• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most comfortable classic to travel cross country.

Back in college break, I did a cross-country in a Lincoln continental. Awesome ! So, I'd tend to think the best starting point would be a C body for comfort.

I had a couple of M bodies but not a 5th Ave. I really liked those cars
View attachment 1342065
When I first started at Chrysler in 86 we were building, Dodge Diplomats, Plymouth Gran fury's and Chrysler 5th Ave's. I drove a ton of these cars and that 5th Ave, for it's time was a beautiful car and rode very nice!!! I would get them on the weekends for what they called evaluation testing.

Got to be a C body, and a loaded up one. Early 70s Polara/Monaco or Fury in my book.

E3DE35D5-B35B-4772-A5DD-4A734B4BC3F9.jpeg

My brother-in-law had a '77 Dodge Royal Monaco Brougham when I was a teenager. He later gave that to his stepdad, who drove that until around 2004, when he got too old to drive safely. Black on black two-door with the formal roof and cloth/leather seats. Oooh, a factory sunroof, too! With the 360, it did plenty well on the freeway. We used that as a commuter car back in early 1979, after he sold his '69 SF coupe (383 auto). That car is why I'm looking for a '77 Dodge RMB coupe. It wasn't a powerhouse, but it was exceptionally comfortable.

Sharp car ! Never seen that type of drivers side exhaust manifold before.
C-body driver side exhaust manifold was unique design to miss steering shaft. Exhaust exited between third and fourth port, instead of behind fourth port as on B-body. If this was a 4-Bbl car, there would have been a sheet metal "stove" over the finned area to pipe heat to the air cleaner to help the automatic choke in cold climates.

69 Coronet. Rides like a Cadillac. Cross Country twice. I too am spoiled with modern technology. Mostly the quiet cabins. Traffic is so fucked up across the Country that you HAVE to be prepared to idle extended times in stopped traffic at 90 degrees on almost every trip. Construction everywhere. 81 North into New York is so bumpy, stuff was flying out of pickup trucks.
Are you old enough to remember the term Boulevard Ride? Anything with 4 coil springs in the big cars would never handle like cars that had leafs and torsion bars.
Had a 68 300 2 dr with TNT and heavy duty suspension. Rode and handled very well.

Last edited:
We had a 1987 5th Ave. for a number of years. It was a nice comfortable car with all the creature comforts. However, it was basically a gussied up Volare, and gave up about 10" of wheelbase and almost 1 ,000 pounds of weight over a C-body. The longer wheelbase and extra weight are what gives the big yachts the advantage as cross country cruisers. Not to mention extra passenger and trunk room. Most of the cars also ran 2.76 gears, so fuel mileage was no worse than a B-body with 3.23's.

Have put on 1000’s of miles in our black interior, adjusted my wife’s seat and mine for us. We have driven a couple of 12 hour stretches very comfortable.
On the other hand, a friend who has a nice stable of cars, wanted a certain Challenger for a long time. Drove it home about 400 miles. Said he had forgotten how poorly they rode, don’t think he ever took it more than 100 miles to a car show.

I've done a few long trips in my Sport Satellite convert. As long as the weather is nice. 318 auto. Decent gas mileage and smooth on the highway. I did a 5 hour trip in the heat of summer. Very comfy.
satellite 003.jpg

Since getting my wife's 67 Fury wagon, it's been on a couple of 2+ hour trips. Rides like a boat. 318 auto runs smooth and cruises nice and quiet. Very comfortable.

67 Fury wagon 1.jpg

Out of the ones mentioned Imperial all day long.

Drove a 68 imperial 4 door home from southern Tenn to Northern Ky once.
.440 auto and air. 2.76 rear.

100 mph cruise all day long and never break a sweat. And that was on bias ply tires back then.

I used to have a 1972 Fury as my daily driver back in the 80s.
Even with a 318 that car liked to roll on the hiways

You guys are making me want a cruiser car.
I’ve not mellowed but I am curious about how I’d like a soft ride and really comfortable seats.
I drive a lowered Ram 1500.
The Wife has a Challenger R/T.
I’ve never owned a really comfortable car. I’ve always driven pickups for work and hit rod type cars for fun.
I have thought about a Fifth Avenue but the flogged out 318 would have to remain stock here in CA.
When I move away, I might look into a clean Fifth Ave. is build a mild 360 or a stroked roller cam 318 to get some more punch but still keep a mild cam for economy.

I think the best riding B-body I ever had was my 1967 Coronet 3-seat station wagon. I had it on the scales at the drag strip and it weighed 4250 lbs. with 440 and 4-speed in it. One year I swapped the 3.55's out of it for 2.94's and we drove it to my wife's sister's place in Tifton, Ga. (from near London, Ontario). From there my son, brother-in-law, and I went to Garlit's museum in Ocala, Fl. I had cruise control in it and we did a lot of the trip at 75-80 mph. on I-75. I had "cloned" it to resemble a never-built R/T wagon, complete with bucket/buddy seat interior, 150 mph speedo, hood scoop and all proper trim and R/T signage. It ran down the interstate pretty good with the 2.94's, but took a little bit to get it launched in low gear. We got quite a few looks with it.

scan0001[2].jpg

scan0002[2].jpg

scan0003[1].jpg

My favorite all time cruising car for long trips are the 71-72 B bodies. What makes them better to me than the other B bodies is the wider overall stance and the wider springs stance in the back, they handle and ride better than the other B’s. The bucket and bench seats ride better than the pre70 era. Seems like the 71-72 B’s have less road noise and sqeaks than the 70 and earlier also. We have later b bodies like a 73 Road Runner and later Magnums, the isolated k member on the later B’s to me went backwards, 71-72 with front and rear anti sway bars IMHO was the most comfortable, best handling AND best riding of 60-70s era mopars. I love our 69 Charger and bee, but my favorite car to drive everyday is our 72 cars.

We used to go on family holidays in my 68 Town and Country wagon...that car rides like a dream and the bench seats are like sitting on a comfy couch. We would usually travel 1000-1500 miles during the trips.

My '72 Satellite wagon has made I don't know how many road trips - MD to FL, MD to WV, MD to NY...we used it as the "road trip car" in college. I've made the run to FL stock (318/904/489 case 8.75 3.23 SG); mildly modified (318 4bbl/headers/duals/727/8.75 3.23 SG); and quite modified (360/380 crate motor, reverse-manual 727 with 2400 stall, headers, duals, MP SS/D rear leaf springs, and the same 8.75 rear). Comfy every trip - including when we had the trunk FULL of stuff (like, under the floor AND over the floor, to the headliner) along with six people. No complaints. Air shocks helped on that run, though (nice for 1.6 60' times at the track, too!).

I haven't put a ton of miles on the Charger...but it's comfy around town, I'd bet it would make a great cruiser too once I get rid of the Dronemaster mufflers. It sure rode nice from MD to Carlisle last year :)

I like my B's.

In 1978 I sold my '69 Coronet 500 and I purchased a '73 Fury 3 nine passenger wagon. What a cruiser it was. We took a trip to Florida and back, 2200 miles. I really enjoyed that one, and it was a comfortable, quiet and fast. Later that year my wife Totaled it!:cursin: PS, It wasn't her fault:)

1971-2 Imperial gets my vote for comfort, second choice would be a 300 or NY. After that it would be a 71-2 B-body especially if you want a car that can somewhat handle as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back