• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just found this Hemi swap forum - My Hemi Swap 68

Excellent thread, this is nearly exactly what I have to do to my '72 Satellite wagon (originally 318/904/8.75, currently 360/727/8.75). Donor 05 Magnum R/T, 5.7 Hemi with trans, have donor car (complete) so I have computers, pedal, sensors, etc. This will hopefully help me find some direction (and motivation) to get moving on the project - thanks for posting!

Great looking '68!

Excellent thread, this is nearly exactly what I have to do to my '72 Satellite wagon (originally 318/904/8.75, currently 360/727/8.75). Donor 05 Magnum R/T, 5.7 Hemi with trans, have donor car (complete) so I have computers, pedal, sensors, etc. This will hopefully help me find some direction (and motivation) to get moving on the project - thanks for posting!

Great looking '68!
Absolutely. Happy to share my experiences with this process. It's been a lot of learning but the results have been well worth it. The car is so much more powerful and responsive now and gets great gas mileage too! It's been a win-win all around!

Great build! I recently completed my 70’s Satellite build with a 2014 SRT Hemi and 46RH but I’m thinking about swapping a nag1 I’ve laying around.

Keep up the good work!

Quick update to the car.
Finally got my American Racing Vector wheels in (been waiting 3 months!) and Cooper Cobra tires.
15x7 front and rear sizes (8.5 wheels are still on backorder till end of year)
235-60-15 front
275-60-15 rear

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

And if you are a fan of my videos.......

Last edited:
Did you use a new shifter cable for the trans? If so which part number?

I've found part number 68067439ae and it's from a Jeep, but it only is 18 inches long/short. I want to redirect the cable through the firewall back to the trans, so i don't think 18 inches is long enough.

Did you use a new shifter cable for the trans? If so which part number?

I've found part number 68067439ae and it's from a Jeep, but it only is 18 inches long/short. I want to redirect the cable through the firewall back to the trans, so i don't think 18 inches is long enough.
I used the factory shifter cable out of the 2006 Charger. It's been perfect.

Haven't posted in a while.
Drove my daughter to school today and then onto work in the 68.
With less cars on the road this week and good weather, I felt it was a good time to stretch her legs.
Car is running great.

IMG_3463.jpg

Going a very similar route with my 70 Coronet 500. Struggling with exhaust manifolds hitting the PS box and looking at the headers as plan B. Do you have any photos of the fit near the PS box and the starter you can share? Thanks for the great content here and Youtube. I've watched them each probably 10 times or more! I hope to get my NAG1 setup from Russell coming soon as that will be the next phase.
Engine Bay Try 1.jpg

Going a very similar route with my 70 Coronet 500. Struggling with exhaust manifolds hitting the PS box and looking at the headers as plan B. Do you have any photos of the fit near the PS box and the starter you can share? Thanks for the great content here and Youtube. I've watched them each probably 10 times or more! I hope to get my NAG1 setup from Russell coming soon as that will be the next phase.
View attachment 1390847
Sounds like it would be more of a problem in an a-body

Using the car as a donor makes things more difficult. A truck is much simpler.

Could you provide some detail as to why this is?
The timing cover is different. The modern truck has the accessories in the same place as the classic cars. Alt, A/C compressor, power steering pump and the 727 gives you the starter on left side. My 5.7 not only has factory exhaust manifolds, it even has heat shields on it. I have zero conflicts with clearances. My water outlet on top is on the wrong side but I had a factory style radiator made with the neck moved by the greatest radiator guy on here. I have a compressor and an Air Grabber. By battery tray clears as does my 69 Hemi brake booster. The main reason people use the car engine is to keep the cold air inlet on the front of the motor. That gives that nice clean uncluttered engine that looks totally out of place on a classic car. My opinion.

DSCN1416.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

Thanks for that and the pics, very informative. Are you using a truck intake where the TB faces directly up?

Thanks for that and the pics, very informative. Are you using a truck intake where the TB faces directly up?
That is the Mopar Performance Crate Motor Intake that came out in the mid 2000's. I wanted the Air Grabber so I had to run a 4150 intake.

Tampa is using an early non eagle it appears. There are 6 different fmea setups through the years I think?
Early truck
Later truck but still not eagle
Early car/jeep
Eagle truck with ps
Eagle car/jeep with ps
Eagle truck electric steer
Eagle car/jeep electric steer

Well and I guess truck e torque
Car used 1 style intake whole time, non eagle truck used the one with tb near the back, eagle points up in the front

Correct about the non-Eagle, I actually don't even know what that is. Mine is a 2006 truck crate motor 5.7. If this is about the "Eagle" engine I spoke out of turn, if not educate me. My car is a convertible and I built it as a highway cruiser. It just has to look good and sound good and it does that for me!

Yes, eagle refers to the improved head design starting in 09 though there were short block improvements as well. 6.4 heads are called Apache.

They are copies and improvements of the 6.1 heads.

View attachment 1390847
Thanks for the comments/feedback.
My TTI headers fit like a glove and I definitely recommend them unless you are just wanting the stock type manifolds for other reasons.

Pic of engine mount and where I had to cut a small piece off back of the AC compressor to allow it to fit.
IMG_1766.jpg

This is what my front engine accessories look like -
IMG_9216.jpg

Prior to install -
IMG_1768.jpg

I don't have any good pics around the steering box or starter, but next time I have the car on the lift, I'll snap some for you.

Ryan

Auto Transport Service
Back