• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last '69 Built?

dfrazz

Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
I picked up this '69 Satellite vert and am curious when production stopped for this model year and if this could be one of the last built? Also, does anyone know what the "19" in the top right means and little "u" punched out? Thanks!
IMG_3712.JPG

The "u" punched in the tag is a line inspectors mark.

Your car has a "scheduled" build date of June 27th, 1969........so yes, it is towards the last of the model year but not necessarily the last one by any means. Usually model year production ended sometime in early/mid July and then the NEW model year production would pick up again in early/mid August. There was usually about a two week production shutdown for line change over to the new models during this time.

In the early '70's I worked at a major automotive supplier (Bendix) and we would have pretty much the same summer production shutdowns as the automakers did for MY changover.

If you can get 69coronetRT's attention, he can most likely give you much more information on your car and its codes/stampings.

The highest SPD I've seen from 69 STL production is 709. So 627 would be toward the end but there were about 7,000 more VINs assigned after this one.

The number 19 number is a typical punch for the STL plant. I've heard some theories about the number but I do not know what it is for. We do know the number is covered in paint so, unlike the inspection punch, it was on the tag before the body was painted. It likely has something to do with body in white production.

There's nothing that really stands out on the tag. It was a sales bank ordered blue with white and blue interior, 318 automatic, A01 A04 package car. It's probably just a nice looking, nice driving vert.

Thank you both. This is good info to have and helps a lot!

The highest SPD I've seen from
There's nothing that really stands out on the tag. It was a sales bank ordered blue with white and blue interior, 318 automatic, A01 A04 package car. It's probably just a nice looking, nice driving vert.

The fender tag decode tools I am using on line seem to not recognize the AO1 (unknown top color). Is it just a code for a white top?

A01 is the option code for the "Light Package". (Glove box, Map light, Trunk, etc.)

V7W calls out the "White Longitudinal Stripes"

and P6C is your white & BLUE vinyl bucket seats. Don't see anything indicating a white top on your tag.

Last edited:
Top color is not coded on a 69 St. Louis built convertible tag.

P6C = white and blue

Auto Transport Service
Back