• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made in Japan

Dibbons

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
Should I believe this chrome coil is really "high performance"? I get the feeling it may just be high performance chrome. On the bottom is inscribed "Japan". You never know what you're getting when you purchase a "complete" 340--oil pan to air cleaner these days. It's no larger than a stock coil on the outside, shake it and I can tell it's still very full of oil. It was getting rusty, so I was bored and applied one coat of Naval Jelly to clean it up a bit. I notice it has threads on the secondary terminal connector.

coil chrome Japan.JPG

That is a good coil, I have one. Seriously. Got it used and used it and it’s really a good unit. 30+ years now. Must. Have had 20 people point and laugh at it.
Back in the day Japan was good electrical parts.
The threads are for a plastic ring with a rubber seal to seal water out of the coil wire.

a MSD blaster II is stock size. And they are really nothing great either.

I just noticed a number in the lower left corner of the label: "990500088" which I am sure is not traceable back to anything.

I would use Made in Japan stuff more over made in China crap any day. There are plenty of good cars and parts coming out of Japan. China not so much I mean if you need something that is disposable then China stuff is the go to.

I clearly remember being pro-American manufacturing back in the "made in Japan" days.

No we look back fondly on that time.

Japan is years ahead on technology from most of the world ( in some areas even from USA ). Why don't trust on those parts ? Of course there is also a risk on get a bad quality part, but just as any other part also made in USA

Last edited:
The Made in Japan stigma about poor quality was because of substandard ( at the time ) materials. Japan has almost no natural resources of manufacturing materials and has to import about everything. After the War ( WWII ) scrap metal was all that was available and of very inconsistent quality. Technology was not the problem. Since the war both Germany and Japan had to build new manufacturing facilities as those were the allies main targets during the war. With primarily US aid $$$ they were able to rebuild and move ahead of the rest of the world in both quality of end product and technology. Germany excelled in automotive and mechanical products and Japan in Electronics. Look at Sony, Mitsubishi, etc... Germany automotive, precision gauges, optics, tooling etc... At least made in Japan or Germany meant that it was probably made by a Japanese or German . Made in America now ??who knows ?? A lot of "Mopar" products are and have been for a long time made in Canada and Mexico . As each countries labor cost increase they go to the local "to thems" lower wage countries to at least assemble their stuff. Korea, Malaysia, Taiwan were where a lot of the shift went to. Just the way it happens. In an International economy where it was made is meaning less and less as much as when it was made.

Made in Japan doesn't bother me, they seam to make a good product. China... Hell no although there are American companies that design and oversee products made in China that aren't bad but I still avoid them if possible out of spite.

Made in Japan doesn't bother me, they seam to make a good product. China... Hell no although there are American companies that design and oversee products made in China that aren't bad but I still avoid them if possible out of spite.

Choosing where and how you spend your money isn't spite per say....it's just being a little fussy ....and i do agree.

Made in Japan way back in the post WW2 era may have been a problem quality wise like Made in China is now, although I don't think Japan ever put out as crappy a product as China does.
When Sony ES (Elevated Standard) electronics began to be produced in Malaysia, only their highest quality, highest performance models, flagship models, were still Made in Japan. I have a few of those models, and they are BY FAR some of THE finest quality products in audio video available.

My Mickey Thomson aluminum M/T valve covers (circa 1979) were ''Made in Japan''.
All of my Brass HO Scale Steam Locomotives (circa 1969) were ''Made In Japan''.

Last edited:
Japan has produced quality stuff over the past 50 years. Roland (great synthesizer keyboards like the highly valued and sought after Jupiter 8). Honda (I'm daily driving a 2001 Accord V6 coupe with 129K miles). Tamiya (reference standard for military models and RC tanks).

Don't confuse made in Japan products with subpar Chinese junk (sorry Bruce Lee..)

China doesn't make just bad things, but just the bad things are more spreaded out being cheap and easier to reach.

Sorry the off topic replies.

Google W Edwards Deming , Japan listened when America turned its nose up. Ill take stuff from Japan any day especially over the lowest bidder, China.

Auto Transport Service
Back