• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '71 Duster 340 pays a visit to Nick's Garage

And then yesterday morning, my daughter told me another post was made with the car in the air, transmission removed.
She said "Daddy, your transmission is out and on the surgeon's table" :lol:

IMG_2274.jpeg

So after I saw the transmission was removed, I reached out to Nick for an update.
He responded with a picture and a couple of short videos of what he discovered upon initial observation.
After seeing the pics and video, I appreciated even more that I'm having the transmission worked on now instead of waiting to make it a retirement project in a few years.

Drastic play in the shift levers as you can see here.

Bearings….this video says it all.

And that input shaft looks like someone’s been rubbing it the wrong way LOL…

IMG_3693.jpeg

Wow, those bearings are bad. Must have made a hell of a racket going down the road?

That car is perfect!! I've owned a few 340's and like them more than a big block, just my opinion. Small, quick and room to work on in any car. Thanks for sharing!! ....... Ulli

Wow, those bearings are bad. Must have made a hell of a racket going down the road?
Quite honestly, I've never owned a 4-speed car so I had nothing to compare it to. The drive train was noisy, but not so that I felt it urgent or pressing to pull the transmission anytime soon. The whiny noise I always chalked up to it being "older technology". Boy was I wrong. I'm thinking I may be in for a whole new experience when I get the car back. Wow!

You will be pleasantly surprised as to how nice a fresh rebuilt 833 shifts.

Nick told me the Duster will be on his YouTube channel live this Friday at 7pm EST. I'm looking forward to that :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back