• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '67 Charger project

dpstark2

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to start a thread to catalog my progress and open up some discussion- and maybe help a few people out along the way. I bought my '67 Charger about two years ago. It ran, but that's about all. One of the reasons I bought it is that the body is all original and free of rust in the critical, hard to find and replace panels. It only has one dent- the driver's side door. After a lot of work to get it roadworthy, I found it had a cracked crank that was spewing oil out the pilot bushing hole in the crank. So I built a 440 for it. That one ate a cam (let this be a lesson on using high quality break in oil and having your valve springs checked). So I built it again. It's on the road and doing pretty well now (and it runs cool, too!).

My overall goal is to make this car a fun driver with as many modern comforts as I can muster. Long term, I plan on converting to Megasquirt fuel injection, complete with ignition control. That's about to start. I also have a set of 3.55's and a Sure Grip to put in, along with a console and floor shifter. A/C will happen down the road a bit. I plan to leave the body alone for now. Most everythign that can wear has been replaced. I have a lot of pictures here, but I need to get some more current ones up.

We're all looking for info- if anyone has any questions, please ask!

-Doug

==========================================
Some funny anecdotes:
1. The HVAC box was full of corn kernels.
2. The motor had mismatched left and right rocker arms (and not 8 + 8, either).
3. The HVAC ducting had been "fixed" in one spot with a cut open can of carb cleaner.
4. Someone that owned the car really, really like candy.

Important stuff done so far:

Motor:
'74 440 block
Factory forged crank, factory rods
Comp 224/230 cam and roller rockers
10:1 compression Ross pistons
Edelbrock RPM heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold
Edelbrock 800 cfm carb
TTI 2" headers and 3" full exhaust
Aluminum water pump and housing
MP viscous fan

Electrical:
200 A alternator for future electrical upgrades
Fully rewired with M&H wiring harness
Rebuilt the factor gauge cluster, EL now works
Added headlight relays
Moved headlight motor relays to the engine bay
MSD 6A ignition box

Transmission:
B&M shift kit
1-2 shift correction spring
5800 rpm governor
B&M 2400 rpm torque converter

Suspension and drivetrain:
Fully rebuilt suspension
New XHD leaf springs
Disc brake coversion (A-body parts)
Rebuilt steering column and shift mechanism
3.55 Sure Grip (soon!)

Misc:
Painted the engine bay and dash
Fixed window mechanisms
Rebuilt HVAC box
Factory radiator cleaned and resoldered

Attachments

• DSCN1504.jpg
    DSCN1504.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 354
Great project, body looks super clean!
Like all the pics, thanks for sharing.

hmmm very nice,:headbang:

Very nice car! Good luck getting it just the way you want.. Looking forward to any updates, the 67 Charger was my first Mopar!

Thanks for all the comments. Here's an updated picture of the engine bay now that it's done... Err, well, done for now... More pics...

Attachments

• 2012-03-30 20.05.20 (3).jpg
    2012-03-30 20.05.20 (3).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 314
looks like you've done alot of work to it already.It really looks nice.

Great progress

That reminds me of my first charger a white car with black interior (originally gold with citron interior and painted panels lol) it was a 383 car that I put a 72 440 in.

My current 66 has been down to a shell and I have been putting it back together slowly.

Great build. I am right around the corner from you in Discovery Bay. I bought a red charger from a guy named ed (67 383 2 barrel column shift car) out in Tracy in 2001. Sold it on moparts to get married....

Im following along on this one!

Looks like a great car and a lot of work done thus far. I may be picking your brain if you don't mind on the 200A conversion you did. Looking to do the same, but only at 140Amp.

Alternator info

Sorry for the late reply. I'm happy to provide info on the alternator. That unit is a Powermaster- CS144 case, 200A beast... it's a bit much. There are others making 140-170A units (same case) much cheaper. Mine is also a 1-wire unit, which is fine, but does draw 8mA constant with the car off... not enough to drain it over night or a week, but can cause issues if you leave it for say a month... It fits fine, but I had to make a simple bracket to get it mounted and use a bunch of spacers to get the pulley alignment right. But yeah, it works. For what I have planned, I figured I needed at least a 140 A unit, and I got this one used for a lot less than a new 140.

Auto Transport Service
Back