• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a frost plug?

Derv

Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
7BCD3338-F2C1-4EFF-9F9B-CD411249ADAB.jpeg
As you can see, it is leaking. Drivers side. Can I fix this?

Yes you can replace them. but it’s a different style of frost plug. There is a raised ridge of cast iron behind that so don’t pound in on it. I drilled a hole in mine and use a slide hammer, but that won’t work in the car.

When the machine shop did my engine they used a hardened clear sealer around them, he said it’s so they don’t come out on their own.

Now it’s been 11 years and 20K miles and zero problems.

your head is 1962 or older?

F822DEAD-345C-4DCD-9C4C-098792D57ACD.jpeg 3F1322B8-8D4D-4F8D-AD18-8DD1AE4B52A3.png

Last edited:
It sure is. Someone put it in backwards. It has rusted through from the inside. Which means you should replace them all in my opinion.
Read post #2 again, different animal.

And try to put a cupped freeze plug in backwards and tell us how good that works.

Read post #2 again, different animal.

And try to put a cupped freeze plug in backwards and tell us how good that works.
I've seen a lot of stupid things done in my 63 years as a mechanic and electrician. Never underestimate an idiot with a hammer and no instructions.

It looks installed correctly to me. These can't be installed backwards.

Thought the cup faced out. Look's like it is rusted through. Yes drill it and work it out with a big screw driver. At least you have a picture of what it goes in too. Be gentle. But agree it show sign's that the other's may not be far behind.

Put sheetmetal screw in the hole coated with Permatex #1. May last for years.
Mike

This is called a "disc" or "flat" plug, and being that they are concave before it is installed, it is possible to install backwards, but not probable. If the flat area on the head in the pic that R413 posted is corroded, and the plug not sealed or installed incorrectly, it can leak. The plug is removed by using a punch and pushing in the middle with a hammer. This basically loosens it in the bore, then use a dent puller or similar tool, and slide hammer the plug out. The hole for the plug needs to be clean, and the outer peripheral lip seats into the head using a sealer between the block/head and the plug. Then, use a flat bar or socket to "Flatten" the plug with a hammer which locks it into place. Carefully watch the center as it can go too far in, and act as if you are removing it. A socket of the proper size will aid in preventing the center to push in too far due to the ratchet square. I usually finish up with a small bead of RTV and push it into the outer edge like caulking a tile joint as an extra guard to seal it.

P1030321.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG
IMG_4968.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back