• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane slugs

"No passing on the right" is usually worded to be applicable where there's a white line to designate the right edge of the lane.

At least in OH and FL it is.

I just saw a new one of those signs go up last month.

There's an entrance to a school on a 2 lane road that gets busy around 3 pm, and people stopped to turn left into the school hold up a LOT of traffic.
Folks had taken to passing them on the right.
The problem is that sometimes people waiting to turn would get frustrated, change their minds and go straight sometimes meeting a car that was in the process of passing them on the right.

It's technically always illegal to do that, but I guess the local authorities thought people in that area needed a reminder.

When am I required to move from the left lane to the middle or right lane?
When you are not actively passing another vehicle.

It's pretty simple, really - why are you so insistent on harping on this? Or do you just like to "hang out" in the passing lane because that's where all the cool kids are?

iowa-roadsigns-1600356234.gif?crop=1.00xw:1.gif

"No passing on the right" is usually worded to be applicable where there's a white line to designate the right edge of the lane.

At least in OH and FL it is.

I just saw a new one of those signs go up last month.

There's an entrance to a school on a 2 lane road that gets busy around 3 pm, and people stopped to turn left into the school hold up a LOT of traffic.
Folks had taken to passing them on the right.
The problem is that sometimes people waiting to turn would get frustrated, change their minds and go straight sometimes meeting a car that was in the process of passing them on the right.

It's technically always illegal to do that, but I guess the local authorities thought people in that area needed a reminder.
Oh we cover those white lines up with excessive amounts of rock salt, can you say freeforall.

Lookit...
NOC0NNW1-12.jpg
It's quite apparent those who are expressing their resistance to not being left-lane bandits in this thread
are the "left lane slugs" the OP is referring to.

Rather than driving in the vein of being one of the travelling masses out there at a given time, which
means working with others to make the flow of traffic as safe (and yes, as expedient) as possible,
they're more obstinate on defending their "right" to be a rolling roadblock - and they know damn well
they're aggravating their fellow travellers in doing so.
"Nope....not moving....nobody gonna rush me....nope....."
NASCAR needs pace cars. The public highways do not, appointed or not.

Here's a thought:
How about working with the flow of traffic, being considerate of other drivers (and even anticipatory of
immediate future maneuvers those around you are likely to be making) and getting out of the way of
those wanting to travel faster than you?
How about giving those folks trying to merge from an on-ramp a little courtesy and move over?
What say we allow that trucker who is in the process of losing momentum from getting "pinched" by a careless auto
driver a lane to work over into so he doesn't have to spend the next several miles building speed back up?

There's plenty of instances, times, places that it's prudent and encouraged to "make a stand" in this life.
The left lane ain't one of them.
It not only aggravates fellow travellers and impedes the flow of traffic, it's downright dangerous sometimes.
It ain't all about you. Move over, law or not.

A lot of states already have this in laws or county statutes. Story time!

My folks, living in upper Michigan, barely over the state line from WI(Marinette/Menominee)
Michigan has a law or maybe it is some local statute about driving in the left lane.
Michigan also has winter. So the roads are sometimes, not so good. Sometimes from weather, sometimes the frost heaves a lane into a carnival ride, sometimes the heavy truck make ruts so deep rain makes 4" deep "lakes" for a half mile at a time.....
Brother in law. Menominee. 11:30 at night. Only car in sight on either side of the 4 lane road in town where the speed limit is 35. Where there are stop lights.
Drives in the left lane, because the right lane is flooded from the rain he is in deep enough to make his car hydroplane.
Gets pulled over. Fined. Told he can pay at town hall.
In case you don't understand this situation, this is a town with one hotel, 5 places to eat are on one side of the state highway that goes through town and on the other side is 100 year old 2 bedroom houses with so little population most of the intersections are uncontrolled. You can drive all the way through town, stopping at every light, in about 4 minutes doing 35mph. The roads are empty at 11:30pm because the entire town is shut down by 9.

Nope, no way LAWS could be abused. It's almost like if they want to enforce something they could use the existing laws to do it without creating more and more restrictions on us and loopholes for abuse.

Be me. Live in WI where the biggest town in 50 miles from home is 12,000 people. Runner up is 4500. two lane state highways and county trunks are how we get around. Tractors are legal on the roads because 40 years ago there were more of them then cars.
I live along "the main drag", meaning, the state highway used on weekends to "go up 'nort" It should be 4 lanes for the traffic on the weekend. none of it is local, and all surrounding roads are basically empty, but this road gets full. Not always but some.
State made a few sections with a third lane going one direction, to help with congestion so tractors, big trucks, Grandma, can over over for about a mile to help thin it out.
You can see where this is going, but there is more!

There is a 3/4 mile section near my house. in fact, it ends about 100 feet from where my "road" intersects the highway(I live in NOWHERE, my "road" has 2 homes on it in 2 miles)
When I go home, I drive on the side with the passing lane. I have to turn left onto my road.
A law like this would dictate I am to drive in the right lane to let people by, and then cut them off at the last second to make my turn. it is a 3/4 mile stretch, speed limit 55 everyone does 65. The entire stretch takes about 65 seconds to go through at most.
I let people that want to do fast enough for instant license revoke go around to my right. When this lane starts, there is a blind hill about 1/8 mile in and then it is visible to my road. So I can;t go faster until after the hill, or I might find a cop sitting on the one other road that intersects with the highway.
Now, I am not an asshole. Once i know it's clear I move right along. My daily is an AWD Hemi Charger.
Further, if there is a line of heavy trucks or a tractor up further or whatever, I am the first to flat foot it and put 1/4 mile between me and that guy that thinks he is fast behind me so I can turn off before "the finish line"(where the lane ends) and avoid getting killed.

because I swear to you right here, I would be dead already. The finish line is not where you ever want to be, by anyone, ever. I have seen people try to pass with 15 feet of lane left, drive into the grass to do it doing 75.
But wait, there is more!
people will drive in the right lane. YAY! but they know the lane ends because they commute. Do you think they want you to get in front of them? Thje guy that was just doing 52 on the two lane suddenly can't go less then 75 in the right lane for that 3/4 mile. Now, I could care less, i am turning off remember? I actually goad these people. it's amusing. you just come up on them, they speed up, so you ever so slightly continue accelerating. i had a guy in a shatbox red pickup doing 95 once. then I turn my signal on and laugh.

You see, there is no law, ever, that can prevent this stuff. it's like gun control. It is illegal for a felon to own guns. It is illegal to shoot someone, illegal to murder, heck illegal to threaten them. laws do absolutely nothing unless they are enforced, and we ALREADY have plenty of those. new ones just open a door for abuse. Reckless driving, impeding trafic, failure to yield.... why exactly do we need a specific law so crappy cops can do what they did to my brother in law?
I do feel for you people living in metropolisville. If i want to "stretch my legs" I just turn left at the end of my driveway instead of right and head out into the nothing where only the corn witness my... jogging. I give up stuff to live here, but I wouldn't live where you guys do for twice the salary. The entire premise of this thread should be enough explaination why.

making a law to restrict freedom, even the smallest bit, because of an emotional response to traffic is illogical. We don;t need to give them more excuses to curb our freedoms. If you think your daily commute suffers from reckless drivers that impede traffic by failing to yield, call your local enforcement and request some observation for a few days. If they refuse find out why. Talk to your elected sheriff.
IF YOU WANT TO BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT LAW SO EXCESSIVELY YOU WANT TO AVOID INVOLVING POLICE WHY ARE YOU IN FAVOR OF A LAW? WHO IS GOING TO USE IT?
Otherwise just ask them to enforce the ones that exist.

Jesus Chrysler. I guess slogging at 62 in the left lane for miles for no reason screwing up traffic is one of our American Freedoms. Who knew. WTF. No we don’t need more laws. Just use common sense and stay out of the goddam way.

Jesus Chrysler. I guess slogging at 62 in the left lane for miles for no reason screwing up traffic is one of our American Freedoms. Who knew. WTF. No we don’t need more laws. Just use common sense and stay out of the goddam way.
Yep. Look in your frickin' mirrors. You are supposed to look every, what? , 3 seconds. Driver's Ed isn't taught any more in many places.

Left lane camping is against the law here too. Semi's can be the worst. Most of the big company rigs are limited to 65 mph give or take 1 or 2. It might take a few miles or more to complete a pass. 3 lanes would be a bonus here.
And there are organizations that are pushing for all 18 wheelers to be governed @ 65MPH. Oh the joy.

It wont matter what traffic laws they pass in Florida Because no one follows the ones they have now . everyone has their head stuck in their cel phone and drives how they like. A 3 lane road here is like 3 separate roads in one. Its a total free for all. Put in the mix that most drivers are from different states and that most drivers suck anyway, and you have traffic in Florida:fool:. Happy motoring everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back