• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ignition button to power coil for start up..

pedal2themetal

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi
this is with my 75 Fury base model custom.

I'm Having a problem with my ignition switch not wanting to put a full 12V to the coil at start up all the time once its warmed up... IE: If I turn the key all the way to its stop when its been run it cranks and cranks and cranks and finally starts, if I barely turn it to start it fires right up). I've had it in a shop to fix a year or two back and told them what the problem was as I knew it wasn't getting the full 12V for start up when hot, and asked them to change the switch, they didn't , they thought it was the plug at the bottom of the column and zip tied it together,, Still doing it, for a while now (maybe 2 years) and I'm tired of messing with it So I'm looking to put in a switch/button to power the coil with a full 12v for start up. It well only be engaged long enough to start it... I've also thought of just adding a wire from the starter to the coil so that when the starter is engaged it well provide 12V then and not mess with a button or switch...

What and or which do you folks have a opinion on.. and if a button can I just use a regular 12v button or does it need to be high voltage. and if a wire from the starter is a better way can I just use 18 gauge or does it need to be bigger??

I've changed out the switch a couple of times a while back and don't want to mess with that again.. or is there a part at the bottom of the column that may be bent or out of place?

Thanks
tim

I think your switch is the problem. Standard motor products US88. Rock auto has them for cheap

Consult your service manual for the wiring path and check the connections/contacts in the start circuit.
If you want to install a starter button any 12v automotive part will be fine (hell I've used a doorbell button in a pinch:eek:) all you're doing is energizing the starter solenoid which draws relatively low current.

hi,.
4mulas ..
I know its the switch its just that I've changed it like twice before and its a PITA to do .. just wanted to bypass it with a button..

beanhead...
I'm not energizing the solenoid, it turns over fine just not starting. Its just that after the first start of the day (wihch it starts right up with in one spin of the motor). After its been ran it has to crank and crank and crank then it well fire. But If I barely turn the key to the start function It well start right up. I'm wanting to put a solid 12V to the coil at start up so it starts ..

Thanks Tim

Auto Transport Service
Back