• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to build a high revving 440?

What needs to change to make a big engine spin to much higher rpms, like 6500 or so. Not looking for a build recipe, although that would be nice. What needs to change in theory? Big blocks are known for low end torque. What does it take to make it spin much higher?
y do u want yo go or 6500 rpms? most good Mopar cams mak peak powrr from 5000-6500 rpms if u want to go over that make sure u have enough oil pressure& volume there is a old school rule that still holds true for every 10# of oil pressure for every 1000 RPM's i know guys thst think all v8's r the same & limit oil pressure to 60-65 psi but push their 440's to 7800-8000 rpms & 1-2 times a drag seasion thy r buying a new block & starting ovr . i have a freind that ha been building bb mopars for better than 40 yrs he has te fastest push button car in th nation & runs 120+ psi . now he has never spun a bearing in him 40 yrs of racing . i built a 400 it turned 115 in te 1/4 & i was pegging a oil fed mechanical gauge @ 95#! i had my 400 up o 7k i drove i & raced it for 10+ yrs with out 1 rbuld . do what u want but i swear on high volume b /high pressure 440 oil pump

y do u want yo go or 6500 rpms? most good Mopar cams mak peak powrr from 5000-6500 rpms if u want to go over that make sure u have enough oil pressure& volume there is a old school rule that still holds true for every 10# of oil pressure for every 1000 RPM's i know guys thst think all v8's r the same & limit oil pressure to 60-65 psi but push their 440's to 7800-8000 rpms & 1-2 times a drag seasion thy r buying a new block & starting ovr . i have a freind that ha been building bb mopars for better than 40 yrs he has te fastest push button car in th nation & runs 120+ psi . now he has never spun a bearing in him 40 yrs of racing . i built a 400 it turned 115 in te 1/4 & i was pegging a oil fed mechanical gauge @ 95#! i had my 400 up o 7k i drove i & raced it for 10+ yrs with out 1 rbuld . do what u want but i swear on high volume b /high pressure 440 oil pump
Did either of you put a HEMI oil pick up on or mod the passages ?

All my engines have 1/2" oil pickups, HV oil pumps, windage trays, enlarged oil passages.
The 499" stroker with solid roller cam has an oil restrictor (I think it might be 1/8") to the one side of lifters that are not feeding the mains (forgot which side that is?) Also a 7 quart Milodon oil pan with custom oil pickup because of the 1/2" stud girdle.
The other stroker engines have the stock type 6 quart hemi oil pans. They fit well in the k-frame and don't hang below the k-frame like the 7 quart pan does.
Note that a stud girdle lowers the oil pan a bit more away from the crank too.

I DIDNT i used the oem pan & pick up i was useing mine as a daily driver + no one out in my area had a deep sump pan if i wanted a deep sump pan i would had to make it myself or had it made . the only problem i had was he oil pressure started to drop part was through 1 st gar but then the oil hit the pick up& heald 95+# all the way up tp 5800 in 2nd gear if i could had found a 5 qt truck pan it may ad been better

I couldn't find it in search, but there's a thread about 700hp 440s. Did I build one? Maybe but the heads are probably overkill for the cube.
I've seen one built with stock port Victor's and a victor intake/ 4150 carb
I had a stock stroke 440 years back that made power (700+Hp) up to 7500 rpm. Full roller motor, 440-1 ported heads, Indy intake, BIG Lunati Cam, valve springs with 660psi seat pressure. That baby spun up like a small block on crack...

I had a stock stroke 440 years back that made power (700+Hp) up to 7500 rpm. Full roller motor, 440-1 ported heads, Indy intake, BIG Lunati Cam, valve springs with 660psi seat pressure. That baby spun up like a small block on crack...
Exactly. I just made 2 passes at the end of the year, after 7 yrs sitting. Same big headed combo.
Can't wait to dial it in

The 440 is a great foundation for a high revving engine because it comes with so many 'built in' features:
- block is skirted for extra strength
- 5 head bolts per cyl
- small main brg size
- shaft rocker system, more stable with higher spring pressures needed for higher rpms.
- long rods/short stroke favours high rpm
also when u push it to well over 700 h.p. and race it , most likly will split the block ...

My mistake, power peaked at 7250 rpm . dyno pull with 1050 Dominator
dynoA1437.jpg

sounds to m .like u have di=on it . bu what knd of oil pressure dose it have? i hope its atleast 75-80 lbs?

sounds to m .like u have di=on it . bu what knd of oil pressure dose it have? i hope its atleast 75-80 lbs?
That's exactly about what you want. Watch some performance dynos,, they always end up around there.

My old motor? It had around 40 at idle and regulated to 80. Melling High volume pump..
one thing to watch for when you. Get to running really big cams and stiff springs is push rod flex…

Auto Transport Service
Back