• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the market for a 4x4 truck

1967coronet440

Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
I have a deal in place to sell my 2006 charger srt and need to find a 4x4 pick up quickly. Open to anything from GM, ford, or dodge no foreign ****. I’ve been looking locally and seen a fairly clean ram with the 4.7 v8 i have no prior dealings with this engine and know nothing about them, anyone have insight? Pros cons etc. thanks in advance

Stay away from the 4.7, enough said!
Find one with a 5.7 or Cummins!

5.7 would be ideal, Cummins probaly a little out of my price range but I’m holding out hope.

the 4.7 is a pos motor and isnt even worth installling.

on the flip side,unless they upgraded the intakes to a one piece,on the 5.7
then be prepared to redo intake split gaskets on these.
first thing youll notice is the popping and the oils gonna be disappearing.
buy the upgraded rails/pan for it and be done w it.

Edit: i was possibly incorrect as i was thinking 5.9 360 motor and not the 5.7 hemi motor.
i am unsure if they kept the split intake design on the 5.7
keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Also wouldn’t mind a 5.9 magnum, I had 2 trucks with that motor they made good power and both had well over 250k mikes when I sold and we’re still running strong.

The 99-2002 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins are priced reasonably, 8-15k.

The 99-2002 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins are priced reasonably, 8-15k.
I found one that was reasonable but the damn thing looked like Swiss cheese. Extended cab and 8’ bed, too bad it was that rusty

Get one from Texas, no rust and it’s closer to you than California.

Just got off the horn with my old man, his friend has a 2010 ram quad cab with 8’ bed with under 100k miles he’s looking for someone to take over payments, 5.7 hemi 4x4. But it has a “blown rearend” so I’m waiting on details on that if I can fix it I might do that. 6k left on loan

Not sure when the Rams went to AAM axles, but if it has the Dana 70, easy peasy.

if its not completely ruined,rebuild that rear and use the spacers Not the factory crush sleeves,
on the pinion.
when setup w spacers,that rear will prolly outlast the truck.

Ok great info guys, confident I can handle the job with everyone’s help here. Waiting details on the truck.

gl to ya man !
so hes got 6k left on the payoff,does he want loot w taking over the loan as well?
keep in mind a competent rearend shop will probably charge you around just under a grand.
you deffo want to look around and have it done right the first time.

ps the spacers Are aftermarket,but they do work very well,much better than the crush sleeves.

Ok it’s a Dana and the ring gear went and he’s saying it destroyed the housing. Think I’m going to pass on it.

Ok it’s a Dana and the ring gear went and he’s saying it destroyed the housing. Think I’m going to pass on it.
Makes you wonder why it blew in the first place.... and without being able to test drive, there could be other unforeseen problems. Definitely pass on that one.
I had a 2007 ram sport (hemi) before buying my 2018 this year. Owned it for 4 years and only work I did to it was replace front axles, common issue. The third gens are good trucks and more desirable to some people because they still had leaf springs out back instead of the coils that were standard on the 2009-18 (fourth gens).

Should have got me up a few months ago...sold my 02 Cummins probably gave it away, body was perfect, motor was strong, dash was a pos...damn I miss that truck! I have a 1500 w/4.7 runs great no issues yet 150k on clock....
There is a company that sells really nice low mileage diesels down here and prices look pretty cheap compared to others
www.everestmotorsinc.com/newandusedcars.aspx?clearall=1

Should have got me up a few months ago...sold my 02 Cummins probably gave it away, body was perfect, motor was strong, dash was a pos...damn I miss that truck! I have a 1500 w/4.7 runs great no issues yet 150k on clock....
There is a company that sells really nice low mileage diesels down here and prices look pretty cheap compared to others
www.everestmotorsinc.com/newandusedcars.aspx?clearall=1
Damn that’s too bad, maybe someone else has something they’re looking to unload here. I’ll check out that site as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back