• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane slugs

you guys are all missing the point. These left lane slugs are looking out for you. They don't want to see you or someone else get hurt because speed kills. The evening news lady said so and she's right because she is on TV.
They really believe that.

Lots of laws on the books in Georgia, but seldom enforced and this one is never, ever enforced:

The “Slow Poke” Law​

Pursuant to House Bill 459, slower drivers must move out of the passing lane (most left-hand lane) and over to the right to allow faster-moving traffic to proceed. Regardless of the speed you are traveling, you must move from the lane when faster traffic is approaching. The only exceptions are:
  • When traffic conditions make it necessary to drive in the passing lane;
  • When inclement weather, obstructions, or hazards make it necessary to drive in the passing lane;
  • When compliance with a law of this state or with an official traffic control device makes it necessary to drive in the passing lane;
  • When your vehicle must be driven in the passing lane to exit or turn left;
  • When it is necessary to pay a toll or use a pass on toll highways;
  • Authorized emergency vehicles engaged in official duties; or
  • Vehicles engaged in highway maintenance and construction operations.

IT’S THE LAW!​

We have very lil' even 3-4 lane roads where I live
not a huge problem
but;
the slowpoke tourists, in an EV/Prius, Volt, Tesla, KIA :blah:
on a windy *** 2 lane mountain road is freaken' torture
I take most all the turns at 45 (speed limit), very lil' braking

I used to hate them people (left-lane slow ********)
when I lived in the Bay Area & by Sacramento,
I don't deal with that, much if ever here,
no freeways/major hyws for almost 100 miles circumference
my blood pressure is far better for it too
been a sort of tranquil 17 years now

The worst ones are the "Left lane control freaks" that speed up as you try to pass them creating a very dangerous situation. I can't understand what is broken in these kind of people. They'll tell you that they are driving that way to be safe but somehow don't mind causing a three car wreck ( One of those cars being them). I figure their lives are probably in total chaos and they will try to get control anywhere they can. I'm most likely overthinking it but i've had a lot of extra time to think about it being stuck behind them.

You’re describing Rhode Island drivers

I believe they need to have those reminder signs flash up on your phone when you pass one, that's what people are looking at going down the road.

It's a simple concept really... I spend over 90% of my time in
the right lane. Get the pass done and get yer arse back over. :)
To me, it's part and parcel of being considerate of fellow travelers.
I do see your point BUT here in CA, the right lane is often beat to **** by big rigs. The highest gas tax in the nation with some of the crappiest roads....Where does the gas tax go? Social programs for the "disadvantaged" ??
I am in the left lane until I see someone coming up faster, then I move for them.

Here's the problem-

When am I required to move from the left lane to the middle or right lane?

A- When I am "done" passing slower cars, or B- when a faster car approaches in the left lane.

So far, everyone agrees with B.

The issue is that it could be enforced as A.

IMO the law would need to be written specifically to allow that.

People are too busy looking at their phone to check their rear view mirror. I spend a lot of time in the hammer lane but if someone is gaining on me I slide over to let them go by. They can flush out the State Troopers instead of me…

I don’t want to run 80-90 with my eyes in the mirror looking for the guy who wants to run 110.
Yes, 101 and 5 have bumpy right lanes from trucks in some areas. There are always exceptions. Just GTFO of the way whatever it takes. Seems the squatters always misjudge closing speed. Then you either have to slow, or pass on the right. Then they wake up and who knows what they will do.

That is an oddly drawn sign.

It suggests the road was substantially narrower before the person moved into the right lane.
In many areas, particularly in mountain areas where the highway is single lane, it will divide into two lanes every few kilometres or miles just to give people a chance to pass slow trucks or camping trailers when large vehicles lose speed climbing up the hills.

We have that "in the middle of nowhere" as well.

I think the gist of the issue being discussed in this thread doesn't really apply there.

I could be wrong, though.

you guys are all missing the point. These left lane slugs are looking out for you. They don't want to see you or someone else get hurt because speed kills. The evening news lady said so and she's right because she is on TV.
They really believe that.
I call them "Self appointed traffic monitors".

I don’t want to run 80-90 with my eyes in the mirror looking for the guy who wants to run 110.
Yes, 101 and 5 have bumpy right lanes from trucks in some areas. There are always exceptions. Just GTFO of the way whatever it takes. Seems the squatters always misjudge closing speed. Then you either have to slow, or pass on the right. Then they wake up and who knows what they will do.
so does 99 have 'bumpy all over the place',
in some areas all the lanes, including the far left
(clickity click going down the hwy, concrete parting lines)
if you drive A short/er w-b or lifted 4x4 or Jeep, you'd know what I mean
cars are not as bad

Last edited:
I do see your point BUT here in CA, the right lane is often beat to **** by big rigs. The highest gas tax in the nation with some of the crappiest roads....Where does the gas tax go? Social programs for the "disadvantaged" ??
I am in the left lane until I see someone coming up faster, then I move for them.
Nobody asked about road condition lane preference here - I certainly didn't.
I merely expressed what the law is here in TN.

Here's the problem-

When am I required to move from the left lane to the middle or right lane?

A- When I am "done" passing slower cars, or B- when a faster car approaches in the left lane.

So far, everyone agrees with B.

The issue is that it could be enforced as A.

IMO the law would need to be written specifically to allow that.
No, "everyone" doesn't.
Again, a real simple concept - if you're in the process of passing a slower vehicle, finish the damn pass.
Once done, yield back to the right lane so that the one behind you can then complete their pass as well.

In many areas, particularly in mountain areas where the highway is single lane, it will divide into two lanes every few kilometres or miles just to give people a chance to pass slow trucks or camping trailers when large vehicles lose speed climbing up the hills.
Yep, here in the Appalachians as well - designated passing zones.
Guess which lane appears in those, to be used for necessary passing?
Yup. Left one...

When I was in my tool truck and driving into town I would always get in the left lane to give merging cars a place to go. When John Deere get's off work there is a steady stream merging for a half hour. Just making it easy for them and the trucks. I often got a blink of the lights or a friendly wave of appreciation.

There was a time in many states that it was actually illegal to pass someone on the right.
Wonder if it still is anywhere?Even if it isn't, it's still not a good idea. Obvious reasons...

They did this here quite a few years back, it's called "the no loitering law" and applies to roads with 80km or higher speed limits. Now 90% of drivers think that the left lane ( or proverbial fast lane) is the ******* autobahn no matter what the speed limit is and drive like ********. Dumbest thing they ever did because the accident rates have gone through the roof. Government stupidity at its finest.

Auto Transport Service
Back