• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im right to be mad?

When I have had shops work on my cars.
Before the work starts, there will be no extra holes or changes anywhere unless they consult with me first.
I would be ballistic if that were my car and they didn’t use the correct holes etc.
I have a lot of respect for anyone living off the North American Continent that is restoring ANY North American Automobile.

Do you guys think i can risk it to drive the car 60 miles home without fluid/filter changes if the engine oil looks half way decent?
Really anixious those guys screw up even more when doing further work...

So right now i want to get it out off this shop as soon as possible after it passed inspection in the next few days.
Bevor that they wont do any further work because they are waiting for parts, so they cant screw something up prior to inspection.

If you have a problem with the 4 way flashers or turn signals each one has there own flasher unit under the bottom lip of the dash.

if it were mine , that thing would've already been out of there

if it were mine , that thing would've already been out of there

So you think i can risk it to drive 60 miles as is?
Assuming enough fluid/oil and looking half way decent.

So you think i can risk it to drive 60 miles as is?
Assuming enough fluid/oil and looking half way decent.
I'm guessing you spent quite a bit of money on this car ? I would hope that it was built well and it doesn't sound like there's been a whole bunch of miles put on it? I would imagine it's been well maintained. I don't know the car, but if it were me I'd pull the plug on the operation, just because it sounds like they really don't know what they are doing. but we aren't there

Why don't you ask the previous owner when he last changed the oil and checked the other fluids? He seemed like a decent guy.

The car is very original with just a bit under 90k actual miles and a stack of maintenance records.
I just dont know when the fluids/oil and filter has been changed the last time.
Except from that i dont worry driving this car home.

Dip the oil and feel the oil between your fingers - it should give you an idea of it's condition. As long as the oil doesn't feel like grit between your fingers and is up to the right level I'd drive the 60 miles and not worry about it.

I would check the oil if it looks clean, and there’s antifreeze in the radiator I would get in and drive it home.
No 200k per kilometre on the autobahn. Try 100 k.
Have they done anything with lubricant in the transmission or differential?
I agree that you should look at the previous records.

Dip the oil and feel the oil between your fingers - it should give you an idea of it's condition. As long as the oil doesn't feel like grit between your fingers and is up to the right level I'd drive the 60 miles and not worry about it.

I would check the oil if it looks clean, and there’s antifreeze in the radiator I would get in and drive it home.
I agree that you should look at the previous records.

Thanks i think thats exactly what i will do.

No 200k per kilometre on the autobahn. Try 100 k.

Dont worry i will drive even slower than that as long as the car hasnt recieved a major service. :)

about 80k behind the trucks.

Have they done anything with lubricant in the transmission or differential?

Thankfully not yet.

So you telling me the 69 charger has hazard lights from the factory? They said it does not.
Well i just got WAY more mad...
That shop sounds like a bunch of retards with tools. Best you get that car out of their inexperienced hands and find somewhere else to get the work done. Absolute monkeys.

The car is very original with just a bit under 90k actual miles and a stack of maintenance records.
I just dont know when the fluids/oil and filter has been changed the last time.
Except from that i dont worry driving this car home.
gotcha, top the fluids off and head on out.

Ok, This is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a while! You took their word that there were no emergency flashers on the car. Are they just not working? Did you try them yourself or do a little research on the basic standard items a 69 charger has? I would suggest going back to the basics and read the owner's manual. And for the shop doing unbelievable mods to "get the job done"...well that's a lesson learned. Research the issue yourself and just do it yourself. If you are incapable, research for a reputable place and build a rapport with them to get work done. Still shaking my head!

Ok, This is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a while! You took their word that there were no emergency flashers on the car. Are they just not working? Did you try them yourself or do a little research on the basic standard items a 69 charger has? I would suggest going back to the basics and read the owner's manual. And for the shop doing unbelievable mods to "get the job done"...well that's a lesson learned. Research the issue yourself and just do it yourself. If you are incapable, research for a reputable place and build a rapport with them to get work done. Still shaking my head!

I just took their word. dont know if the original flashers work or not. most likely not or they are even dumber then i can imagine.
Yes its my fault not knowing the car had hazard lights from the factory but they would have done that stupid solution without asking me anyway. so in this case it would not have helped if i would have known.

I realize my experience doesn't come close to yours but, I left my daily driver at a local A/C repair shop and the diagnoses was leaky compressor seal. So, instead of replacing the seal they decided to replace the compressor. I paid well over $300.00 for the "leak" repair. The A/C did not work when I picked it (98 Neon) up as the tech had broke off one of the clutch wires so, I waited around for that to be fixed and finally left with working A/C. I was OK until the next time I changed the oil. The A/C butcher had cut the flange on the radiator support and bent it out of the way to R&R the compressor and left it bent! It wasn't even necessary as I had the compressor out to swap engines previously. I was bent!
Mike

Those are also exactly the people if your engine blows or something else goes wrong saying "those dumb americans cant even build reliable cars" or stuff
like that trying to blame it to the manufacturer/americans. I always get really mad when i hear that because i know its their fault for doing crappy work and maintenance.

Well i knew about those sleazy shops and mechanics from watching scotty kilmers videos.
but never thought i would have to deal with that crap myself. (at least to this extent) lesson learned.

Not everyone has had the opportunity to be around these cars most of their life.
Example. A few years ago an acquaintance bought a 1968 Barracuda notchback. I knew the owner. About 67000 miles on it.It was trucked to Minot ND. Drove it 450 miles no problem.
Because of it’s age it didn’t need a safety inspection. He didn’t listen to advice, took it to a shop to check things
4500.00 later they said you are good to go. I saw all the receipts later, bogus!
He had it 3 years spent 14,500.00 and sold it for 10,500.00. Buyer drove it to British Columbia about 1000 miles. Polished did a few little things and sold it for 22,000.00
He trusted them, they took advantage.
Michael I think you are on a learning curve and I really hope you succeed.
Don’t let anyone make you feel inadequate if you don’t know things.

So i simply turn that flasher switch on and the lights blink? (hazard light)

Okay the car will pass inspection in the next few days and until then they wont do any further work (because they are waiting for parts).
After the car passed i will get it out of this morons place!
pay your bill cut your lose n get it out yesterday

Auto Transport Service
Back