• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing a Carter Pump

RDC5

Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
I am installing a Carter electric pump on my car, what kind of relay should I install? The ones I've seen are for 30 or 40 amp draw pumps and the info on this pump says it draws 4.5 amps, what relay should I use? Its a 8 psi pump. Thanks

I am installing a Carter electric pump on my car, what kind of relay should I install? The ones I've seen are for 30 or 40 amp draw pumps and the info on this pump says it draws 4.5 amps, what relay should I use? Its a 8 psi pump. Thanks
A 15 amp relay should work fine. You will need to install a pressure regulator and set it at 5 psi if you are running a carb.

The standard relay at places like Napa is 30 Amps, and that is plenty sufficient. You can always wire the pump off the car and test amperage draw if you are really concerned. Like @toolmanmike said, if you're using a carb, check your pressure. I have inline fuel pressure gauges installed on both of my 440's to ensure the pressure is correct.

Thank for the replies, I just ordered a 30 amp relay. Already have a regulator and gauge to install as well

The rating of the components can always exceed the expected amperage...but never should the expected amperage exceed the rating of any one component!

Auto Transport Service
Back