• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaky steering box fix?

sublimegtx

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
I think I might have found when my steering box is leaking from. My question is in attached pic there is like a cover/plate on the top where pencil points to. Seems like there may be two bolts holding it down.Is there a gasket under there that may be leaking? Is there just the two bolts and I can lift it off, nothing's gonna come flying out that I'll have no idea where it came from ;) Thank you.
P4071797.jpgP4071796.jpg

there are 3 o-rings under there... there is a spring under there so take 'er out sloooooowly. otherwise, easy-peasy

DSC00393.JPGDSC00394.JPG

Thanks Mar, I hate when unexpected stuff comes flying out :)

Word of caution: Be careful when you get it back together. I seem to recall from years ago that if the alignment isn't quite right of the block the steering wheel will spin one way or the other by itself. Not a 'big' deal as long as your arm isn't between the wheel spokes (why would it be) or if you are holding onto it. I could be wrong but best to be safe. ;)

Yes, the o-rings in question are in that complete gear box reseal kit. I will second the warning about making sure the steering valve assembly is positioned correctly before test driving. Check the FSM for the correct adjustment procedure.

Yes, the o-rings in question are in that complete gear box reseal kit. I will second the warning about making sure the steering valve assembly is positioned correctly before test driving. Check the FSM for the correct adjustment procedure.

x2 they'll be there.

If your not going to use the whole kit why not just get the 3 0 rings you need?Maybe a buck or 2 for what you need.Just a thought.

Where would I get them? I'd love to not buy the whole kit, but I don't want to take it apart and then try to find just the three o rings.

you could go to Ace Hardware...they have a crap ton of o-rings. just gotta hope the ones in there currently are in good shape so you can take them with you and compare.

prob would be better for you to spend just $2-3 instead of $32!! :)

you could go to Ace Hardware...they have a crap ton of o-rings. just gotta hope the ones in there currently are in good shape so you can take them with you and compare.

prob would be better for you to spend just $2-3 instead of $32!! :)

x2. Go on an o-ring hunt lol. I checked over my ps box before I installed it and found some play in one of the shaft seals, everything else seemed fine so I just picked up the $5 seal at a local autoparts place instead of buying the whole kit. :icon_thumleft:

Ya I thought of that. Most of the time I try that the size never quite matches wrong id, od or thickness. I suppose it's worth a shot. If I have to buy the kit maybe someone else could use my spare parts :)

i might have a spare set i could mail to you--but they are going to be used. probably better off going on the hunt...lol

could also bring the part with you and size 'em up...

Auto Transport Service
Back