• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is WD-40 something that should never be used on any gun?

Remember that on any firearm that you need 2 types of protection.
1. Is for lubrication of the metal/moving parts. Use the proper rated lubes, WD-40 was designed as a penetrant/water displacer (WD).
2. Is for the exterior/furniture. Here you need a sealer of some type.
I have used both personally and professionally ( I managed a chain of gun stores in the 80's) Believe it or not, Lemon Pledge.
It will remove finger prints and puts a coating of wax on the wood and metal surfaces. Repels moisture and dirt/dust. Just a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and you are done. In the gun stores you were constantly wiping off the guns after the customer handled it. Shiny and no prints.
Oils trap moisture and attract dust/dirt ( oil floats on top of water),
Wax seals the surface( think of waxing your car) it repels water/ dirt/dust.
You wouldn't put oil/grease on your cars paint to protect it. You would use a wax/sealer. Same concept.
I have used it on all my hand guns, rifles, shotguns for over 40 years both in the field (winter hunting trips) and at the range.
Guns still look new with no rust. Also smells good.
Use lubes sparsely, just a few drops where needed. I have use Break free CLP since it came to market. I got 4 gallons of it from a friend in the Marine Corps. The Military used it and stored it in 2- 1 gallon bottles per box.
Since then there have been several good lubes come to market. Test and use what you prefer. No WD-40. for guns.

Even though it's not expensive, it's not exactly cheap either plus would have to order it. Was messing with the rifle today. Did you see what I have on hand in post #14?
Understand about ordering. Some mom and pop gun shops sell it.
Had a rusty Winchester bolt action 22 and prolix revived it. Even the wood stock looked better after multiple sprays and soaking with prolix.

Yup, but like I said a bit ago....don't feel like getting out in the rain. And have these other products. Penetrating oil, ATF, 3 in 1 oil, PB Blaster, CLP, 2-26, LUB-E and even a few others after walking around looking.
I think you just need to get yerself an umbrella and take that walk out to the garage :poke:

:rofl: I spend much of my time in the shop lol. Went to the 'lickher' store at around 10 and the rain slacked off but by the time I got home, it was heavier. Thing is, I have a carport behind the shop where I park the beater Dakota and that's what I use for short trips and the lickher store is about a mile away and the better junk stays clean and dry in the shop....and when I got home I pulled in under the carport and walked into the shop from the back door. Yeah, I'm a back door boy :D

Read the post above.....oh well
Ah. So the point is you didn't want to go to the store to get oil. That went right over my head. LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't use any of the items you listed...but that's just me. Sorry to piss on yer parade.

Ah. So the point is you didn't want to go to the store to get oil. That went right over my head. LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't use any of the items you listed...but that's just me. Sorry to piss on yer parade.
Don't feel like you're pissing on my parade....I value your input. The nearest place to get gun cleaning products is several miles away. Walmart might have it but hate going in there and and dealing with that bunch and well, didn't even think about messing with this .22 until after getting home from the lickher store and getting into shorts and a t-shirt.

Don't feel like you're pissing on my parade....I value your input. The nearest place to get gun cleaning products is several miles away. Walmart might have it but hate going in there and and dealing with that bunch and well, didn't even think about messing with this .22 until after getting home from the lickher store and getting into shorts and a t-shirt.
:thumbsup: I know that feeling. lol

Only thing that works 100% on modern door latches as well!
20231011_145938.jpg

WD-40 is fine
Works great in a distributor that's been soaked with water or some such and I believe it's actually
non-conductive as well.
I remember in my early years I wd'd my advance mechanism that was sticky, clamped the cap back down to spin it over and

BOOM!!!!
BLEW THE CAP..... CLEAN OFF..

:lol:

I remember in my early years I wd'd my advance mechanism that was sticky, clamped the cap back down to spin it over and

BOOM!!!!
BLEW THE CAP..... CLEAN OFF..

:lol:
Well Lordy, that's what it was originally developed for....
It's very flammable out of the can because of the propellants, but not after it has been allowed to dry
and the propellants have dispersed.

Remember that on any firearm that you need 2 types of protection.
1. Is for lubrication of the metal/moving parts. Use the proper rated lubes, WD-40 was designed as a penetrant/water displacer (WD).
2. Is for the exterior/furniture. Here you need a sealer of some type.
I have used both personally and professionally ( I managed a chain of gun stores in the 80's) Believe it or not, Lemon Pledge.
It will remove finger prints and puts a coating of wax on the wood and metal surfaces. Repels moisture and dirt/dust. Just a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and you are done. In the gun stores you were constantly wiping off the guns after the customer handled it. Shiny and no prints.
Oils trap moisture and attract dust/dirt ( oil floats on top of water),
Wax seals the surface( think of waxing your car) it repels water/ dirt/dust.
You wouldn't put oil/grease on your cars paint to protect it. You would use a wax/sealer. Same concept.
I have used it on all my hand guns, rifles, shotguns for over 40 years both in the field (winter hunting trips) and at the range.
Guns still look new with no rust. Also smells good.
Use lubes sparsely, just a few drops where needed. I have use Break free CLP since it came to market. I got 4 gallons of it from a friend in the Marine Corps. The Military used it and stored it in 2- 1 gallon bottles per box.
Since then there have been several good lubes come to market. Test and use what you prefer. No WD-40. for guns.
I like the Lemon Pledge on wood part. Sounds a lot better than stinky ol' Ballistol. :)

I have used CLP for years in my competition pistols. No problems yet after tens of thousands of rounds in three different guns.

Well I be danged!! Found a bottle Outers gun oil in one of my old gun cleaning kits. Used to buy the kits and add to them for cleaning engine blocks etc. and cleaned a gun or two too.

Well Lordy, that's what it was originally developed for....
It's very flammable out of the can because of the propellants, but not after it has been allowed to dry
and the propellants have dispersed.
Man, just checked and yeah, WD-40 will light off when spraying over an open flame but never ever had a problem starting up a wet engine right after spraying out a distributor cap....I'm guessing the propellant dissipated by the time the cap was reinstalled and hitting the key.

Well I be danged!! Found a bottle Outers gun oil in one of my old gun cleaning kits. Used to buy the kits and add to them for cleaning engine blocks etc. and cleaned a gun or two too.
well there ya' go, problem solved...

wd-40 for repairs/penetrating oil, water dispersion
it won't hurt most guns (some older guns bluing may get messed up)
anything short-term, it's not intended to be used as gun oil...
Maybe;
in a warm damp or humid climate where it never gets less than like 45*
it may not gum up...
But if you do;
I'd suggest just wipe it down well & use the correct gun oils for the lubricants
or cleaning...

Never tried 'pledge' wax, on any gun or stock/"furniture"
never even heard of that one...

I've got a crapload of Hoppe's Nitro Power Solvent No.9 Mark
4 oz. bottles, still from back when I ran Target Masters, in the mid 80's
seems OK haven't used anything else in a long time
it says $1.95 on the bottle so its been decades ago, stinky stuff...
it's;
too bad I lost all of mine in that crazy boat accident, off the coast

I remember some old trapper in Alaska in the mid 1980's
using bacon grease & he swore by it, I wouldn't do it still

a good gun oil has creep/climb ability
it gets into the crevices really good

Last edited:
My experience is mainly with handguns, but I used WD-40 for an exterior protectant for 40 plus years with no ill effects and it did the job.

Since everyone is stating their favorites, I prefer Ballistol on all of mine. Stinks like hell, works great
for the last century or so. Good on leather, wood, etc. as well.

Ballistol works great, but does kind of smell like a wet dog.

Can someone explain to me what's the big heartburn in using WD-40 on a firearm?
What's wrong with WD-40?
What does, it or doesn't it do?
Why is one "cleaning, lubricating" agent better than another?

Auto Transport Service
Back