• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose wire

oldchevelle541

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
Greetings, after parking my 70 Roadrunner in the garage today I noticed a loose wire hanging under the dash. It seems to run from the steering column and thinking it could be horn or turn signals. I went back and checked to see if anything in the general area was not working. All guages work as well as horn and turn signals. I noticed a unique end on the wire which I am not familiar with. With the end in the photo can anyone tell maybe what this wire may be specifc to.

IMG_2124 (2).jpg

Does have power and where does it end. Wouldn't want a live wire floating around.

Does have power and where does it end. Wouldn't want a live wire floating around.
Battery is disconnected for now. Red wire is coming from inside the steering column then drops at the brake pedal towards the floor. I assume the spade style connector fits into some bank of wires but it does appear everything works. Will circle back and do a closer analysis. I dont want to attempt to plug it into anythng until I confirm something is not working. Of course it could have been tucked up in there and hanging loose but hidden for years and finally a bump in the road broke it free.

My bets its either for a key light or key in ignition buzzer switch.

Go to mymopar.com they should have service manual with a wiring diagram for a 70 RR. A phone it would be hard to use. Ipad laptop or a PC with a printer.:thumbsup:

There is a later superseded ignition switch part number that has an extra small gauge black wire that is not used on these cars. It will go to ground when the ign switch is in the crank position only. If that’s what it is, tape it off, tuck it away and forget about it.
Ignition switch instructions.jpg

Interestingly. I could tell the color for sure. Hope Old chevelle posts color.

I see that in the third post now, the picture in the original post sure doesn't look red on my monitor. Whatever it is, doesn't look factory.

Never seen a wire like that on my 70 RR. Let alone that type end on it either or any other late Mopar. Got a test light to see if it’s hot? Red wire? Cigarette lighter or alt gauge hot wire but it’s a ring end. Good luck brother

Thanks all for your suggestions. The wire is red but the close up I took was just to highlight the spade type metal connector. The black area looks to be the sheath that is put on after an end connector is attached to the base wire. I will check to see if it is the buzzer. Buzzer was working earlier in the day but at that time wire was not hanging. Will keep all posted.

Looking on line I think this is referred to a male bullet connector. What it is used for or where yet to be determined.

Those are used for lighting. Map light, ashtray light. If your car doesn’t have those light options it’s just hangs there.

Good Morning, sunny day and went out to revisit loose wire. It is orange not red. I found what appears to be where wire came from because on the top of this white connector (to the right of steering column) I see an orange wire (3rd wire in). On the corresponding plug in bottom connector (black) the 3rd wire from the left is missing. It is tight in there and it appears this port did not have a wire plugged in there for years. The bullet style end of the hanging wire appears clean with no rub marks and with it's size fairly sure it would take some effort to put it from this black connector rather then it just falling out.
Can anyone now suggest what this may be leading to. All guages work, key buzzer works, lights work, dash cluster ligts work. I am thinking maybe cigarette lighter ??

orange wire missing photo 2.jpg

orange wire missing photo 3.jpg

Orange wire photo 1.jpg

Also in response to Bighouse comment. You may be correct because under my dash pad area I do not have that light that sometimes you see on GTX's. With car running using a light tester there appears to be no current coming off the hanging wire.

Thats the column plug and orange would be for a column shift indicator light.

My charger has that same wire hanging from the ashtray light that isn’t optioned. Orange dash wires are for the gauge backlights when your parking lights are on. So it would T off to whatever could light up when dash is lit.

Good Morning, sunny day and went out to revisit loose wire. It is orange not red. I found what appears to be where wire came from because on the top of this white connector (to the right of steering column) I see an orange wire (3rd wire in). On the corresponding plug in bottom connector (black) the 3rd wire from the left is missing. It is tight in there and it appears this port did not have a wire plugged in there for years. The bullet style end of the hanging wire appears clean with no rub marks and with it's size fairly sure it would take some effort to put it from this black connector rather then it just falling out.
Can anyone now suggest what this may be leading to. All guages work, key buzzer works, lights work, dash cluster ligts work. I am thinking maybe cigarette lighter ??
As mentioned, a single small gauge orange wire would indicate the car is a column shift auto, wire is the shift indicator backlight. Originally it would have terminated at the ignition switch Molex, in the cavity you are pointing out is currently empty. When replacing the ign switch, this wire needs to be moved to the new switch Molex. Appears someone didn’t do that and instead installed a male aftermarket bullet connector, likely to use the dash harness three-way female bullet accessory dash illumination tap in the dash harness instead, same function, just not original. Look under the dash for the orange molded three-way female bullet tap, should be right there to the passenger side of the steering column. Aftermarket bullet connectors tend not to be the correct size, may be a loose fit. Or, find the correct sized Molex terminal and restore it to it's original location in the Ign switch Molex connector.
DSC00242-orange.JPG

1970 location below
1970orange.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back