• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you hear gunfire break out....

If someone was shooting up a business and you had a gun?

• Would you do you best to shoot the gunman?

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Run for help and notify authorities?

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Stay in a safe hiding spot.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
this is better

Bait Coming Near You.jpg

Reality is....most would run. Human instinct.
I don't care much if I die, though....so it would be a good way to go out. I practice a bunch, so I also believe I'd have a good chance of stopping someone who is just an idiot. HOWEVER...It's not like the movies, and there's a good chance you'll die, especially if the guy is really armed, wearing any armor, or has good cover.
Self preservation is a good thing...
Most aren't trained properly to deal with that stuff too...
Wait for the proper moment, than act...
Be smart not a Rambo...

If I was packing, I guess it would depend on who is around me. It would be difficult to take a human life- bad or good. But the thought of collateral damage to innocent bystanders is something I could not live with.

Depends on the circumstances.
If I can get a clear shot with minimal risk of collateral damage, then yes.
If the gunman has body armor then that makes matters much more difficult.

If you are placed In a life or death situations . Never left someone else make that decision.

In a situation with an active shooter the first thing that should be done is to notify the police. Then get everyone out of the danger area and lastly if you find yourself in eminent danger fight back. Thats how I've been taught and it makes the most sense to me.

I carry and I sit where I can see who comes through the door. The only negative is I can't drink by law when carring. Its a mindset you acquire when you see what goes on these days, plus pistol training with an advanced course, practice often so handling a gun and shooting is second nature.

Too many variables to say exactly which course of action I would take.
If others are in harms way, and I am armed, with cover and clear shot I would take the shot.
More likely (for me) unarmed, try to create distraction so others can evade and take cover.
Likely only seconds to assess situation, if shooter is lone, part of group/ambush, or booby traped.
Also, are you alone or have assistance or family to protect would factor.
Your family should also have a duress word and rally point in case of emergency.

My experience has been no one has a frigging clue of what they would really do, only what they want to think they would do. For starters, most people do not recognize gunfire right away. They hear some bangs and first think car backfires, fireworks, etc., and not gunfire. This is true for even experienced shooters because they use noise suppression all the time. The trigger (no pun) for action is usually hearing/seeing other people panicking... the old Monkey See-Monkey Do behavior.

Folks who are more accustomed to hearing live fire will recognize it sooner, but it's rare for anyone to pull a weapon and go charging off to a crime scene. In all my time, I can only remember three cases of someone engaging a gunman as a civilian third party, which given the number of CCW carriers in this country, and the high number of people who claim they would take charge and get things done, the number of people who actually do seems to show those people are more Walter Mitty than John Wayne.

Too many variables to say exactly which course of action I would take.
If others are in harms way, and I am armed, with cover and clear shot I would take the shot.
More likely (for me) unarmed, try to create distraction so others can evade and take cover.
Likely only seconds to assess situation, if shooter is lone, part of group/ambush, or booby traped.
Also, are you alone or have assistance or family to protect would factor.
Your family should also have a duress word and rally point in case of emergency.
Here's another variable... it might be illegal to take action.

Most states allow the use of lethal force for self protection, but only when you are directly threatened and have no choice. If you are safe, and see someone robbing a store, you are not threatened. If you go and place yourself in jeopardy, that might not be seen as a case of self defense.

We have a Castle law down here in Florida, but we just had two recent cases that showed the limits of that law. Both cases involved people who were involved in altercations who left the scene of the fight, went to a different location, obtained a firearm, returned to the site of the dispute and used the weapon. In both cases the courts ruled self defense was not a factor as both people had moved to a safe area and opted to return to the dangerous situation. That same ruling could apply to someone who is safely out of danger and places themselves into danger.

What if one is acting in defense of other innocent Lives?
Most states allow the use of lethal force for self protection, but only when you are directly threatened and have no choice. If you are safe, and see someone robbing a store, you are not threatened. If you go and place yourself in jeopardy, that might not be seen as a case of self defense.

We have a Castle law down here in Florida, but we just had two recent cases that showed the limits of that law. Both cases involved people who were involved in altercations who left the scene of the fight, went to a different location, obtained a firearm, returned to the site of the dispute and used the weapon. In both cases the courts ruled self defense was not a factor as both people had moved to a safe area and opted to return to the dangerous situation. That same ruling could apply to someone who is safely out of danger and places themselves into danger.

Error.
What if one is acting in defense of other innocent Lives?

If others are being shot and your worried about what the law says, your worried about the wrong judge.

In a situation with an active shooter the first thing that should be done is to notify the police. Then get everyone out of the danger area and lastly if you find yourself in eminent danger fight back. Thats how I've been taught and it makes the most sense to me.

Yeah they sent us pamphlets around at work earlier this saying the same thing. Never know for sure until your actually in some situation what you would do. I know I would do everything in my power to try to protect my loved one's. If at work I would do everything I could to help people try to stay out of harms way, but I'd be grabbing staplers, mugs, keyboards, laptops, chairs, anything in reach if in immediate danger. I'd go down fighting.

Auto Transport Service
Back