• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starter Question

ChargerChad

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
I'm planning to do a complete rebuild of my '71 383 this winter, which will include a full TTI header/exhaust system. TTI mandates a mini starter in the '71 B-Body for header fitment. My question is if there is a mini starter out there that keeps that classic Mopar starter sound.

I love that sound.

I doubt it. There is something different about Minis. Nothing like that Classic Mopar starter sound. I miss it, but the mini works good with headers.

Sound? Sorry, I like the sound of my car starting! The mini-starters have permanent
magnets instead of field coils so they have more power. Denso starters are very high
quality pieces. Don't fall for a $300.00 Super Duper shiny starter. Get a re-built Denso
and forget about it!

I have a mini starter on my car but I do miss that direct drive starter sound that is classic Mopar.

If you can test fit it on engine before install. Sometimes you need to trim power stud or grind block. I bought a NAPA mini, $60.

I'm using Summit Racing minis on all my mopars!

Can they do that???? Never heard of it being done.
That would be one solution.

given the extreme reluctance of my 400 to start, i am glad the mini, despite its toy train sound, runs forever!!

I don't give a **** what the starter sounds like, as long as it spins my 500" motor over.

I don't give a **** what the starter sounds like, as long as it spins my 500" motor over.
Exactly. That old hot soak kiss of death whine was a death curse. Went Mini starter on my Mopars over 17 years ago and never looked back.

If I like the old nostalgic direct drive Mopar starter whine does that make me a purist?

If I like the old nostalgic direct drive Mopar starter whine does that make me a purist?
You are what you are. Just make sure to keep your AAA road service and towing up to date.

You are what you are. Just make sure to keep your AAA road service and towing up to date.
I only like the sound but I have a mini starter on my car so no AAA road service needed.

Sound? Sorry, I like the sound of my car starting! The mini-starters have permanent
magnets instead of field coils so they have more power. Denso starters are very high
quality pieces. Don't fall for a $300.00 Super Duper shiny starter. Get a re-built Denso
and forget about it!
Couldn't agree more. The factory Denso starters (fits Magnum engine series) are tough as hell,
small enough to even get along with cheap headers and if one ever lays down on you, it's a quick
trip to the local parts store for a replacement under warranty.
The one I have on Fred is a dozen years old and has outlasted three engines, untold long/hard
starts, all the heat of el cheapo Hedman headers and everything else - and it's a parts store rebuild!

I think it makes you a `70`s Hollywood afficanado. Jk:thumbsup:
Boy, ain't that the truth. Seemed like they used the Chrysler starter sound effect on almost any
car back in those days. :lol:

It’s been a long time since I’ve heard any starter that sounded like the original starter on my 67 Fury with a 440.

I just remember laying on my back in 0* to remove my '70 starter. I did learn how to rebuild them though. So that was a positive. Again, if sound is what you want, more power to you.

Auto Transport Service
Back