• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Thinking I Should be Getting More Oil

You stated two holes in the shaft, two at each rocker location? I only have one at the bottom, just like the stock ones.

This has become an interesting thread!

Yes, 2 holes per rocker. Also they are thick wall shafts. For the price, they can’t be beat!

Yes, 2 holes per rocker. Also they are thick wall shafts. For the price, they can’t be beat!

You saw the ones that I'm useing in my one post. They are thick also, no distortion when tightened like factory. I'll check into the 440 Source ones for the hole locations. Thanks

I’m thinking a little elongating of the oil hole would work(just like I did many moons ago,imho).

Just watched your video again and I’m not seeing oil coming out of the top hole on the rocker arm. Watch it again and you’ll see what I’m referring too.

Time to pull it apart and see what’s going on. I’m not pushing anything on ya, but the 440SOURCE rocker shafts are good buy, with dual oil holes, I was sold.

Just watched your video again and I’m not seeing oil coming out of the top hole on the rocker arm. Watch it again and you’ll see what I’m referring too.

Time to pull it apart and see what’s going on. I’m not pushing anything on ya, but the 440SOURCE rocker shafts are good buy, with dual oil holes, I was sold.

The one to the left is, but just a little. The one on the right doest look as wet, especially on top of the valve retainer.

It will be a month or so before I can get to this. I've been wanting to get the interrior done but it's been too cold out to get the shop up to temp with the heater I have and the lack of insulation. I'm wanting to do a good inspection on the valve train and cam wear, so I'll do some modifications then.

those of you with "thick wall" shafts:
how thick?
Chrome molly or ???
Hard Chrome
Flash Chrome?
You may have noticed these exist because the stockers go away under high rpm and/or spring pressure.
Needle bearings directly on the shaft takes heat treat- no chrome

FWIF, the 70 and 71 E-bodies with the 340-6V's all had the banana grooves with the ductile iron adjustable rockers.

I really don't think you have a problem.

I fired mine up today, 470 with Isky ductile rockers, 440SOURCE shafts and watched the oil coming off the rockers. I have 60 psi cold, still using the break in oil, it was a lot more than the video. And when I gave it some rpm’s, I got more oil. I’ll do it again tomorrow and get a video of it.

I fired mine up today, 470 with Isky ductile rockers, 440SOURCE shafts and watched the oil coming off the rockers. I have 60 psi cold, still using the break in oil, it was a lot more than the video. And when I gave it some rpm’s, I got more oil. I’ll do it again tomorrow and get a video of it.

Were you looking through the breather hole as the OP was doing? Can you shoot some vid?

i took a small video but don’t have a YouTube account. So if someone can post it, I’ll email it to ya.

You saw the ones that I'm useing in my one post. They are thick also, no distortion when tightened like factory. I'll check into the 440 Source ones for the hole locations. Thanks
whose thicker shafts are they
To the O P, you could always have a .020 to .030 groove machined in to # 4 on the cam.

whose thicker shafts are they
To the O P, you could always have a .020 to .030 groove machined in to # 4 on the cam.

Elgin made in China. They are well made believe it or not. Post #28

That would take a bit of a teardown to get the cam back out and have it done. I'm thinking you might need to have restrictions in place also if you take away that much. I'm mainly stock so I'm wanting what you would have with stock oiling or a little better.

I'm definitely considering grooves in the shafts but I don't think it's totally the problem. I'll have to experiment if I don't find something else causing the lack of oil. One poster said it solved his problem having grooves at the oiling holes, so that might be all it would take. Or even a second hole like 5.7 hemi is talking about.

I texted a video of mine to 1967coronet440, he’s gonna post it up.

Thanks for posting my video!

Auto Transport Service
Back