• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 64 Polara Gen3 Hemi Build

lxmodguy

Gen3 Hemi Guru
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
Well here goes nothing. This is the start of my Modern EFI Hemi build. I have posted up some pictures of my 64 Polara.

Here is a link for those of you that missed them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63153668@N02/sets/72157629856444607/

Some of this stuff I have, some I am planning on getting

Nag1 Mercedes/Mopar 5 Speed automatic

Nag1 Standalone programmable transmission control
(this setup would bolt right up to a 383/440 BTW)

AJE Tublar k member w rack and pinion and coil overs & ssbc disks
http://www.ajeracing.com/mopar.php

Factory Dodge ECM & Harness

5.7 block (probably going to build a 392 cubic inch motor)
basically a 4 inch stroke stock bore

I will be running some Eagle heads, they are awesome small bore heads.
I will get them ported by the guys at GTP in houston.

I have a cam design that has been very successful in the gen3 stroker motors I have built so far. The rough specs are 236/248 @50 with low .600 lifts ICL/LSA are proprietary.

Goals
Basically the car should weigh somewhere under 3400#'s.

The motor should make well north of 500 wheel horsepower through the 5 speed auto, with a 3000-4000 stall.
It should be daily driver friendly, get 25mpg on the highway.
My guess based on 4400# lx cars running high 10's with the same setup...this this should run low 10's easily. I should be able to drive it to the track, pull the drag radials out of the trunk and slap em on, and run 10's in any weather.

I would love feedback. I am anxious to hear suggestions on the rear suspension. What do you guys think?

That is gonna be one bitchin car when done. Keep postin' the ****. Go with the 4 link and d60, it's bomb proof!! Who's making the stand alone trans controller?? Let the tear down begin.

Its only for the NAG1, but one of my vendors makes a stand alone controller. A properly build NAG1 can handle 1200 ft pounds of torque. The first 3 gears are so tall you can run a 3.06,3.23, or 3.55 and not give up anything on acceleration

Truly gonna be a sick car when done. With the 3.06, I bet gas mileage is going to be outstanding.

if the car wasn't a completely original survivor I would be cutting the floor out and putting a new challenger rear sub frame with IRS. I am really struggling with that though. Everything I am doing at this point can just un-bolt and be put back to stock.

I've made up my mind on the engine specs for my build

11:1 5.7 based 392 with eagle heads.

230's/240's cam with .600 ish lift.

Long tubes

Should make 550+ at the wheels and about 670 at the flywheel

That'll get the groceries quickly!

It should be a completely gnarly

Glad ya got it fired up and running. I was thinking that you had the 3g hemi in it already when we were talking about the ignition, doh, my bad!!

if the car wasn't a completely original survivor I would be cutting the floor out and putting a new challenger rear sub frame with IRS. I am really struggling with that though. Everything I am doing at this point can just un-bolt and be put back to stock.

Considering the level of modification (and $$) already planned, and that the car, though a nice survivor, is not a real low prod. number car, I'd go late model rear end. All the up to date upgrades deserve the IRS rear and I think a leaf sprung rear end would really compromise the outcome...

Last edited:
So progress update
Scored a new 6.1 block
ended up getting a new 6.1 rotating assembly for a song

so the car will be a 6.1 with eagle heads, I will custom grind a cam for it. It should end up about 500 wheel horsepower and still run on pump gas. It should also see significant gains from running race gas on my trips to the track.

http://youtu.be/8bSmn_DwdP0

She's about ready to drive around a bit while I build the 6.1
waiting on a master cylinder, have to run the new brake lines, flush out the tank(running off a gas can), clean up some wiring and check fluids and such. Should be all good to make a cruise sometime shortly

Last edited:
Well, whats going on? Have ya done anymore work? Enquiring minds want to know.

I will post some pictures. So far I have the rotating assembly sitting in the garage. My block fell through. Still looking for the block unfortunately.

So a small update, the LX platform independent rear suspension will not fit. It is about 5 inches too wide. I don't think I can make up 5+ inches with wheel offset.

EDIT - Moser called me today and after talking to them we decided on a modded fabricated 9 inch. It will be able to hold whatever I throw at it. It is all about the center section, build the right one and it will be bullet proof.

Also, the front end stuff is at the powder coat guy right now. It should ship Friday

That means I get to do my first real piece of documentation.....The tubular front end swap. That should be awesome. Tubular front end, coil overs, rack and pinion, sway bar. Should rock

Last edited:
The Moser rear end showed up today. Off to the powder coating guy tomorrow. I am waiting on the suspension, hopefully tomorrow.
a6934815-99db-bbef.jpg

Man that thing looks tough! Just curious, how much did something like that set you back?

$1400 with axles. Not too bad consider. Probably $1550 after my powder coating guy does his thing. I need it to hold up no matter how stupid I get putting power to it

That is a super deal! What is the spline count on the axles? Is that set up for a stock 62-5 B body rear suspension i.e. spring perches and shock mounts? I ask because I am looking to upgrade my rear end to be bullet proof and that looks to be absolutely killer and a super good price!

Auto Transport Service
Back