• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

Would it be easier to make a nice, flat 6x9 template from fresh, flat steel, then move it to where it will match the other side perfectly and then graft/weld it in?
That is a great idea. Thank you!

This seat will not be going back in this car. I have other plans for it.
The speaker deck is next. I don't remember my red car, "Ginger" having these brackets:

My '70 has them also.

The speaker holes are about done.
I considered Hawk’s idea but when I got a closer look, I couldn’t make that work. The rearmost edge of the speaker openings is right near that strange support in the stamping.

6E02933B-CC91-4BC5-80C6-D4D34A327657.jpeg

I would have liked to move the speakers further to the rear but there isn’t room. I guess that I could have made holes fore/aft along the sides but I didn’t like how that looked.

This is how the stock speaker opening looks. I guess that the stamping has that recess for rigidity?

896EEF12-F71B-49A0-A6CB-1F4C71CF57E6.jpeg

I ended up doing as I planned. I pie-cut around the opening, bent them up and took the hammer & dolly to it.

B1CA4823-2C29-4266-9B92-DF0B92B4741E.jpeg

I made a template for the new hole from a plastic cutting board....

2BEC4972-5525-4B5C-ABA5-FA2E046E21B9.jpeg

The holes were cut with an air saw. I need to dress the edges with the grinder to clean it up.

Last edited:
I needed the surface to be flat top and bottom so I traced the outline and cut the holes.
I now think that the stock recess was to allow the speakers to sit flush with the panel so the package tray could lay flat. The stock package tray for cars with speakers has slots.

With the speaker holes done, I sanded the primed areas and test fitted the trim.

JGY 10.JPG

There are a few curves and bends in there that may not be immediately obvious. The way I see it, if the trim fits nice, it must be okay.

JGY 15.JPG

JGY 19.JPG

Looking good so far.

JGY 22.JPG

That corner of the trim needs to come up a little. With it in the right place, it fits nicely.
This sure looks better than before.

XH 231.jpg

XH 232.jpg

XH 259.jpg

In January of this year, I took my red car "Ginger" out for the last drive with the automatic transmission and took a few pictures at nearby Folsom Lake. We have been in a drought so the water level is low. Today I took Jigsaw out to approximately the same spot and took similar pictures.

Folsom 1.JPG
JF 16.JPG

Folsom 4.JPG

View attachment 1179420

JF 17.JPG

I stopped for gas and got 2 compliments on the car. It makes me smile....I got the same reaction with the other car when it was ratty.

Folsom 11.JPG

JF 18.JPG

Folsom 8.JPG

JF 5.JPG

The lake has a 5 mph maximum speed due to the low water conditions. Hardly anyone was there.

Folsom 6.JPG

JF 1.JPG

JF 3.JPG

Six or seven different colors....

JF 7.JPG

Body panels from 6 different cars.

JF 8.JPG

I was tempted to thrash around in the dirt but since the car isn't registered yet, I'd hate to see a Park Ranger impound it!

JF 2.JPG

Body filler looks like it could crack off at any time.

JF 11.JPG

This left fender is in terrible shape. I paid some crazy low price for it 15 or more years ago, something like $20 or $25 at the Van Nuys Spring Fling.

JF 13.JPG

New gas tank and sender.....that reads just as bad as any other reproduction sending unit. I pumped 5-6 gallons in before getting to the lake and the needle went from below empty to barely above empty.

JF 14.JPG

JF 19.JPG

This might sound strange, but I think the look of Jigsaw more than Ginger.
Maybe it's the wheels, or maybe it's the Mad Max look of it in that setting, I'm not sure.

If I had the chance to own either one, I'd take the red car every time.

That Jigsaw though...it looks so badass out on the sand.

Thanks!
It is strange how the junky looking cars seem to interest some people. Gearhead car guys see a beat down car and give me the thumbs up, smile and stare at it. Maybe it is that they see it as more affordable or within their reach as opposed to shiny, finished cars.

Thanks!
It is strange how the junky looking cars seem to interest some people. Gearhead car guys see a beat down car and give me the thumbs up, smile and stare at it. Maybe it is that they see it as more affordable or within their reach as opposed to shiny, finished cars.
Perhaps when people see a running beater they know you have some mechanical talent to get/keep it running? You get respect for being a "builder". On the other hand, there are lots of people with money who just buy a car done, but don't know the first thing about even turning an idle screw. So they may assume a nicely built car like Ginger was just just bought, not built.

I'd be happy to drive either. As a matter of fact I have my nice car (my Limelight 70) and my beater (my Lemon Twist 73). I drive both with a smile!

I have to agree with the comments above. Your red car is gorgeous, but Jigsaw looks badass as-is to me, especially with the black wheel/tire combo. Something about a "beater" that is mechanically stout...ready to kick *** and take names and not at all concerned about another scar.

Love the name Jigsaw for your new project. It does have that Mad Max theme about it. Love to see it when its all done.:thumbsup:

With Ginger being such a nice ride....I'd almost be tempted to keep Jigsaw ratty-lookin'!
Nice work Greg

With Ginger being such a nice ride....I'd almost be tempted to keep Jigsaw ratty-lookin'!
Nice work Greg
Thank you. It is a bit like having a tuxedo and greasy overalls in the same closet.

Greg, are you heading to Van Nuys next weekend?

Oh yeah....I'm driving the truck though and on the lookout for parts.

I have to agree with the comments above. Your red car is gorgeous, but Jigsaw looks badass as-is to me, especially with the black wheel/tire combo. Something about a "beater" that is mechanically stout...ready to kick *** and take names and not at all concerned about another scar.

Thank you to you as well....Yes, It is liberating to have a car that you can drive without worrying about scratches.

Love the name Jigsaw for your new project. It does have that Mad Max theme about it. Love to see it when its all done.:thumbsup:
Mad Max....Yeah ! It does have that "purposeful" sort of look. I compare it to the Roadkill '68 Charger but without the TV fame!

JF 4.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back