• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane slugs

Thank safety laws and idiotic company policy for installing speed limiters in the trucks. Nothing more frustrating or dangerous for a driver than when you pass a slower semi and the POS driver in the truck you're passing bumps up his speed and your speed limited truck can't accelerate to get by him. So after a mile or 2 you pull in behind the POS and then he slows down. It's unbelievable the talent out on the roads these days. I predict this will happen with autos too, just a matter of time until they are electronically speed limited as well thanks to the Big Mommy society we live in these days.

Speaking of potential poorly thought out traffic control issues.....

FL recently implemented "left turn at your own risk" flashing yellow turn arrows.
These were already in TX when I was through there around 2004.
I like them. Especially if they replace a red "no left turn" arrow.
However, the oncoming right turn lanes at most of the intersections where these new lights have been installed do not have yield signs.
This is a problem where one road is 4 lane and the other is only 2 lane.
Now the yellow arrow is causing people turning left (from the 4 lane onto the 2 lane) to believe they have the right of way vs people in that oncoming right turn lane, which clearly is not the case since the yellow signifies "if clear".
Of course the "simple" fix is to put up a LOT more yield signs. But now, where I once had the right of way vs oncoming left turn traffic, I now do not.

It is not a problem for traffic turning from the 2 lane onto the 4 lane except......FL has no law that says you have to stay in your lane during a turn.
OH had a law that said traffic turning from a 4 lane to another 4 lane had to maintain their lane.
This prevented collisions with right turn cars and left turn cars turning onto the same road at the same time.
Right turns from a 2 lane onto a 4 lane were required to turn into the right hand lane.
Left turn- left lane. MUCH more efficient to get turning traffic through a timed intersection light.

Last edited:
keep-right-unless-to-pass-sign.jpg slower-traffic-keep-right.jpg
Any mutli-lane in this state (TN). Only problem is, it's not enforced very often...
Why?
The fine isn't high enough for LEO to take time to do so (but don't you dare say "quota"
around any of 'em).

Know what DOES get people to clear the left lane?
Driving one of these:
100_1125.JPG
Seems to get their attention. :lol:

There is no law regarding "cruising" in the left lane in Canada. The speed limit is 100 kph (60 mph) but most will drive around 120 kph (72 mph) and unless you're driving recklessly you generally will not be pulled over at that speed. HOWEVER, if traffic is moving at 120 and someone is in the left lane doing the speed limit and holding up traffic they can be pulled over and charged with obstructing traffic. It would be a rare occurence but its possible.
We have highways with 110 and 120 km/h (75 mph) limits in BC, and you'll quite often see signs saying "Keep Right Except To Pass".

View attachment 1411063 View attachment 1411064
Any mutli-lane in this state (TN). Only problem is, it's not enforced very often...
Why?
The fine isn't high enough for LEO to take time to do so (but don't you dare say "quota"
around any of 'em).

Know what DOES get people to clear the left lane?
Driving one of these:
View attachment 1411065
Seems to get their attention. :lol:
I just was about to post a picture of the sign. They have way too few of them. People don’t pay attention to them anyway I guess. From Fl. statutes ; Official traffic control devices may be erected directing specified traffic to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the roadway; and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such device.

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" is much more common than "Keep Right Except To Pass".

I usually see the second one in construction zones and where the median on a divided highway has something going on with it.

However, it could be another cash caw for the government if they decided that me "passing" 35 cars in the left lane is now illegal.
Where do you get that idea? That, and your question earlier about "how many am I allowed to pass?" have zero bearing on the article I read...

If I'm only allowed in the left lane to pass, then how many cars am I allowed to pass before I have to get back in the middle or right lane?

Will the law say I must get back in the right lane when there's a "safe gap" in the traffic in that lane?

If I have to get back over and travel with the speed of the traffic in that lane, what's the point of "passing".

If I'm only allowed in the left lane to pass, then how many cars am I allowed to pass before I have to get back in the middle or right lane?

Will the law say I must get back in the right lane when there's a "safe gap" in the traffic in that lane?

If I have to get back over and travel with the speed of the traffic in that lane, what's the point of "passing".
Good point. As many as you can without exceeding the speed limit? :lol:

Good point. As many as you can without exceeding the speed limit? :lol:

Which is also a good point as the law seems to be of most benefit to those who routinely travel well over the posted limit.

From the thread title, you're referring to NYC drivers. Keep right, except to pass. Unfortunately, NY drivers are too stupid to realize basic highway driving. So Florida, like NJ, has these dummies clogging up the passing lane.
HAHAHA!!! Get back to me when you Jersey drivers learn how to use a traffic circle!

Just because there is a new law, don't raise any hopes of left lane squaters changing behaviour. They do it because they are too stupid to understand or participate in cooperative driving. It's the same everywhere. The only places I have seen where left lane squatting is rare is the open spaces of the western states like UT, ID, MT where speed limits are 80mph+ and traffic is light enough for them to squat in the right lane where they can drive without thought.

This is probably the most common sign you'll see on any BC highway with a greater than 80 km/h (50 mph.) limit.
1675279066793.png

It is the law in BC. From this website: Drivers failing to keep right can be fined $167 and three driver penalty points. And no, I don't know anyone who's ever been stopped or fined for breaking that rule.

That is an oddly drawn sign.

It suggests the road was substantially narrower before the person moved into the right lane.

That is an oddly drawn sign.

It suggests the road was substantially narrower before the person moved into the right lane.
Maybe it’s placed where multiple lanes begin. Just get right if not passing. Maybe the idiot closing from behind wants to go a buck and a half. Who cares? Let em go. Maybe they can help keep LEO’s busy for a while. There is always someone faster.

HAHAHA!!! Get back to me when you Jersey drivers learn how to use a traffic circle!
Can't be referring to me. I'm born & raised on the streets of Brooklyn, drove a yellow cab in Manhattan in college. So, yeah, NYC drivers are morons. But, don't soil your underwear, Jersey drivers are maniacs.

It also doesn't clearly show that the black car was in the same lane as the green car.

NOT AT ALL what I would have drawn.

*In a previous life I was a technical documentation writer and the instructions I wrote, for non-technical people as well as technical staff had to be pretty darn accurate and account for any "what could the reader possibly misinterpret" scenarios.

2 minutes with MS paint-

1675282184895.png

Which is also a good point as the law seems to be of most benefit to those who routinely travel well over the posted limit.
It's a simple concept really...
In such instances, you are allowed usage of the left lane if you are in process of overtaking another vehicle.
That remains in effect until such time as a)YOU are now being overtaken (and must therefore yield to the right)
or b)you're done passing slower cars.

I'm usually one of the faster cars out there on a given highway - but I'd bet I spend over 90% of my time in
the right lane. Get the pass done and get yer arse back over. :)
To me, it's part and parcel of being considerate of fellow travelers.

Auto Transport Service
Back