• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master cylinder and proportioning valve disc brake conversion

James Memmel

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
I need to know what master cylinder and proportioning valve I have to put on my 69 Coronet because I'm doing a CCP disc brake conversion on the car

When I put manual discs on my '55 Plymouth wagon, I used a Raybestos MC36412 master cylinder and the AAR proportioning/distribution valve from therammaninc.com
Plaza brake distribution valve and lines.jpg
Plaza MC lines.jpg

lots of choices here. just make sure you match a front disc/rear drum master to your system. easy way to do prop valve. figure your car was x4 drum is to install an adjustable prop valve just after the distribution block to the rear. adjust as noted with valve. take a look at mancini racing or some other site. will answer most of your questions.

Boy it would be really nice if they would have gave me instructions on how these brake lines go on this and where they go cuz I am totally lost
20180619_191941_Film1.jpg
20180619_191859_Film1.jpg
20180619_191941_Film1.jpg
20180619_185946_Film1.jpg
20180619_191921_Film1.jpg

That looks like a later combination valve.
If so, front disk supply from the master cylinder (from the rear reservoir) goes in that top brass screw in fitting.
Front disk are supplied from the two adjacent ports to the top valve connection.
As you are looking at the valve mounted in the car, the rear drum supply ( from the front reservoir) goes in the front connection of the valve.
The rear drums are supplied from the rear port on the valve.
I have used this valve on B body conversions with my own "MOPAR" junkyard parts.
After typing, I realize this may or may not be helpful.
It appears you have some other type of distribution block as well.
I have used nothing else.

mCew74tk8J4o9_XsJFnxrVQ.jpg

When I put manual discs on my '55 Plymouth wagon, I used a Raybestos MC36412 master cylinder and the AAR proportioning/distribution valve from therammaninc.com
View attachment 584135 View attachment 584136
Taking a really hard look at this picture here the way I'm seeing it is that extra little block on the side of that distribution block is for the front disc brakes from what I can see correct me if I'm wrong please cuz this is driving me crazy

Go to therammaninc.com and find the E-body proportioning valves. There's a diagram for plumbing that valve in the "details/addto cart" for the TA valve. If you zoom the photos I posted earlier you should see how the lines go. There should be one port plugged.

Taking a really hard look at this picture here the way I'm seeing it is that extra little block on the side of that distribution block is for the front disc brakes from what I can see correct me if I'm wrong please cuz this is driving me crazy
Yes. For the fronts, it's one line in the top of the proportioning valve and one line out to the distribution block. The other front brake port on the proportioning valve gets plugged.

Last edited:
The front brake line from the MC feeds into the hex end of your proportioning valve. The rear brake line from the MC goes into the proportioning valve on the other side of the brake warning switch then directly out the other side to the rear. The front calipers are fed from the attached distribution block

Now that's really confusing I'm getting so pissed off or I'm going to sell this f****** car and I buying a car with disc brakes so I don't have to do this

In my first photo, the line going into the bottom of the proportioning valve behind the purple wire is the rear brake line from the MC.

So another words basically that little block on the side with the three Outlets that controls the front disc brakes correct

If that's the case then everybody's been telling me wrong cuz they're telling me that that little block is say has something to do with the rear brakes

Correct. You need to make up a short line from the front brake out port on the proportioning valve to the port on the distribution block. In my first photo it's the one with the reddish fitting on one end and a gold colored one on the other. Then plug the port on the proportioning valve opposite that

Yeah okay now I understand it if I would have known that that little valve operates the front I would have had this down packed what a night LOL

They may be confused as there will be a brake distribution block in the rear. Makes no sense to run two lines all the way to the rear of the car. Look very closely at my first photo and you can see the old dirty brake line going to the rear of the car.

Last edited:
My Kindle keeps correcting proportioning to proportionality. I think I re-edited them all, but if I missed any, you know what I meant

Auto Transport Service
Back