• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

Look for a black 04 qc dually with blue flames[ Dodge of course] in the swap area. Thats me. Cu this Saturday.

I need to get off my *** and get it registered and insured.

When I bought the car, I got a signed title in the name of a person other than the guy that sold it to me. This happens all the time, no big deal. The guy started the transfer process by filling out the back of the title as the "new owner".
Today I went to transfer the title. Here in CA, as odd as it sounds, our DMV actually seems to work pretty well. Most transactions are easy.
First though, the title had the prior owners signature where it should be but I thought I should get a legit bill of sale from her. I went to the address on the title. It turns out that she had passed away 5 years ago but I did get a copy of the death certificate. I thought that if they needed additional info, the certificate might show them that it isn't possible. I didn't get that far though.
At DMV, they found that the car was listed as a SALVAGE and to bring it back, I'll need 3 things: A VIN verification by a Peace Officer or DMV official, a brake & lamp inspection and some money.
I may get the car insured through a classic car insurer so I'll have everything set to go once DMV grants me the registration stickers!
I can't legally drive it on the street though.
I'm going to need a trailer!

JF 7.JPG

Hopefully you get lucky and get the same DMV clerk and not a newbie who will give you grief on the return trip. Good luck to you Greg.

When I bought the car, I got a signed title in the name of a person other than the guy that sold it to me. This happens all the time, no big deal. The guy started the transfer process by filling out the back of the title as the "new owner".
Today I went to transfer the title. Here in CA, as odd as it sounds, our DMV actually seems to work pretty well. Most transactions are easy.
First though, the title had the prior owners signature where it should be but I thought I should get a legit bill of sale from her. I went to the address on the title. It turns out that she had passed away 5 years ago but I did get a copy of the death certificate. I thought that if they needed additional info, the certificate might show them that it isn't possible. I didn't get that far though.
At DMV, they found that the car was listed as a SALVAGE and to bring it back, I'll need 3 things: A VIN verification by a Peace Officer or DMV official, a brake & lamp inspection and some money.
I may get the car insured through a classic car insurer so I'll have everything set to go once DMV grants me the registration stickers!
I can't legally drive it on the street though.
I'm going to need a trailer!

View attachment 1185114
You may have seen my post where I was having an issue with Ohio not taking a Vermont registration, I ended up selling it to a friend in Indiana. He walked in and came out with a title. States are so stupid with their quirks. If it's not stolen, shouldn't be a problem. Good luck, sounds easy enough.

Last weekend I was in Los Angeles for the Fall Fling car show. I was able to find a set of wiper linkage and a base for an ash tray. I still need the tray itself. I've been told that the 1970 models are different from the 68 and 69. Mine has a hard plastic cover.
I ordered a couple sets of wiper pivot gaskets so when these parts go in, it should be water tight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2906084228...9&toolid=10001&customid=kvafbwau79000bfs00004

Back on $5000 topic. I picked up this 63 Belvedere stick shift car from a buddy for a lot less than 5G's. Going to be a 413 Max Wedge tribute when done.

20211002_103536_HDR.jpg IMG_0405.jpg IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0427.jpg IMG_0419.jpg IMG_0418.jpg

Good luck with the build, I'd guess that parts for those are not so easy to find.

Progress continues....
With the rear window channel bodywork done, primed and squirted with a few coats of Shopline single stage black, I was ready to install the rear window.
It was just a scant 19 months ago that I removed the original....

RWR 6.jpg

In about a thousand pieces!
Yeah....I was prying on the trim to remove a section and I heard the POP.
Crap.
Anyway.....
I cut and patched the rusty areas, primed, body filler, high build primer, sanding and then paint.
Yesterday I put the trim clips in. Today the glass in in place.
JGY 33.JPG

JGY 34.JPG

JGY 35.JPG

I used 5/16" butyl tape/ribbon and set the glass in place. They provided spacer blocks to keep the glass from sliding down.

JGY 30 A.JPG
JGY 31 A.JPG

I used just over half of the roll. I still have 3/8" tape left over from when I replaced the rear window in Ginger in April...

Glass 01.jpg

Doing it by myself, I had a bit of trouble getting the glass perfectly centered. I had to pry it over using a paint stick.

JGY 38.JPG

JGY 39.JPG

Looking through the glass from the outside, you can tell where the glass squishes the butyl tape and where it doesn't even touch it. The latter indicates a low spot in the window channel. I expected this. To remedy, I smeared window sealant all along the inside perimeter.

JGY 40.JPG

JGY 42.JPG

Once it set up, I used some MEK and a rag to clean up the edges. Did you know that MEK eats nitrile gloves?
I found that out today....Two sets shredded within minutes. Later I checked using a "Duck-duck-go" search and yeah....there are NO gloves that are 100% safe from MEK. Butyl rubber gloves are the most resistant!

The Wife helped me do a leak test after I got the trim in place. SUCCESS !

Looking good Greg!
Coming along nicely. Yeah. I kind of like the "MEAN'" look also.

Doing it by myself, I had a bit of trouble getting the glass perfectly centered. I had to pry it over using a paint stick.

View attachment 1187154

View attachment 1187155

Looking through the glass from the outside, you can tell where the glass squishes the butyl tape and where it doesn't even touch it. The latter indicates a low spot in the window channel. I expected this. To remedy, I smeared window sealant all along the inside perimeter.

View attachment 1187156

View attachment 1187157

Once it set up, I used some MEK and a rag to clean up the edges. Did you know that MEK eats nitrile gloves?
I found that out today....Two sets shredded within minutes. Later I checked using a "Duck-duck-go" search and yeah....there are NO gloves that are 100% safe from MEK. Butyl rubber gloves are the most resistant!

The Wife helped me do a leak test after I got the trim in place. SUCCESS !
very nice job!

Just finished all 57 pages. I've seen some of this posted elsewhere but never the whole thing from the start. Very nice work. Any updates coming?

I wrote about the car at DodgeCharger.com as well.
"Jigsaw" runs and drives. I've had it out on the road a few times but until I get it insured, I can't go far with it.
I want to keep it ratty for awhile though. I have a shiny one.
To transfer title and register it, I have to jump through a few hoops. I need some time off to do all of that and the company I joined last year seems to have work going all the time. I might have to quit to move ahead with the car!

Thanks!
It is strange how the junky looking cars seem to interest some people. Gearhead car guys see a beat down car and give me the thumbs up, smile and stare at it. Maybe it is that they see it as more affordable or within their reach as opposed to shiny, finished cars.
And a lot of people knows what it takes to make a car nice like your red one and many just want to get something running and driving....and then you have guys like me where life got in the way and then after years of bending over backwards, they ended up in a divorce. These days all I want to do is get mine running and don't really care what it looks like just so low as it runs at least a low 13 1/4 mile.

To guys like me that always need a goal to feel alive, driving a ratty car can be inspiring.
Driving the Wife's newer Challenger is nice but not exciting.
Driving an unfinished old car somehow inspires hope, goals and anxious anticipation about what the next improvement might be.
Driving a finished car has almost none of that. At that point, it becomes about preservation and maintenance.
Jigsaw is mechanically sound and reliable. The drive train is not anything fancy or exotic. It is just a mildly rebuilt 383 with a 727 and a basic 8 3/4" axle with 3.91 gears. Costs were kept down by reusing hand-me-down parts that I had or traded for. I have less than $10,000 total in the car including the purchase price.
Driving the car at this point fills me with ideas of what I will do to the interior, the body and paint, the stereo...just like we did in High School.
You guys remember that feeling, right?
We used to find these cars that still ran great but were ratty looking. Youthful optimism doesn't have to end once you're old.

Dude, your story is making me want to remove the rear seat, carpet and radio out my my car and go driving around. Beaters are better!

Auto Transport Service
Back