• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machining a cast crank in the rough.....

I recall the smell of the coolant called TrimSol, I couldn’t get that out of my nose forever.. It was water based, if it turned nasty you’ll know .. It smelled the entire shop up. I preferred the smell of cutting oil over the Trim Sol...

Cutsol is what I have in the shop, just enough to keep metal from rusting. Stinks like hell...

I recall the smell of the coolant called TrimSol, I couldn’t get that out of my nose forever.. It was water based, if it turned nasty you’ll know .. It smelled the entire shop up. I preferred the smell of cutting oil over the Trim Sol...
TrimSol sounds like the stuff we used.....and same thing. We had antibacterial tabs to add to it but hardly anyone did that plus they would mix the TrimSol way too rich and it would smoke. Hated it to the point that I'd thin it way down which helped but ended up machining dry. After doing some research and talking to some tooling tech guys, I went for it. The down side was the part would heat up and had to let it cool down before making finish cuts but that was usually break time anyways :D

Auto Transport Service
Back