• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Tell if the '69 Roadrunner I'm Looking to Buy is Authentic

Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Hiya Folks,

I've wanted a '69 Roadrunner for some time, and there's one I'm considering for purchase that I want to determine whether it's an authentic Roadrunner.

The fender tag has been screwed in with flathead screws. This stuck out since all the tags that I've come across have been screwed in with small Phillips head screws, which makes sense for factory assembly. Would there be another reason to have different screws other than to swap out the tag?

The dash tag matches the fender tag, and I'm not sure how to tell if the dash was just swapped out as well.

The car has been restored and painted.

The engine is a non-numbers matching 440, and that's what I'm looking for since I could pay less for getting a real Roadrunner witha swapped in 440 engine. The hood has also been replaced with a four pin fiberglass hood.

It seems that body stamping numbers will probably have been obscured by the new paint job.

What else is there to look for to figure out if the car is a real Roadrunner?

Thanks and Best,

Banjo

Another thing I noticed, the car body has door posts.

Were any '69 satellite bodies built as post coupes, or was this only a body option for a roadrunner?

Thanks

body stampings are pretty deep, paint shouldn't hide them........one on upper radiator support, the other is on the driver side trunk lip under the weather strip

Numbers are going to be the only thing that can set it apart from a satellite now that it has been restored. Like eldubb440 said, upper driver radiator support and driver trunk gutter under the weather strip.

As mentioned check vins on radiator support and trunk gutter, but comes down to is do you really like it? Does it have to be a real road runner? is the price right?

Thanks, all, for getting back so quick. FBBO must be the place.

I asked the seller for pictures of the number stamping spots, since it's far - looking to get all the homework done before making the trip. He's sent some great photos of body work he performed.

The price seems right for a Roadrunner, would be high for a Satellite. I kinda like the spirit of the Roadrunner, and the history

many road runners were post cars..mine is.good luck and show the birdie off when you get it!

PTDC0224.JPG

Welcome from NW CT and good luck with your quest...

I recommend getting the car inspected by a professional, or someone knowledgeable in these cars, before you plunk down any coin.(Oh, the post car VIN is RM21, and a 69 RR only came with a 383 or Hemi, except the A12 6-barrel car. )And, only a schmuck would use flathead screws.

Last edited:
And, only a schmuck would use flathead screws.

If they used flat head screws on the fender tag and also swapped the vin tag, I highly doubt they took the time to get the correct rosette rivets. Check those and it will be easy to tell if the vin was swapped as well, unless they swapped the whole dash.

Photo example of Roadrunner Vin Tag with rosette rivets.

VIN number_zpsxuliwkqn.jpg

Welcome. How about some pictures and an asking price?

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome, and the wisdom.

I like the post car, and the fender tag for this one shows RM21. The seller got back with some body stamp numbers, which don't seem to match the VIN.

Found an earlier thread which indicated a '69 Roadrunner should have body stampings that have numbers matching the VIN - http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/body-stamping-location-on-a-1969-roadrunner.20520/

I asked the seller for the numbers on the upper radiator core support, and the trunk lip on the driver's side. He got back to me with some numbers, which did not match each other nor the VIN/fender tag. Don't know what to make of that. The photo of the dash VIN was blurry enough to not clearly show rosette rivets, without proving them to be round.

The car does look pretty sweet, and would seem to be a good deal with us having left it at $25,000 cash provided I'm happy with things. Once I sort out the details of the car, I plan to decide whether to make the long trip. A friend of a friend, who's restored a couple of classic Mopar's, thought it was a good price without being unrealistic. Attached is a photo of the '69 BB in question.

I appreciate the advice, and I feel better informed about what I could be walking into.

Thank you kindly,

Banjo

IMG_1129.JPG

Hiya Folks,

I've wanted a '69 Roadrunner for some time, and there's one I'm considering for purchase that I want to determine whether it's an authentic Roadrunner.

The fender tag has been screwed in with flathead screws. This stuck out since all the tags that I've come across have been screwed in with small Phillips head screws, which makes sense for factory assembly. Would there be another reason to have different screws other than to swap out the tag?

The dash tag matches the fender tag, and I'm not sure how to tell if the dash was just swapped out as well.

The engine is a non-numbers matching 440, and that's what I'm looking for since I could pay less for getting a real Roadrunner witha swapped in 440 engine. The hood has also been replaced with a four pin fiberglass hood.

It seems that body stamping numbers will probably have been obscured by the new paint job.

Thanks and Best,

Banjo
The body numbers should match the VIN and fender tag if genuine. You might also check the transmission numbers just for yuks. If it's a post car, it wouldn't be a Satellite or GTX. They only came in hardtops. It could be a converted Belvedere though.

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome, and the wisdom.

I like the post car, and the fender tag for this one shows RM21. The seller got back with some body stamp numbers, which don't seem to match the VIN.

I asked the seller for the numbers on the upper radiator core support, and the trunk lip on the driver's side. He got back to me with some numbers, which did not match each other nor the VIN/fender tag. Don't know what to make of that. The photo of the dash VIN was blurry enough to not clearly show rosette rivets,

I appreciate the advice, and I feel better informed about what I could be walking into.

Thank you kindly,

Banjo

View attachment 521645
I got sirens and alarms going off right now.

Should there be other numbers stamped into the sheet metal, and should they match the VIN?

Suppose he's being open about the numbers, because they don't match anything on the VIN or fender tag. Given the attached photos, does it look like they're of the right spots?

Upper radiator core support

Driver's side trunk lip

IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1130.JPG

if those numbers do not match the VIN
run forrest run!

Well......looks like your still hunting....that one smells fishy...

Hiya Folks,

Thanks and Best,

Banjo

Auto Transport Service
Back