• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think there should be an Exhaust subforum

drobertson

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
I see that we have an interior subforum, exterior subforum, engine and driveline subforum, but I think we should have an exhaust subforum as well, because there are countless different exhaust components like mufflers, resonators, headers, x pipes, h pipes, etc. Who agrees?

I bet alot of topics will be about a bunch of hot air! Just sayin

I see that we have an interior subforum, exterior subforum, engine and driveline subforum, but I think we should have an exhaust subforum as well, because there are countless different exhaust components like mufflers, resonators, headers, x pipes, h pipes, etc. Who agrees?

You better get to work -- only 9 posts in 3 weeks... Not good... :)

I know it's a question that everyone would like the correct answer to, but thousands of opinions does not make a correct one. I will start out.
Headers are a waste of money on a street driven car. expensive, noisy tinny sound , heat in engine bay, leaks, don't last long..bla-bla-bla
I use stock high performance cast iron manifolds. 2 1/2" exhaust pipe, 3" does not provide any benefit. H pipe--X pipe.. I use the X as it looks higher tech.
Mufflers--no performance gains to speak of. I use Flowmasters as they are long time best known name. Gotta have 3" tailpipe___Naahh, not better, just louder. The factory, on all levels of performance , use smaller tailpipe diameter than the exhaust pipes. Got to be some reason, so I use 2 1/4" tailpipe.
If there is any responces, I bet they are quite different than what I think ! LOL............................MO

M
I know it's a question that everyone would like the correct answer to, but thousands of opinions does not make a correct one. I will start out.
Headers are a waste of money on a street driven car. expensive, noisy tinny sound , heat in engine bay, leaks, don't last long..bla-bla-bla
I use stock high performance cast iron manifolds. 2 1/2" exhaust pipe, 3" does not provide any benefit. H pipe--X pipe.. I use the X as it looks higher tech.
Mufflers--no performance gains to speak of. I use Flowmasters as they are long time best known name. Gotta have 3" tailpipe___Naahh, not better, just louder. The factory, on all levels of performance , use smaller tailpipe diameter than the exhaust pipes. Got to be some reason, so I use 2 1/4" tailpipe.
If there is any responces, I bet they are quite different than what I think ! LOL............................MO
My only response is if building a performance engine the #1 thing that has to be done is get more combustion meaning more fuel to the motor. More fuel to the motor means improved intakes, heads, carburetion, etc so where's all that improved flow go? More intake out of the same exhaust just doesn't make sense to me? Drag cars run open headers for a reason. It's kinda like saying "I'm gonna eat like a horse but make the same amount of visits to the John"?

M

My only response is if building a performance engine the #1 thing that has to be done is get more combustion meaning more fuel to the motor. More fuel to the motor means improved intakes, heads, carburetion, etc so where's all that improved flow go? More intake out of the same exhaust just doesn't make sense to me? Drag cars run open headers for a reason. It's kinda like saying "I'm gonna eat like a horse but make the same amount of visits to the John"?
LOL Just for the sake of debate..just where does the point start when the exhaust I mention , is no longer suffiecient. How do we know that "my" exhaust can't handle more air flow? Lets not forget the advantages to scavenging the exhaust ? I do not argue the point that headers, don't help, I just don't follow conventional thinking very well....8-).... Joey said there wasn't much responce to this new section, so I am doing my part to get the post count up..............................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back