• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you don’t have a machine, you gotta be the machine…

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Busting some tires off the trailer wheels tonight and I couldn’t help but think of how nice it would be to be using a tire machine.
Never had one. Maybe will one day. Had to be innovative to bust those beads.

IMG_3384.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

As I pondered that, I thought:
Since I don’t have a machine, I gotta be…

image.jpg

:lol:

If you've got a heavy truck, just place a 4x4 on the sidewalk and drive up on it.

I bought a well used Coats 40 40 tire machine off Craigslist for $250 bucks,ans a Coats wheel balancer for $400. I use them quite often.

I bought a well used Coats 40 40 tire machine off Craigslist for $250 bucks,ans a Coats wheel balancer for $400. I use them quite often.
Maybe one day. For that little bit, just maybe.

Too bad you're not closer, or I'd make you a good deal on a 70's (or even older but 100% working) Atlas 10-10 knock-off.

I got a bit more in my stuff than chargervert, but it's rim clamp and it's pretty much paid for it's self.

Too bad you're not closer, or I'd make you a good deal on a 70's (or even older but 100% working) Atlas 10-10 knock-off.

I got a bit more in my stuff than chargervert, but it's rim clamp and it's pretty much paid for it's self.

I have a Coats rim clamp one too,with the bead breaker on the side. I paid $300 for that one on Craigslist too.

Busting some tires off the trailer wheels tonight and I couldn’t help but think of how nice it would be to be using a tire machine.
Never had one. Maybe will one day. Had to be innovative to bust those beads.

View attachment 1521462

View attachment 1521464

As I pondered that, I thought:
Since I don’t have a machine, I gotta be…

View attachment 1521435

:lol:
When i was younger we would use a bumper jack on a car, the bumper jack foot slides perfect inbetween the rim/tire

If you've got a heavy truck, just place a 4x4 on the sidewalk and drive up on it.
I don't like doing that with steel belted radials....but used a bare rim on a vehicle up on a jack then let it down where the edge of the rim contacted the bead and that usually worked. Finally got a manual tire machine and things became much easier but dumb *** me sold it when the X left thinking living here wasn't going to be happening for long. I'm still here minus a tire machine and lots of other stuff.

I don't like doing that with steel belted radials....but used a bare rim on a vehicle up on a jack then let it down where the edge of the rim contacted the bead and that usually worked. Finally got a manual tire machine and things became much easier but dumb *** me sold it when the X left thinking living here wasn't going to be happening for long. I'm still here minus a tire machine and lots of other stuff.
I'm figuring if it's a trailer tire then it's coming off to be replaced with a new tire.
So the removal method doesn't really matter.

most times you can go to Walmart, or Tractor Supply, or RV dealers...and buy trailer tires already mounted on rims, for about the same price as a bare tire.

most times you can go to Walmart, or Tractor Supply, or RV dealers...and buy trailer tires already mounted on rims, for about the same price as a bare tire.
You can.

BUT

The rims are really thin and light and often have pretty bad runout before you even put them on.

Today's disposable society. However....my cargo doesn't really give a rat's *** if the ride is a little rough or wiggly, long as I get there and back. My car hauler? Yeah, it has nice alloys on it with 10 ply tires, but my 6x12 cargo box? Nah.

Auto Transport Service
Back