• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lakewood bellhousing and an MSD mini-starter…Anyone ever use this combo?

Plumcrazybee

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls! Hope everybody is doing great! It was a good day here at home. But I have a question, so here goes...

Anyone ever run a Lakewood bellhousing (p/n 15330) with an MSD mini-starter specifically? Or how about a Lakewood bellhousing with ANY mini-starter? Trying to get installation nailed down.

Have brand new scattershield, MSD mini-starter, Billet 132 tooth Mcleod flywheel, clutch, and throwout bearing. Lakewood block plate is on, flywheel & clutch on as well. Now I am down to the 4 configurations (A-D) they list in instructions. None of the configurations lists MSD mini-starter by name, but there are MANY mini-starters also not listed.

A. Direct drive starter w/ 172 tooth flywheel
B. Gear reduction starter w/ 143 tooth flywheel
C. Gear reduction starter w/ 132 tooth flywheel
D. Small block engines

I bought the starter adapter kit w/ the bellhousing. And that kit is where I got the installation instructions for various configs. I have not yet punched out any of the blanking plates on block plate, because that is where I ran into my confusion.

I emailed the guys at Lakewood. Response I got was literally "install stock starter." I bought this expensive little red starter for a reason. I don't want to install a stock starter!

This morning I got a survey email asking me how my tech assistance experience was. I chose "really bad." Then I was asked specifically what I felt could have been done better. I replied that all I really wanted to know is WHY I could not use my pretty new MSD starter. Local speed shop here in Denver run by very knowledgable racers, and they double checked that MSD starter would be compatible with bellhousing.

Anybody out there have experience with this? If so, I really need help understanding how a mounting point that will accept a big gear reduction starter won't accept a mini-starter with exactly the same attach point, nose is same depth as stock, and all that I really see that is different is the size of the motor.

Anybody?

DSC_9698.jpgDSC_9702.jpg

Thank you 68383GTS for confirming what I knew in my gut. I guess my REAL question is why the number of companies that give a damn about customers is getting so incredibly small?

I ran a mini starter with my blow proof and it fit and worked fine. The answer to your Q is Fast Easy money !!
It dosn't make them have to think about working out a problem !!

I have an old Lakewood bell housing with a mini starter (Chrysler) and I had to grind the block to make it fit. It fits the bell housing just fine but interfered with the block. I cut out a section of the block plate so the starter mounting flange was flush to the bell housing. That allowed the nose cone to pilot into the hole in the bell as it should. Flywheel is 143T I believe (10.5" clutch set up). Oh, and that mini starter you have looks the same as the factory MoPar one.

Thanks for the help guys! I pretty much knew it would work, but this is my first big block Mopar since……EVER.
Hey Meep Meep, thank you, that is a good idea to make starter flush. And no, I am running 132 tooth flywheel with 10.5" clutch. Well, I could also install an 11" if I wanted to, have both bolt patterns. And yes, I agree my new MSD starter "looks" like stock Mopar starter, but is not even close to it in size when laid side by side.

Thanks again to everybody! Happy Mopar-ing!

And yes, I agree my new MSD starter "looks" like stock Mopar starter, but is not even close to it in size when laid side by side.

Pretty sure he meant a stock small/mini starter.

Fyi...I've used Lakewood and McLeod bells in the past on diff applications, always had fitment issues that reqd grinding/beating something. Used a few Quicktimes since they came out...MUCH nicer product.

Yeah, I am pretty sure he did too. And the reason he was is because of Lakewood's statement that I just needed to run stock starter. But thanks for clarifying.

I had the Lakewood up on the block. Looks like it will fit pretty easily. At least it looks that way. Seems odd that Accel Performance would own both Lakewood and Quicktime, and one would fit great, and one would not. But I guess just because you are owned by same corp, doesn't mean they share anything between them.

I have never even seen a McLeod bellhousing, so don't have an opinion either way. I do know that if there was another bellhousing out there that was neither a Quicktime or a Lakewood, I would return the Lakewood and buy it, just because of the assclown reply I got from Lakewood "technical assistance."

Thanks again for your input.

Dean

I also run a Lakewood with the mini-starter on my 440 - I think the starter is the Matsushita (Japanese for MoPar)

Thank you Kiwi. I appreciate your help.

The other thing I have been trying to find is exactly where do I have to grind the half moon shape out of the passenger side of bellhousing according to TTI? It sure would be nice to do that on the bench before I even attempt to install headers. But that might be a pipe dream, as I imagine the shape and location vary quite a bit. Just wishful thinking..

No grinding on mine - I also run TTI 1-3/4" headers. It's a close fit at the front of the starter (you can get a feeler gauge in there) but it is clear :headbang:

Last edited:
It's a close fit at the front of the starter (you can get a feeler gauge in there) but it is clear :headbang:

Wow, "A" feeler gauge? Which one? LOL, that sounds pretty freaking tight. I'll probably be running 1 7/8" TTI headers. That or the 2" set. It's not "probably" as far as what header company, as despite their wonderful phone manners, I will be buying the TTI's. The probably is 1 7/8" or 2" as I have not yet decided. Hope I can fit at least a feeler gauge in there somewhere.

Thanks for the input again kiwigtx. I sure do appreciate it.

Auto Transport Service
Back