• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost an old tool today....;)

Thrashingcows

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Was cutting some metal with the old Dewalt and a cut-off wheel, the blade caught and sent the grinder across the shop floor, smashing and banging along the way. Smashed the blade up so went to spin it off but the blade lock would no longer work, and now there is a bunch of resistance and a nasty grinding noise when I turn the blade by hand.

APsWfCqh.jpg

Guess after 20+ years of faithful service it was the final drop that sent it on it's way to tool Valhalla.:(

So I need to pick up a new angle grinder...recommendations?

Buy another DeWalt....LOL
Actually, You may be able to still buy replacement parts from Dewalt to repair what got damaged. It would be worth checking online. I found parts for an old DeWalt drill several years ago.

Is there a Heaven for old-faithful tools? I bought a few power tools in the last two years, seems more than I had in the past 10! Grinder, saw, sander, drill, weed whacker (last two are battery operated and Milwaukee brand-happy with those so far). I have other Milwaukee tools - sawzall and couple DeWalt tools that have been trouble-free. Working on commercial construction sites see alot of guys use Milw, DeWalt, Makita, tools. A lot of brands to choose from...prices vary a lot. I got a couple tools that were cheaper - Rockwell sander and a small 2.5" power saw - no hassles so far; but haven't used those as much as the others and figured I wouldn't so bought at a lower price. I've done some checking on 'reviews'. One of those things where there's a ton of choices and makes me wonder what one to buy! Can also see what ones are on sale and that led me to buy the Milw drill for a hundred bucks while pondering what one to buy. I likely didn't help ya much...lol

Check the brushes.

It sounds like one may have come apart.

I thought I had lost one of my angle grinders (a $15 pawn shop special that has held up well) and luckily found one in the dumpster the next time I needed to use one (yeah, my life is like that sometimes). I finally got around to throwing the old one away after removing the wheel, and decided to check the brushes.

One of them was badly cocked and worn at a severe angle.
I hit it with the grinding wheel, back down to level, reinstalled and it worked perfect.

Om my compound, sliding mitre saw, I had almost the same issue except it would run if you spun it by hand.
On that one, simply turning the brush around fixed it.

Kind of sounds like yours may have broken a spring.

Last edited:
Every year the national big box store has Skil 4-1/2 grinders on sale at Christmas for $29.95. I buy one every year as a spare. I have four in the shop - each with a different attachment - and don't want to be delayed if one screws up. Usually its a bearing in the head that goes and these are replaceable. I keep the busted ones and fix them when I have time. In this case I've gone for quantity as opposed to quality but in actual fact they are pretty good units and I probably put more time on these than an average user.

Just noticed the OP is in Canada - its Canadian Tire that has the sale every year.

I don't think the damage is in the motor, but in the head with the gearing. Since the blade lock no longer works, and when I spin the blade and hold onto the head it sure feels like the gears have broken and no longer meshing properly.

Yup will be heading to Canadian Tire today, Thank you all for your comments and advice.:thumbsup:

Get the heavier amp one with this style trigger. It's worth the extra money.
20200815_175408.jpg

20200815_175414.jpg

I worked in a fabrication shop building military safes using ware plate. 10 guys grinding all day and they were hard on equipment and tools, not alone how hard the material was and what it took to grind. We must have tried every grinder made. Milwaukee, Makita plus all the cheap ones that the boss got duped into buying by fly by salesmen. This grinder always came out on top and became the only one we used.

might as well take it apart and see what you find TC. If not wall art for the new shop!

This evening I got the broken blade off and plugged it in and tried it...motor powered up but shaft would not turn, and I was sad. So shut it off and gave the head a whack on the bench and tried it again and now it works! No idea if this will last or fail again once there is a blade in place but it's a turning for now.

Was cutting some metal with the old Dewalt and a cut-off wheel, the blade caught and sent the grinder across the shop floor, smashing and banging along the way. Smashed the blade up so went to spin it off but the blade lock would no longer work, and now there is a bunch of resistance and a nasty grinding noise when I turn the blade by hand.

View attachment 988926

Guess after 20+ years of faithful service it was the final drop that sent it on it's way to tool Valhalla.:(

So I need to pick up a new angle grinder...recommendations?

Get one with a clutch
Probably cheaper than having yours repaired

Going with a new DeWalt is not a bad idea. Especially since a lot of their power tools are made right here in the good "Ol US of A.

So shut it off and gave the head a whack on the bench and tried it again and now it works! No idea if this will last or fail again once there is a blade in place but it's a turning for now.
images.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back