• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to drain a carb dry under acceleration?

Ed, I had the same issue on mine. In AZ during the day it would hit a wall and stumble when getting on it. At night, cooler temps I could jump on it and no stumbles at all. I was running an Eddy 800 cm avs, 3/8" fuel line, Edelbrock high volume mechanical pump.

I hooked up a fuel gauge and mounted it up on the windshield. Pressure was 6.5psi. During the day, wot, the pressure would drop to zero and a few seconds later it would stumble. At night, wot, the pressure only dropped to 2ish psi. Just enough to keep up.

Sent the junk Eddy pump back to Summit and ordered a Holley electric pump and no issues ever again. I have since installed a Holley Sniper tank and in-tank pump. Quieter and still gives it plenty of fuel.
Makes sense, sure. I tried to eliminate the pump from the equation by simply swapping out the fancy new one on mine with a stock off the shelf unit. Same result. I have two stock ones, in fact (engine came with one as well). Same result with both of them, too.
In fact, the same issue has now occurred with two different engines!
That's what leads me to believe the problem is outside the engine/pump/carb realm...

Auto Transport Service
Back