• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Thinking I Should be Getting More Oil

it's possible for a cold heavy weight oil to not flow good. oil doesn't warm up like water/coolant does.

Thanks for posting my video!

Great of you to do this 5.7. Confirms my thoughts that I should be getting a bit more than what I'm seeing.

I'm planning on getting it apart in the near future and see if I can find what's what or change a couple of things to improve on it.

I never thought this topic would have gone as far as it did and I'm greatly appreciative to all who commented with their thoughts. :thankyou:

Glad to help any way I could.

it's possible for a cold heavy weight oil to not flow good. oil doesn't warm up like water/coolant does.
Very true. In my video the engine is up to temp, 185* and had been there for about 30 min. I'm useing straight 30wt. Brad Penn break-in oil.

What's your thoughts on useing the Crane ductile rockers with one oil hole in the shaft, in the stock location, without any groove through the hole?

Personally, I’d either break out the dremel and groove the holes or get some shafts from 440SOURCE that have 2 holes. Then I’d check each rocker to make sure both oil holes are clear.

I’m just trying to remember from yrs ago. Think I had Isky adjustables and oil just barely hit the header pipes at 1000rpm or so. Not anywhere near a SBC spurt out of their rockers. Always have to err on the caution side tho.

Very true. In my video the engine is up to temp, 185* and had been there for about 30 min. I'm useing straight 30wt. Brad Penn break-in oil.

What's your thoughts on useing the Crane ductile rockers with one oil hole in the shaft, in the stock location, without any groove through the hole?
I never had an issue with crane ductile rockers oiling with stock type shafts. mine always had a stream out the top when the engine was running. check the other side of the engine to see if it's same issue. if one side works good and the other doesn't could be something in the head. both don't work good then maybe the intersecting oil passages in the #4 cam journal may not be fully open. I had an engle one time that the passages weren't drilled thru; that would've never worked. on another note; the crane gold rockers i'm using in one engine aren't gushers but I don't seem to have a problem. also look at the push rod tips for signs of heat.

I've got to get video of mine now (440, Crane ductile arms, Mancini thick shafts w/ cut banana grooves.) I cut the grooves myself with a cutoff disk. My rockers, valves and dprings seem to be getting plenty of oil running Driven 40w oil.

You guys actually seeing more oil flowing in the second vid? I don't see it. They look pretty similar to me.

It looks like the second one has aluminum heads, and the oil is just laying at the base of the valve but can't see any flow difference. Also, there is always more oil laying along the valves the closer you get to the back cylinders. Where were each vid taken, at the front or rear breather opening?

I never had an issue with crane ductile rockers oiling with stock type shafts...........

..........then maybe the intersecting oil passages in the #4 cam journal may not be fully open. I had an engle one time that the passages weren't drilled thru; that would've never worked. on another note;

the crane gold rockers i'm using in one engine aren't gushers but I don't seem to have a problem. also look at the push rod tips for signs of heat.

Same here. Isky and Cranes both on non grooved shafts. If oil delivery is the problem, grooving the shaft is not going to help.

He indicated in an earlier post that he primed the engine and there was plenty of oil up top.

If there was an oil problem, I think you would see it at the PR cups, and the shafts would be galled too.

On the 2nd video, I shot the drivers side and they are #1 cylinder valves. I admit it’s poor quality of video, cell phone, but I do have oil dripping from the outside of the rockers. Also I do have aluminum heads.

There's more oil showing on top of 5.7's valves. Mine aren't getting as wet on top as I would like to see.

I did notice that too and does appear so. But I think his retainers are cupped and yours are flat. I think his might simply be holding the oil giving the appearance of more oil. Maybe not.

When you pull the rocker arm/shafts off, there should be a little wad of oil where the rocker touches the valve tip. If you don't you probably have a problem.

I took an old valve cover and cut the top of it off, cleaned, blasted and painted it so I can see exactly how much oil is coming from the rockers. I’ll take a video and send to 1967coronet440 so he can post it.

B6CAD563-9EEB-4AF0-BCF7-7112BE44B25D.jpeg D3A7EF12-904C-467A-807D-A5AD0CB9BE4B.jpeg

I showed the video of mine to my local engine builder, Tim and he said absolutely nothing wrong with mine. I’ve been waiting for him to get back from the National Roadster Show to have him look at this. Now he’s been building engines for 45+ years, so I’m gonna take his word. I can still check for you guys, just need to get a valve cover gasket. Let me know if it’s still needed to be done.

Auto Transport Service
Back