. That's more than an average man needs for a whole day.
I was in Germany from late 71 until early 73 and saw lots of fat Germans.....and look how fat Sgt. Schultz was :D

If you are going to sit on your *** all day you will get fat eating rice cakes.
Everything I wrote is with the assumption your cushy chair is for sitting down before bed to read the evening paper.
And the biscuits and gravy is 2500 calories only if you eat 2500 calories of biscuits and gravy. You have to portion things to your body size.
Portion matters a lot more than food type in this regard. I did not write: "eat 3000 calories of sausage sticks" I did write that the sausage is a lot healthier than a bunch of processed carbs.

If you find "having a TV" is a vital component in your life, you will struggle with weight. If you eat until you will puke every time you lift a fork you will have a weight issue.
My post is about the make up of the food and body chemistry. For instance, dense fatty meat will stay with you and stave off cravings a LOT longer than a cookie. This in itself helps reduce cravings to eat more, and your body chemistry reacts much differently.

Portions is a separate matter.
People have to have some willpower not to stuff their face or it won't matter what you eat. Next time you sit down to a big meal do this: Eat about half. Sit and visit for 5 minutes, maybe ten. Look back at the other half. How hungry are you now?
Society has been trained to hurry through a meal and eat all of it and more is better no matter what. Places that serve food are in a hard spot, if they serve a regular portion the people that shovel it down will think they are hungry as soon as it is gone without having that 10 minute grace period before condemning the portion size. So they over portion, and people plow through the entire thing so they are "full".

if some one finds they are at a point in their life where they are burning less than 1500 calories a day, they are either a slim frame, are very old, or are severely inactive. Those people need to consider how much of anything they eat, and their preferences, if they can't or are unwilling to change their lifestyle.

If you are going to sit on your *** all day you will get fat eating rice cakes.
Everything I wrote is with the assumption your cushy chair is for sitting down before bed to read the evening paper.
And the biscuits and gravy is 2500 calories only if you eat 2500 calories of biscuits and gravy. You have to portion things to your body size.
Portion matters a lot more than food type in this regard. I did not write: "eat 3000 calories of sausage sticks" I did write that the sausage is a lot healthier than a bunch of processed carbs.

If you find "having a TV" is a vital component in your life, you will struggle with weight. If you eat until you will puke every time you lift a fork you will have a weight issue.
My post is about the make up of the food and body chemistry. For instance, dense fatty meat will stay with you and stave off cravings a LOT longer than a cookie. This in itself helps reduce cravings to eat more, and your body chemistry reacts much differently.

Portions is a separate matter.
People have to have some willpower not to stuff their face or it won't matter what you eat. Next time you sit down to a big meal do this: Eat about half. Sit and visit for 5 minutes, maybe ten. Look back at the other half. How hungry are you now?
Society has been trained to hurry through a meal and eat all of it and more is better no matter what. Places that serve food are in a hard spot, if they serve a regular portion the people that shovel it down will think they are hungry as soon as it is gone without having that 10 minute grace period before condemning the portion size. So they over portion, and people plow through the entire thing so they are "full".

if some one finds they are at a point in their life where they are burning less than 1500 calories a day, they are either a slim frame, are very old, or are severely inactive. Those people need to consider how much of anything they eat, and their preferences, if they can't or are unwilling to change their lifestyle.
The older I get, the less I eat....especially when going to a restaurant. Started out eating half and taking home the other but now I'm eating 1/3.

One of the recommendations the doctors make here is use smaller plates or bowls. Sounds simple but very effective in tricking your mind.

Portion sizes have grown so much over the years it's not funny.

I was always told it took 20 minutes for your brain to receive the "full" signal from your stomach. Couple that with massive servings of food and that's why it's so easy to over eat.

The level of obesity is different now too.
Watch the old movies. The "fat" guy or woman is not even that fat by modern standards.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back